DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

GALLANTS DVD Mini Review

Old 07-29-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GALLANTS DVD Mini Review

Crouching Tiger, Shaolin Soccer, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, Kung Fu Hustle, Ip Man, and now...Gallants. That's how it's gonna be - the best Chinese martial arts films of this decade.

This review is going to be short and sweet. It's probably best not to read any reviews of this film (as many people did with avoiding reading reviews of Inception) since Gallants is the most creatively-made, contemporary martial arts movie that has a great story from beginning to end, has awesome music and soundtrack, has amazing acting, is funny and touching, and has some of the best well-filmed old school Shaw Bros fight choreography with no CGI or wirework.

There's good news and bad news concerning this movie for home theater viewing. The bad news is that there is no Hong Kong Blu-ray release of this
film. The good news is that it doesn't matter because the KAM & RONSON DVD is of excellent quality. And even if this company did release a blu-ray, it probably wouldn't be such a huge upgrade since they are a company that is known to release their blu-rays with video quality that has been referred to as upscaled dvd quality (the HK blu-rays of Once Upon A Time In China trilogy, Police Story trilogy, and Bruce Lee movies).

The KAM & RONSON Hong Kong NTSC All-region DVD is excellent. The anamorphic video is great and not problematic at all. And the Cantonese DTS-ES 6.1 just rocks and is mixed perfectly. The English subtitles are pretty good with some mistakes here and there. The extras are very nice too - an anamorphic, DD 5.1 trailer, a very good letterboxed DD 2.0 music video, and a really good letterboxed 50-minute in-depth making of the film subtitled in English.

I'm sure this will get an eventual Blu-ray release (probably in the UK or Australia in 2011 and then in the USA by 2012), but this DVD will be good enough until it's time to upgrade.

Movie: 10
DVD Video: 9
DVD Audio: 10
English Subtitles: 8
Extras: 7
(it's a good making of the film doc)

If you are a true martial arts movie fan, I challenge you to not like this film. If you buy this dvd of GALLANTS and not like the film, I will send you a free dvd of my choice (only if you live in the USA).

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3ui_8p7uxs&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-3ui_8p7uxs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by toddly6666; 07-30-10 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great to hear that this turned out well! I'm really looking forward to it...however my copy is going to be a while as I tied it into my pre-order for BLADES OF BLOOD.

I maintain that co-director Derek Kwok's two earlier efforts THE PYE-DOG and THE MOSS were very much underappreciated.
Old 08-02-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: GALLANTS DVD Mini Review

Originally Posted by flixtime
Great to hear that this turned out well! I'm really looking forward to it...however my copy is going to be a while as I tied it into my pre-order for BLADES OF BLOOD.

I maintain that co-director Derek Kwok's two earlier efforts THE PYE-DOG and THE MOSS were very much underappreciated.
I never saw them, but now I might...and let me know if you hear about any blu-ray release for Gallants!
Old 08-02-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looks awesome!
Old 08-23-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just watched GALLANTS...it didn't really register with me at all...a flatline from the get-go. Even at 96-minutes it was a chore to sit through as I was continually checking the counter to see how much time was left. I never became interested in the characters. I didn't vibe with the storyline either. I found it too talky, and more annoying than amusing. The action scenes too failed to leave any impression. It got a little better a bit past the half-hour mark primarily because of the old sifu character, but that isn't really saying much as I thought it was rather poor until that point. I'd rate it as below-average...a huge letdown for me as I really was quite eager to watch this.

To play it safe I should simply avoid watching anything else until I wrap up my viewing of both THE SHIELD and THE WIRE.
Old 08-24-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched GALLANTS...it didn't really register with me at all...
wow, im in shock. I can't believe that you wouldn't like this film!
Old 08-25-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

toddly, just curious so I might as well ask here, did you ever get around to watching either BLACK BELT aka KURO-OBI (2007, Japan) or GACHI BOY (2008, Japan)?
Old 08-25-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

toddly, just curious so I might as well ask here, did you ever get around to watching either BLACK BELT aka KURO-OBI (2007, Japan) or GACHI BOY (2008, Japan)?
nope, should I? Are they awesome or just okay?
Old 08-25-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I enjoyed them both very much...mentioned it in the International forum at various times in the past.

I picked up the R2 Japan release of GACHI BOY quite a while back...problem on recommending it is that I don't think there has been a more affordable release anywhere else as of yet...so a cheap pick-up it is not. GACHI BOY, though I couldn't label it as "original", is a terrific underdog sports film...I thought the wrestling scenes were tremendous and the film had a lot of heart and emotion. But then I seem to recall you not liking LAGAAN (which I quite liked) so again I'm a bit hesitant. I really loved GACHI BOY though and found the climax absolutely riveting...it really moved me...even got a bit misty-eyed. It made my top-tier of favorites during that particular release year. Actually, I'm rather stunned that GACHI BOY has remained so very much off the radar (except for DVDTalker logboy, I don't recall anyone else even mentioning the film on this site).

