Ellen DeGeneres out as 'American Idol' judge

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-29-10, 08:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100730/..._american_idol

seems like this would be big news for idol fans. i like her a lot, but didn't think she fit from what little i saw of her. and now they have 2 vacancies. should be interesting and a whole other beast when it returns.

LOS ANGELES – Ellen DeGeneres is dancing off "American Idol" after one season, leaving Fox's hit show with two vacancies on its judging panel.

If the singing contest intends to revamp itself to stem a ratings slide, it has the opportunity to bring in two new faces for season 10 in January.

Fox has yet to announce a replacement for Simon Cowell, who left after the season finale in May to start a new talent show for the network.

"A couple months ago, I let Fox and the `American Idol' producers know that this didn't feel like the right fit for me," DeGeneres said in a statement. The comedian-talk show host said she realized that while she "loved discovering, supporting and nurturing young talent, it was hard for me to judge people and sometimes hurt their feelings."

DeGeneres said she told the network she would delay any action until it had time to "figure out where they wanted to take the panel next."

A Fox statement contained no announcement of a replacement for DeGeneres. The network could make an announcement Monday, when it presents its 2010-11 programming schedule to members of the Television Critics Association meeting in Beverly Hills.

Judge Kara DioGuardi, who was brought in two years ago to replace Paula Abdul, is not under contract for next year and Fox has not announced whether she'll return.

"It was a joy to work with Ellen," said Mike Darnell, president of alternative entertainment for Fox. "She brought an incredible spirit to Idol."

When DeGeneres joined the show, proclaiming herself a fan of "American Idol" and a pop aficionado, observers noted she didn't bring music industry expertise to her role. Some observers complained she proved more of a cheerleader than an incisive critic in the mold of Cowell.

She had a reported two-year contract.

"American Idol" was the nation's favorite program last season, the seventh time it's held that position. But it showed rare vulnerability, beaten in the weekly ratings several times by ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."

A total of 24.2 million viewers watched the ninth season's final duel between Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox, compared to the nearly 29 million viewers who saw Kris Allen win over Adam Lambert last year.

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-29-10 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Ellen DeGeneres out as 'American Idol' judge

She was a waste. Now get rid of Randy and the super long winded one and I might watch again.
Old 07-29-10, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like her too but yeah she didn't fit at all as a judge.
Old 07-29-10, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Huge huge huge fan of her stand up, but she should have never been a judge on this show in the first place. Horrible decision on everyone's part.
Old 07-29-10, 09:09 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breathe some new life into the show by replacing all of the judges.
Old 07-29-10, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't watch American Idol, but Howard Stern would often rip into her and her judging abilities, so that's really all I have to go on. Was she really that bad?

Also, I read somewhere today that they are considering Jessica Simpson for a judge's seat. Not sure it was official, or merely speculation, but she has enough ditz to fill Paula Adbul's seat, I'm sure.
Old 07-29-10, 09:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The show is pretty much dead. These Idols never do anything besides a crappy CD.
Old 07-29-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As long as they still have Simon they should be fine...
Old 07-29-10, 09:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Tscott
As long as they still have Simon they should be fine...
They don't.

You're not serious though, right?
Old 07-29-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

She just never fit in as a judge. To me she was more of a casual music fan than offering any real and articulate music criticism. I hate Randy, but he is the only judge under contract for season 10. Kara is only signed year to year and who knows if 19 Entertainment will re-sign her. I would like them to keep Kara as I think she's the most credible of the judges being a songwriter, singer and producer.
Old 07-29-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Kara really improved as a judge last year and was actually bringing something to the show. Of course, who knows how much of that was just b/c she was sitting next to Simon all year (though to be fair she was more on point most of the year than he was).

This show is pretty well dead w/o Simon anyway. It may limp on for a few more seasons, but ANYBODY they bring in will either be a shitty judge (like Ellen) or seem like a phony Simon knockoff.
Old 07-29-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

I believe FOX renewed it for 3 more seasons. I struggled big time to stay interested in the show this past season and you totally see that Simon checked out once the live performance shows began.

I think they should go back to the 3 judge format (4 was way too many) Nigel Lythgoe, the lead judge on So You Think You Can Dance, re-joined the show as Producer recently and I read he hates having 4 judges. I think they should dump Randy as he's dead weight, keep Kara and bring in 1 recording artist and a credible music executive (David Foster maybe?) to be the judges.
Old 07-29-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They just hired Jennifer Lopez as a judge.

I don't care if they keep Randy, but please, please get rid of Kara also. Four judges are too many.

Nigel Lithgow is back as the producer and has said that he likes three judges, but then again he had a fourth judge on So You Think You Can Dance tonight. Anyway, he has also said that he was thinking of getting rid of all of the current judges and putting fresh faces up there so getting rid of Ellen was a logical first step.

As far as who the other judges will be, I have seen probably fifteen different names being tossed around. From one article:

Lythgoe [said that] his ideal judges panel would consist of Elton John, Usher and Paula Abdul, who left the show in 2009.
Jessica Simpson and Chris Isaak are also in the running, per the tabloids. Justin Timberlake and Elton John's representives have both denied having talked with American Idol.

Edited to correct the spelling of Jennifer's name.

Last edited by Heat; 07-29-10 at 11:22 PM.
Old 07-29-10, 11:13 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Heat
They just hired Jennife Lopez as a judge.
Apparently, at only 87.5% of the cost to hire Jennifer Lopez.
Old 07-29-10, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/brea...n-out-of-idol/

Yup, J-Lo is the new judge.
Old 07-29-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder which will take up more room at the judge's table, her fat ass or her giant ego?
Old 07-29-10, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ellen was a better judge than I thought she would be, but she never really fit the show at all.

There's so much speculation as to who will replace Simon, but I think they'll go with a relative unknown.

The show has one season left in it, maybe two if they want to beat a dead horse. Had a great run though.
Old 07-30-10, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Was a J-Lo ever a mentor on one of the earlier seasons?

Here's hoping for Harry Connick Jr to take over Simon's seat.
Old 07-30-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Zap2it is linking to an article from GossipCop that says that the other judge seat (Simon's) has been offered to Steven Tyler.
Old 07-30-10, 01:52 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

TMZ is reporting the same thing. Kara out. Tyler in.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/07/29/americ...n-tyler-fired/
Old 07-30-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kara out? Yay!

Tyler in?
Old 07-30-10, 02:25 AM
Banned

Steven Tyler? Areyou kidding?
Old 07-30-10, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They dump everyone and keep Randy? Who does he have nudes of at Fox?

Let's hope he goes next...

EDIT TO ADD: I really hope some of this news is some sick joke just to get people talking...

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 07-30-10 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-30-10, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk God

I was 50/50 on coming back to Idol for season 10 (I watched 8 of it's 9 seasons). If Steven Tyler ends up being the new 3rd judge, I'm afraid I'm breaking up with Idol for good. That's awful.
Old 07-30-10, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DJariya
Kara is only signed year to year and who knows if 19 Entertainment will re-sign her. I would like them to keep Kara as I think she's the most credible of the judges being a songwriter, singer and producer.
I hear that. The thing is, I've looked up her credits - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kara_DioGuardi_discography

I can't find one song that I've ever heard, or even heard of. I see familiar names like Ricky Martin, Jessica Simpson, Celine Dion, Britney Spears, Pink, etc. But I don't see she has written/co-written any of their 'hits'.

Then again, I haven't found pop music to be very entertaining in the last ten years or so. It's either rap or meaningless bubblegum music that has no originality.

That's the stuff she writes/produces, and there's apparently an audience for it, but it doesn't impress me at all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.