Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Company Men (Wells, 2010) - Corporate downsizing drama w/ Affleck, Cooper, Jones

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Company Men (Wells, 2010) - Corporate downsizing drama w/ Affleck, Cooper, Jones

Old 07-21-10, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Synopsis;
The story centers on a year in the life of three men trying to survive a round of corporate downsizing at a major company - and how that affects them, their families, and their communities.
Currently, the film is set for release on October 22, 2010 in New York and LA, with nation-wide expansion to follow a few weeks after.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWat8Ms4vJA&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aWat8Ms4vJA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NI-RSPQBnwg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NI-RSPQBnwg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

IMDb page

Ben Affleck
Chris Cooper
Tommy Lee Jones
Kevin Costner
Craig T. Nelson
Awesome cast!
Old 09-29-10, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Company Men (Wells, 2010) - Corporate downsizing drama w/ Affleck, Cooper, Jo

New poster;

Old 09-29-10, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Company Men (Wells, 2010) - Corporate downsizing drama w/ Affleck, Cooper, Jo

Somehow I overlooked this thread...

looking at that teaser trailer and it's crap generic music in it...I wouldn't see it. When a better trailer comes out...I'll think about it.
Old 12-07-10, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good, reviews are coming in and appear to be decent.
Old 01-10-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This actually looks pretty good to me. Has anybody seen it yet or was it ever released in theaters?

I can't seem to find it anywhere...possibly NY and LA...
Old 01-10-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

It's set to release on the 21st per Fandango. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Old 02-06-11, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a companion piece to "Up in the Air", "The Company Men" looks at the flipside of the recently downsized corporate employees through the eyes of 3 characters, Bobby (Ben Affleck), Phil (Chris Cooper), and Gene (Tommy Lee Jones), who all worked at a shipbuilding corporation. Bobby is the up-and-coming marketing exec who finds that his idyllic life being slow stripped away from him as his severance package runs out and he has to support a wife and 2 children. Phil is a long-time employee who eventually meets the corporate grim reaper, and his own circumstances and obligations prove challenging. Gene is higher up on the executive food chain, but his own reticence in how the value of the company is being manipulated through employee downsizing, and butting heads with his long-time friend and CEO makes him another casualty.

It's not a fun topic, and might hit too close to home for some people going through some tough times. As Bobby struggles to find gainful employment at his current salary level through outbound job placement, the film probably depicts one too many unsuccessful employment opportunities, and you wonder if Bobby will ever find another similar job as his last job. The other subplots involving the older men, Phil and Gene, aren't as engaging, but still showcase the challenges that older people face when they have been let go, with fewer prospects for future employment at their previous levels of responsibilities and pay scale.

The film will make you give pause to whether you really need to spend money on trivial stuff via a lifestyle that could be totally compromised if unemployment becomes one's reality. Not to say it'll make you go into bunker mode when it comes to stockpiling money and living a lean lifestyle, but it might be good to think if you truly need something when it's only a want that's being satified by its purchase. You might also want to do brush up on personal finances, and make sure your "rainy day" fund is sufficiently stocked up when the barren days might arrive unexpectedly some day.

John Wells wrote and directed the film, and as his forte is in TV writing/directing, his cinematic filmmaking skills are yeoman and not too flashy.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 11-03-13, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought this at Target for 5 bucks. Good deal. I really liked it. I thought it was pretty honest of the ups and downs one gets in expectations for jobs. The acting was earnest and natural. I liked everyone in here but I enjoyed TLJ the most. I just love TLJ.

I don't think this film needed to be flashy. It just needed to not be heavy handed and I don't think it was. I admired how at ease it was in just telling the details of their issues but also not go to an emotional extreme.

For 5 bucks it was totally worth it.