Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

Manga Entertainment, Anchor Bay's Parent Up for Sale

Community
Search
Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10, 07:38 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 533 Likes on 469 Posts

Per ANN
posted on 2010-07-08 18:18 EDT

Entertainment industry news source Variety reports that Starz LLC is preparing to sell its subsidiary Starz Media, which includes North American licensee Manga Entertainment, distributor Anchor Bay Entertainment, and Dante's Inferno producer Film Roman. According to the report, Starz will attempt to sell the companies individually if they can't be sold as a group.

Manga Entertainment is a subsidiary of Starz Media, which is in turn a subsidiary of venture capital firm Liberty Media's Starz LLC. Manga Entertainment was formerly a subsidiary of Island Records, Palm Pictures, and then IDT Entertainment. IDT Entertainment merged with Starz Entertainment Group in 2006. Manga Entertainment has divisions for anime localization based in North America, Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. Licensed titles include Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, Read or Die, and Blood: The Last Vampire.

[Via Toon Zone]
Old 07-09-10, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Manga Entertainment, Anchor Bay's Parent Up for Sale

As I read that piece, Starz Media is up for sale. Its holdings include Manga Entertainment and Anchor Bay. Anchor Bay is Manga's sibling, not parent. So ANN's headline is kind of misleading.

Has Manga released any significant new anime in the recent past?

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-09-10 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-09-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Has Manga released any significant new anime in the recent past?
Not that I know of. The last thing I can remember them releasing is Ghost in the Shell 2.0. Before that, I have no clue.

I'd check their website and let you know, but on their website under the 'Anime' section, for some reason they show a bunch of anime that are licensed to Funimation & Viz (Like Monster & One Piece).

Edit:Okay, upon more investigation, it appears that they have changed their website to be more of a 'Catch-all, one-stop anime source'. So they have a bunch of anime from many different licencees mixed together and I can't tell which titles are theirs.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 07-09-10 at 02:37 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 07-10-10, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another casualty of a sagging anime industry?
Old 07-10-10, 09:26 AM
WTK

Here are their recent anime (or close to it) releases...

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 2nd Gig: Complete Collection (Anime Legends) - 09/15/09

Blood: The Last Vampire (Blu-ray) - 11/24/09
Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Edition (Blu-ray) - 11/24/09

Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Edition (DVD) - 01/12/10
Dante's Inferno (DVD) - 02/09/10
Dante's Inferno (Blu-ray) - 02/09/10

First Squad: The Moment of Truth (Both DVD and BD) - Not released, announced 06/08/10
Old 07-10-10, 09:28 AM
WTK

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
I'd check their website and let you know, but on their website under the 'Anime' section, for some reason they show a bunch of anime that are licensed to Funimation & Viz (Like Monster & One Piece).

Edit:Okay, upon more investigation, it appears that they have changed their website to be more of a 'Catch-all, one-stop anime source'. So they have a bunch of anime from many different licencees mixed together and I can't tell which titles are theirs.
Manga Ent. / Anchor Bay focuses more on online streaming and TV airings (like Syfy's Ani-Monday). Bear in mind that DVD rights are not always included with TV and streaming ones.
Old 07-10-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
Manga Ent. / Anchor Bay focuses more on online streaming and TV airings (like Syfy's Ani-Monday). Bear in mind that DVD rights are not always included with TV and streaming ones.
I'm not a huge follower of the industry, so I never found that out until now... I remembered back when they released stuff to DVD more often, like the original GITS and Ninja Scroll DVDS. I guess I was just sort of stuck in the 90's.

What are the chances of someone else getting some of their licenses? I'd love for someone to put out a version of the two Evangelion movies they have in at least anamorphic widescreen (special editions or blu-rays would be even better).