Haven -- "Consumed" -- 07/30/10

Old 07-30-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Haven -- "Consumed" -- 07/30/10

Haven

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Audrey probes her roots after she sees an old photo in the local newspaper of a woman who could be her mother; Nathan and Audrey investigate an epidemic that threatens the town's livestock and fields.

Episode 4 of 13

Promo:

<object width="400" height="400" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1239671"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1239671" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

So I've been pleasantly surprised with this show. I pretty much hated the Pilot, but stuck with it and actually really enjoyed episode 2 and 3 alot, especially last week's episode. This and Eureka are nice escapism shows on Friday nights. Eric Balfour's character has been pointless so far. Just keep Audrey and Nathan and the show is money.
Old 07-30-10, 02:05 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Haven -- "Consumed" -- 07/30/10

I gave up on this after last weeks retarded episode.

Sooooo... let's go sail on a tiny boat in the middle of the vast fucking ocean so I can be free to play you my song that makes you normal without harming anyone else. Yeah, let's go and do THAT, and not fucking record the song on an ipod or burn it to a CD and have us live in normal society with you having to play it thru headphones a few times a day to keep yourself sane.

Stupid.

ADIOS, Haven.
Old 07-30-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I gave up on this after last weeks retarded episode.

Sooooo... let's go sail on a tiny boat in the middle of the vast fucking ocean so I can be free to play you my song that makes you normal without harming anyone else. Yeah, let's go and do THAT, and not fucking record the song on an ipod or burn it to a CD and have us live in normal society with you having to play it thru headphones a few times a day to keep yourself sane.

Stupid.

ADIOS, Haven.

Okay, while I did like last week's episode, you do make a valid point there.
Old 07-30-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It wasn't the music itself that changed people, it was him playing it. Otherwise, anyone could have done it. Hence, the only way to help these people without harming others was to get to a place where he could play the music without anyone else accidentally hearing it. Seems very reasonable to me.

The show is starting to grow on me a bit, but they still need to soften Audrey's character some more. She still comes off as very uncaring about anyone except herself. It's kind of hard to root for someone who is like that.
Old 07-30-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It wasn't the music itself that changed people, it was him playing it. Otherwise, anyone could have done it. Hence, the only way to help these people without harming others was to get to a place where he could play the music without anyone else accidentally hearing it. Seems very reasonable to me.
Exactly. This is a fantasy show. You have to suspend some amount of disbelief.

As for Eric Balfour's character, last week Nathan said he used everybody and was going to end up using Audrey. I think that will become a story arc at some point.
Old 07-30-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am slightly distracted by Balfour's presence and his uncanny resemblance to Mephistopheles.

I am usually expecting him to step out of the TV and make me an offer on my immortal soul, so i sometimes find it hard to follow scenes that feature him.
Old 07-30-10, 07:51 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
I am slightly distracted by Balfour's presence and his uncanny resemblance to Mephistopheles.

I am usually expecting him to step out of the TV and make me an offer on my immortal soul, so i sometimes find it hard to follow scenes that feature him.
I'll admit that his look definitely is distracting. For added entertainment, I follow him on Twitter.
Old 07-30-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this the one where
Spoiler:
something strange happens, and it turns out to be someone with supernatural powers who doesn't know how to control them?
Old 07-31-10, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Because the guy quit his job to do woodworking, are we just supposed to assume he'll never get upset again?

Or will people around town constantly open their refrigerators to find their eggs suddenly rotted and say to themselves "Time to go to the store. That woodworker guy must have got in an argument with his wife over breakfast again."?
Old 07-31-10, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
Because the guy quit his job to do woodworking, are we just supposed to assume he'll never get upset again?

Or will people around town constantly open their refrigerators to find their eggs suddenly rotted and say to themselves "Time to go to the store. That woodworker guy must have got in an argument with his wife over breakfast again."?
I thought the rotting food thing only happened when he got upset about his brother, due to some sort of psychic connection. And now that his brother is dead, it's broken. Maybe I'm just retconning, though.

Guess I'm in the minority in really liking this show. It has a nice laid-back, quirky vibe, the cast works well together and Emily Rose is hot. The stories have all been interesting to me so far. The best thing, though, is the locale. I love it, and it gives the show a distinct feel. My only gripe would be that, after 4 shows, we've gotten very little on the larger story arcs. I hope they pick up the pace on that soon.
Old 07-31-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott

It was explained that by removing the restaurant, it would keep his emotions in check. The restaurant would be a constant reminder of his brother and it would effect him. True, he may not be upset during woodworking but it is a lot less stressful than running an eatery.

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I thought the rotting food thing only happened when he got upset about his brother, due to some sort of psychic connection. And now that his brother is dead, it's broken. Maybe I'm just retconning, though.
The rotting food was a result of his emotions. Whenever he felt upset or sad, then the food supply connected to the ones he eats would rot.
Old 07-31-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am finding myself increasingly bored with the story of the week. This one was especially snooze-worthy.

I do really like the lead female. She has a very quirky delivery that is appealing to me. Right now I am only watching this show for her and her mystery, but it is getting borderline for me. I hope the next episode has a better story.
Old 07-31-10, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by KaBluie
Is this the one where
Spoiler:
something strange happens, and it turns out to be someone with supernatural powers who doesn't know how to control them?
Yes, it is! The first four episodes have been basically the same. It's also the episode where
Spoiler:
no criminal prosecution consequences for the person with the supernatural powers.