I liked BLACK BELT a lot too (I think I had a thread in International about it)...lower budget...but a solid display of martial arts. If I remember right I think it has now been released on R1 U.S. DVD. But then I liked ONG BAK 2 a fair bit too and I seem to recall you not liking that.

So, if you're asking, then I'd say both movies are both well north of "just okay". I'm actually very curious to learn what you'd think of them.
Old 08-26-10, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched GALLANTS...it didn't really register with me at all...a flatline from the get-go.
okay flixtime, send me a PM with your address to get your free DVD!
Old 08-26-10, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Though I wouldn't know you if I were sitting next to you, and not to get sentimental, but you're like my...e-brother...in other words...no way in heck am I including myself under the umbrella of that offer you put out there. So if indeed a DVD is going to be rescued out of your closet of unloved DVDs, then it'll have to be by someone else. And, come to think of it, I actually had GALLANTS on order before reading this thread, so you really can't be held culpable...on the other hand if you had caused me to drop say $30 on something such as THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD...then we would have an issue...most definitely a big issue.

Just let me know though if someone who speaks Japanese ever joins your family...I'd have an English subtitles request for you two...RETREAT THROUGH THE WET WASTELAND (1973, Japan). Speaking of that film, another one you might find of interest is from the same writer, THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN (1979, Japan). Again, it's one I've mentioned previously in the International forum, but again the issue is that the only English-friendly DVD is out of Japan...around $30 from YesAsia. There's a Hong Kong release too but I believe that the English subs might be of poor quality...maybe one of those Japanese to Chinese to English translations or maybe substituting Chinese names in place of the Japanese names...so the Japanese DVD is the safe play.
Old 08-26-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Though I wouldn't know you if I were sitting next to you, and not to get sentimental, but you're like my...e-brother...in other words...no way in heck am I including myself under the umbrella of that offer you put out there. So if indeed a DVD is going to be rescued out of your closet of unloved DVDs, then it'll have to be by someone else. And, come to think of it, I actually had GALLANTS on order before reading this thread, so you really can't be held culpable...on the other hand if you had caused me to drop say $30 on something such as THE GOOD THE BAD THE WEIRD...then we would have an issue...most definitely a big issue.

Just let me know though if someone who speaks Japanese ever joins your family...I'd have an English subtitles request for you two...RETREAT THROUGH THE WET WASTELAND (1973, Japan). Speaking of that film, another one you might find of interest is from the same writer, THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN (1979, Japan). Again, it's one I've mentioned previously in the International forum, but again the issue is that the only English-friendly DVD is out of Japan...around $30 from YesAsia. There's a Hong Kong release too but I believe that the English subs might be of poor quality...maybe one of those Japanese to Chinese to English translations or maybe substituting Chinese names in place of the Japanese names...so the Japanese DVD is the safe play.
You are definitely my e-brother. And i'm glad our relationship hasn't gotten dangerous since I've joined the blu-ray triad!

I'm gonna go to my Japanese dvd store in NYC and see if they have a copy of THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN. If they have it, I'll send it to you. If not, then there's always Yesasia for ya!
Old 08-26-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm gonna go to my Japanese dvd store in NYC and see if they have a copy of THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN. If they have it, I'll send it to you. If not, then there's always Yesasia for ya!
Hey toddly hold on a sec, just to clarify, I already own the Japanese DVD for THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN...hope you read this in time before wasting the cash...sincerely appreciate the kind offer though.
Old 08-26-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey toddly hold on a sec, just to clarify, I already own the Japanese DVD for THE MAN WHO STOLE THE SUN...hope you read this in time before wasting the cash...sincerely appreciate the kind offer though.
too late, I bought it for 80 bucks...where's my money you owe me!!!!!!!!

Oh, I didn't read it right - I'm curious to see if they have it - it looked like an interesting flick for me as well!
Old 08-26-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whew...that's a relief...I would've felt real guilty if you had already gone out shopping before getting the chance to read my "already have it" post.
Old 12-10-10, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I picked this up last weekend and watched it last night. I enjoyed it. It's a fun film.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 12-10-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I picked this up last weekend and watched it last night. I enjoyed it. It's a fun film.

Thanks for the recommendation.
I'm glad you liked it! I hope I didn't raise too much of your expectations!
Old 12-13-10, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Not at all. Got me in the right mood for it.