TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TNT renews Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
TNT renews Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles

http://turner.tekgroup.com/article_d...rticle_id=5275

TNT Orders New Seasons of Three Hit Series: The Closer, Rizzoli & Isles and Leverage

TNT has ordered new seasons of three of the network’s hit series. The Closer, which continues to rank as ad-supported cable’s #1 series of all time, will return for its seventh season. Rizzoli & Isles, which currently ranks as cable’s #1 new series for the year-to-date, will return for a second season. Leverage, which is performing exceptionally well in its new Sunday timeslot, will be back for a fourth season. TNT has ordered 15 episodes each of The Closer and Leverage, along with 13 episodes of Rizzoli & Isles, with all three slated to start their new seasons in 2011.

“TNT has enjoyed tremendous success on Sunday and Monday nights with Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles,” said Michael Wright, executive vice president and head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “All three shows feature terrific casts, sharp writing and top-notch production teams. We look forward to continued success with new seasons in 2011.”

The Closer
The Closer, which is enjoying growth this year as it continues to rank as ad-supported cable’s #1 series of all time, stars Golden Globe® winner and current Emmy® nominee Kyra Sedgwick as Deputy Police Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson, head of the LAPD’s Major Crimes unit. Through the show’s first five seasons, Sedgwick has garnered five Emmy nominations and five SAG Award® nominations for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. The show has also earned three SAG Award nominations for Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series for Sedgwick, Corey Reynolds, G.W. Bailey, Tony Denison, Raymond Cruz, Michael Paul Chan and Phillip P. Keene, as well as Jon Tenney, J.K. Simmons and Robert Gossett.

The Closer is averaging 7.1 million viewers in its sixth season, up 7% compared to last season. The July 12 season premiere was watched by 7.7 million viewers and ranks as ad-supported cable’s top scripted series telecast for the year-to-date.

The Closer is produced for TNT by The Shephard/Robin Company, in association with Warner Bros. Television. The series was created by James Duff, who serves as executive producer with Greer Shephard, Michael M. Robin, Rick Wallace and Kyra Sedgwick.

Rizzoli & Isles
Rizzoli & Isles, which is based on the crime novels by best-selling author Tess Gerritsen, stars Angie Harmon (Law & Order) as Boston detective Jane Rizzoli and Sasha Alexander (NCIS) as medical examiner Maura Isles. These two close friends – and complete opposites – work together to solve crimes and bust some of Boston’s most notorious criminals. Lorraine Bracco co-stars as Jane’s demanding and intrusive mother. Rizzoli & Isles also stars Lee Thompson Young, Bruce McGill and Jordan Bridges.

With 7.1 million viewers, Rizzoli & Isles currently ranks as cable’s #1 new series for the year-to-date. The July 12 premiere of Rizzoli & Isles was watched by 7.6 million viewers and holds the record as cable’s #1 commercial-supported series launch of all time.

Rizzoli & Isles is produced for TNT by Warner Horizon Television, Janet Tamaro’s Hurdler Productions and Bill Haber’s Ostar Productions. Tamaro (Bones, Lost) and Haber (TNT’s Nightmares & Dreamscapes: From the Stories of Stephen King, TCM’s upcoming Moguls and Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood) serve as executive producers, along with Joel Fields (Ugly Betty). Michael M. Robin (TNT’s The Closer) is a consulting producer.

Leverage
Leverage stars Academy Award® winner Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People), Gina Bellman (Coupling), Christian Kane (TNT’s Into the West), Beth Riesgraf (Alvin and the Chipmunks) and Aldis Hodge (Friday Night Lights). The fast-paced series follows the adventures of a highly skilled team out to settle scores against those who use power and wealth to victimize others.

Leverage is currently averaging 4.1 million viewers in its third season, showing growth among young adult demos when compared to the second season. The series boasts a loyal following, as indicated by its strong performance in time-shifted viewing. For the first five episodes this summer, Leverage has grown its total audience by 60% when compared to live viewing (33% compared to Live + Same Day). The growth is particularly strong among key demos, with adults 18-34 rising 101% vs. Live (45% vs. Live + Same Day); adults 18-49 up 77% vs. Live (41% vs. Live + Same Day); and adults 25-54 rising 72% vs. Live (39% vs. Live + Same Day).

