Covert Affairs -- "No Quarter" -- 08/03/10

Old 08-03-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Covert Affairs -- "No Quarter" -- 08/03/10

Covert

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Annie is stranded in Zurich with a Mossad agent whom she doesn't trust, while Auggie tries to bring her back. Meanwhile, Joan and Arthur try to find a leak within the organization, and Auggie seems to fit the bill.

Episode 4 of 11

Special Guest star is Oded Fehr

Promo:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfkPpXe5rbo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfkPpXe5rbo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Finally, an international oriented episode!

Last edited by DJariya; 08-03-10 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Covert Affairs -- "No Quarter" -- 08/03/10

This episode was good, but not great. I felt like it was a missed opportunity to really utilize the international locale (Switzerland) even though I know this show is shot entirely in Toronto.

Please explain something to me. Not familiar with how blind people are able to use a computer, but how the hell was Auggie able to read Oded Fehr's character's profile off his laptop? I saw him touch a little braille pad, but that made no sense to me.

Oded Fehr was a pretty guest star and I think they left it open for a posssible re-apperance in the future. However, I thought the banter between him and Annie just didn't work for me. It was way too playful and cutesy. I would have liked him to be a little more serious with her since she's a rookie and didn't know all the ropes even though he was Mossad.

This show isn't perfect and I can see that it has a few bumps, but what rookie show doesn't?

Last edited by DJariya; 08-04-10 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-04-10, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought this was the best episode of the series so far. Good blend of suspense, action and humor. Oded Fehr was a great guest star, as expected. Hope he turns up again.

One question: Why do spies and thieves carry those conspicuous silver metal briefcases? They just scream "there's valuable shit in here!"

(The polygraph scene, though, was as lame as the one in the Pilot. Note to writers: find a more creative way to tell your story.)
Old 08-04-10, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk God

^^ I agree that the Polygraph scene with Auggie was a waste of time.

Yeah seriously could they not be more obvious that they were carrying top secret intelligence in those big ass silver briefcases.

I agree with you that the episode had alot of good moments and it was probably the most action packed episode of the ones that have aired so far.

I like Oded Fehr alot, but I don't think they really utilized him enough other than firing a few rounds and some cutesy babble with Annie. I would have liked a well chereographed fight scene with him.
Old 08-04-10, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Please explain something to me. Not familiar with how blind people are able to use a computer, but how the hell was Auggie able to read Oded Fehr's character's profile off his laptop? I saw him touch a little braille pad, but that made no sense to me.
I have a feeling that most of the blind tech stuff is to be taken with a grain of salt, kinda like Marshall's gadgets on Alias and the gadgets on Chuck. There might be some science and truth behind it, but most of it is just used as a convenient device to solve a problem.
Old 08-04-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Pretty good episode. The lie detector stuff and the Gallagher/Matchett stuff dragged the episode down a little. I wonder about the budget of the show though if they're going to continue shooting scenes in international destinations.
Old 08-04-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sleepyhead55
Pretty good episode. The lie detector stuff and the Gallagher/Matchett stuff dragged the episode down a little. I wonder about the budget of the show though if they're going to continue shooting scenes in international destinations.
The entire show is shot in Toronto. The Swiss locations were faked with sets.
Old 08-04-10, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Some great ratings news:

5.3M viewers watched (series high) and 2.3 in the 18-49 demos

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/04...on-highs/59116
Old 08-04-10, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

at airport shot at the end with the Monument/Lincoln Memorial in the background.

This was the best episode of the bunch so far. Funny seeing that dude play a Mossad agent when I'm used to seeing play a terrorist in Sleeper Cell. I'd like to see him come back in a guest spot again.
Old 08-04-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good stuff. Show is getting better and I bet it will hit it's stride soon.
Old 08-04-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with those that thought this was the best of the bunch. I've liked every episode so far, though.

