Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cell 211(Daniel Monzón, 2009) aka 'Celda 211'

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just noticed there is no thread here about this film so I'm making one. It was at the Seattle Film Festival on June 5th of this year. Not sure if it will be getting much of a release here in the US though, maybe one of you guys know more.

It's a surprisingly good prison movie, and well worth going out of your way to see it. I saw it a couple of weeks back and really liked it.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkZSYNpad1g&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkZSYNpad1g&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

I'll let Ebert sum it up with an excerpt from his positive, 3.5 star review:

""Cell 211" is a thriller about a man’s attempt to save his life by thinking quickly. It never explains. It simply sets out the situation and shows us what he does and what the results are. You might be surprised by how much more exciting this is than conventional action.

The film won eight Goya Awards, the Spanish Oscars, this year. It deserves them. In addition to its effectiveness as a thriller, it is also a film showing a man in the agonizing process of changing his values. And it is a critique of a cruel penal system. It doesn’t preach, it doesn’t end with a message, but it makes us think."

Luis Tosar as 'Malamadre' gives a fantastic performance, I'm going to keep an eye on work he does in the future. Keep an eye out for Javier Bardem's older brother Carlos Bardem as 'Apache', he gives a good performance here too.
Old 07-11-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Cell 211(Daniel Monzón, 2009) aka 'Celda 211'

Celda?

Ebert's review caught my eye and I also want to catch this one.
Old 07-13-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:
I really thought the main character would make it through the whole ordeal. I feel it would have been a more fitting ending with him coming to his senses and still having to deal with the death of his wife and killing the guard that murdered her. Overall, I still liked it and would also recommend it to others.
Old 07-13-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I liked most about the film in a way.

No rules. Anything goes.
Old 07-13-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
That's what I liked most about the film in a way.

No rules. Anything goes.
The whole film gave you that uneasy feeling of dread that was hard to shake.