Leverage is executive-produced by Dean Devlin (Independence Day, TNT’s The Librarian trilogy) and creators John Rogers (Transformers) and Chris Downey (The King of Queens). The series is produced for TNT by Devlin’s Electric Entertainment.

Artwork for each series is available for download from the Image page on TNT’s online pressroom:
http://news.turner.com/section_displ...?section_id=61

About TNT
TNT, one of cable’s top-rated networks, is television’s destination for drama. Seen in 99.6 million households, the network is home to such original series as The Closer, starring Kyra Sedgwick; Rizzoli & Isles, starring Angie Harmon and Sasha Alexander; Leverage, starring Timothy Hutton; HawthoRNe, with Jada Pinkett Smith; Memphis Beat, with Jason Lee; Dark Blue, starring Dylan McDermott; Men of a Certain Age, with Ray Romano, Andre Braugher and Scott Bakula; and Southland, from Emmy®-winning producer John Wells (ER). TNT also presents such powerful dramas as Bones, Supernatural, Las Vegas, Law & Order, CSI: NY, Cold Case and Numb3rs; broadcast premiere movies; compelling primetime specials, such as the Screen Actors Guild Awards®; and championship sports coverage, including NASCAR and the NBA. The NCAA men’s basketball tournament will appear on TNT beginning in 2011. TNT is available in high-definition.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world

Leverage and The Closer will get the usual 15 episodes, Rizzoli & Isles gets bumped up to 13 episodes from 10.

Great news. Rizzoli and Isles has been a pleasant surprise and works really well with The Closer on Monday's. Leverage has been really fun this season and I think they have overcome their sophomore slump.

TNT and USA have schooled the networks this summer.
Old 07-30-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: TNT renews Leverage, The Closer and Rizzoli & Isles

I don't watch R&I but I'm happy about The Closer and Leverage.
Old 07-30-10, 01:42 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

happy about Leverage!
Old 07-30-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever happened to Raising the Bar? I loved that show but don't follow the goings on over at TNT. Is there a reason that didn't come back this summer?
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Whatever happened to Raising the Bar? I loved that show but don't follow the goings on over at TNT. Is there a reason that didn't come back this summer?
That show got cancelled last season even before all the episodes aired. They aired the final 3 on Christmas eve in a burn-off.
Old 07-30-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Kal-El
It was canceled. 12 episodes aired last summer and then TNT burned off the last 3 Christmas eve. The main reason for it's cancellation was it shedding over 50% of The Closer's audience. The Closer gets anywhere from 6-7M viewers a week and RTB barely got 3M, hence it got the axe.

Rizzoli and Isles, which replaced Raising the Bar, gets close to 7M viewers after The Closer and that's why it got renewed.
Old 07-30-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Yay for Leverage!
Old 07-30-10, 05:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Yay for Leverage!
I agree. And they've been filming here in Portland, so there's always a chance to watch a scene filmed or get an opportunity to be an extra. I was at the ballpark when they did some of the baseball scenes last season.
Old 07-30-10, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody know how Memphis Beat is doing? Is it headed for the scrap heap with Raising the Bar? I suspect so based on its absence from this press release.
Old 07-30-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
Anybody know how Memphis Beat is doing? Is it headed for the scrap heap with Raising the Bar? I suspect so based on its absence from this press release.
It hasn't been decided yet. I replied to your comment in the Memphis Beat thread.

Tuesday's episode got 3.2M viewers and 0.8 in the demos. It's averaging around 3-3.5M viewers a week, which is similar to Leverage's numbers and that got renewed.
Old 07-30-10, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheKing
That show got cancelled last season even before all the episodes aired. They aired the final 3 on Christmas eve in a burn-off.
No more Natalia makes me a sad panda.
Old 09-03-10, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

TNT renewing 'Memphis Beat'
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...d452502b846cf0

I like this show. I'm glad TNT is renewing it.