Oded Fehr would definitely be a welcome guest star again. Particularly once Annie is more seasoned and they could really get into some serious shenanigans in the future.
Old 08-04-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm... I did not like this episode that much..could not get invested in the proceeding much, except at the beginning.
Old 08-04-10, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could have been just me, but did anyone else notice that whenever one of the "rogue" Mosad agents was shot during the final shoot-out with the flipped car, red smoke came out of the bullet wound? Maybe it was supposed to be blood, but if that was the case, it looked pretty bad.
Old 08-04-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God this episode was a waste of time. Whoever played the "contact" bugged the shit out of me, every scene he was in felt like it dragged on for eternity. The only part I did like was the Auggie lie detector test, it was fun but the rest of the episode was plain out boring. On top of that, what was with the constant unneeded shaky cam? When Annie was eating the steak the camera was moving around all over the place like it was an action scene, it's plain out bad shot composition. "SiberianLlama", it's not just you. Apparently Mosad agents bleed red smoke.

I liked this shows pilot and it's subsequent episode, but these last two have missed the mark with me. I'll give the show a few more chances, simply because I love watching Auggie, but Covert Affairs is proving to be a second tier show.
Old 08-04-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
It could have been just me, but did anyone else notice that whenever one of the "rogue" Mosad agents was shot during the final shoot-out with the flipped car, red smoke came out of the bullet wound? Maybe it was supposed to be blood, but if that was the case, it looked pretty bad.
I did notice that. That was one of the things that bugged me. Not sure if that was some smoke or flair gun that he fired, but doubt it. If that was supposed to be blood, it was a poor job by the special effects people.
Old 08-04-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Blu Man
God this episode was a waste of time. Whoever played the "contact" bugged the shit out of me, every scene he was in felt like it dragged on for eternity. The only part I did like was the Auggie lie detector test, it was fun but the rest of the episode was plain out boring. On top of that, what was with the constant unneeded shaky cam? When Annie was eating the steak the camera was moving around all over the place like it was an action scene, it's plain out bad shot composition. "SiberianLlama", it's not just you. Apparently Mosad agents bleed red smoke.

I liked this shows pilot and it's subsequent episode, but these last two have missed the mark with me. I'll give the show a few more chances, simply because I love watching Auggie, but Covert Affairs is proving to be a second tier show.
I didn't think the episode was boring as you indicated. It had a good tempo and some decent action sequences. One of the main issues I had with that episode was lacking a sense of "danger" with Fehr's character and Annie being on the run. The fact that they had time to shower, eat and flirt with each other made the tone a little too cutesy for me.

Doug Liman, who directed the 1st Bourne movie, is actually one of the producers of this show. I bet the shaky cam style was suggested by him.
Old 08-04-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by SiberianLlama
My first reaction was that he shot a flare gun that oddly looked like a normal gun. I normally don't put too much care into special effects, but that was ridiculous.

I do look forward to the next contrived story of how they get a rookie who should be getting tedious, mundane assignments into a twisted dangerous mission with all sorts of action. I'd rather they just started the show with a semi-experienced agent and not one who hasn't even finished training if they are going to have her doing superspy stuff or at least build up her spy skills.
Old 08-05-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog
at airport shot at the end with the Monument/Lincoln Memorial in the background.
I did too. It DID make me take pause though because it did look sort of like the departures entrance to Reagan National except that road faces west. It would need to head on a NW angle to have that view.

Originally Posted by TheKing
I have a feeling that most of the blind tech stuff is to be taken with a grain of salt, kinda like Marshall's gadgets on Alias and the gadgets on Chuck.
I agree. Even more far fetched than the braille keyboard which has been used throughout the show so far, I thought the "laser cane" was sillier. However, it appears to be a real thing they're trying to perfect.

Originally Posted by wirefan
My first reaction was that he shot a flare gun that oddly looked like a normal gun. I normally don't put too much care into special effects, but that was ridiculous.
It was a flare gun. Annie did say something like "why didn't you use that earlier?"

I understand the gripes some people have posted, but I, frankly, have no problem overlooking all that with a summer fluff show like this. Plainly stated, I have fun watching this show.
Old 08-05-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I did too. It DID make me take pause though because it did look sort of like the departures entrance to Reagan National except that road faces west. It would need to head on a NW angle to have that view.

Not only that, but given the airlines, it would be Dulles.
Old 08-06-10, 04:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Best episode so far, a good mix of action and humor plus good chemistry between Piper and Oded. The international locale adds a nice flavor even though it's still Toronto. Looking forward to more episodes, the ratings are really a nice surprise too.