Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

TV Edition of the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,
Hope I can find some help from the fellow Lisbeth and Mikael's fans.

As you might know, July 14th is when the 3hr long TV edition of all three movies is coming out in Sweden. Each movie in this edition is 3hr long, twice longer than the movie cinema release.

Do you know if these DVD's will contain English subtitles? Have anyone seen the English subtitles for the TV edition floating around the Internet?

Also, any experience with buying from Swedish online shops and shipping directly to US?

If there are a few of us who are interested in these DVD's (or Blu-ray) we can try to do a group purchase to save on shipping, etc..

Here are the names for your reference (can't yet post urls):

Män som hatar kvinnor: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The girl with the dragon tattoo: TV Edition (2-disc)

Flickan som lekte med elden: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The girl who played with fire: TV Edition (2-disc)

Luftslottet som sprängdes: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: TV Edition (2-disc)
Old 07-02-10, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: TV Edition of the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson

damn, extended cuts are indeed tempting. I don't know if there are subs or not. I assume these versions will contain more stuff from the books

doing a quick google search, no english subs on the dvd or blu verison of the long verison

Last edited by Rypro 525; 07-02-10 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by alexander_namal
Hey,
Hope I can find some help from the fellow Lisbeth and Mikael's fans.

As you might know, July 14th is when the 3hr long TV edition of all three movies is coming out in Sweden. Each movie in this edition is 3hr long, twice longer than the movie cinema release.

Do you know if these DVD's will contain English subtitles? Have anyone seen the English subtitles for the TV edition floating around the Internet?

Also, any experience with buying from Swedish online shops and shipping directly to US?

If there are a few of us who are interested in these DVD's (or Blu-ray) we can try to do a group purchase to save on shipping, etc..

Here are the names for your reference (can't yet post urls):

Män som hatar kvinnor: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The girl with the dragon tattoo: TV Edition (2-disc)

Flickan som lekte med elden: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The girl who played with fire: TV Edition (2-disc)

Luftslottet som sprängdes: TV-versionen (2-disc)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest: TV Edition (2-disc)
Could this be what you're talking about? This set won't be out till November of this year, see this listing from this English friendly Sweden outlet:

http://english.megastore.se/template...itemid=2218952
Old 07-04-10, 08:43 PM

I've very interested in this too, anyone with new information please share. I just watched the US blu-ray of Dragon Tattoo this weekend and really enjoyed it. I loved all three books.
Old 07-05-10, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Vendetta-AKK
I've very interested in this too, anyone with new information please share. I just watched the US blu-ray of Dragon Tattoo this weekend and really enjoyed it. I loved all three books.
I could only find the cover art which displays how much longer the cuts are:

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO - 32 Minutes Longer

THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE - 56 Minutes Longer

THE GIRL WHO KICKED THE HORNET'S NEST - 37 Minutes Longer

Old 07-05-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Yeah, 180 min. isn't twice longer than the theatrical release.

As I said in the movie forum, this was released on Swedish tv as a 6 part mini-series. Each "film" made-up of 2 parts totalling 180 min. I doubt the Swedish version will have english subs but considering the popularity of these books/films, especially in Europe, I'm pretty sure we'll see a version with french (useless to most of you I know) and/or english subs at some point.
Old 07-06-10, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i too would be interested in ordering the longer versions of the trilogy with english subs, if anyone finds them for sale online. (preferably bluray if an american ps3 can view, otherwise dvd any region). thanks
Old 07-10-10, 01:22 PM

l loved the books, would like to order this as well.
Old 08-03-10, 08:41 AM

I bougth the extended versions on friday (blu-ray). Yesterday I returned film 2 and 3 due to extremely poor quality.

Film 2 and 3 have noise in extreme amounts.

Immediately when I started watching the second movie I noticed that it was poor quality compared to the shorter blu-ray version. Especially in dark scenes. I then viewed the same scene in both versions. In the short version about 13 minutes in Lisbet Salander comes to Milton Security office. In the extended version this is about 38 minutes in. The doorframe, desk, laptop and other dark objects show extreme amounts of noise in the extended version the noise is NOT present in the short version. So someone has gone horribly wrong in making the extended versions.

Nordisk Film recieved several complaints over them and they are investigating.

Last edited by tommykjensen; 08-03-10 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-03-10, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tommykjensen
I bougth the extended versions on friday (blu-ray). Yesterday I returned film 2 and 3 due to extremely poor quality.

Immediately when I started watching the second movie I noticed that it was poor quality compared to the shorter blu-ray version. Especially in dark scenes. I then viewed the same scene in both versions. In the short version about 13 minutes in Lisbet Salander comes to Milton Security office. In the extended version this is about 38 minutes in. The doorframe, desk, laptop and other dark objects show extreme amounts of noise in the extended version the noise is NOT present in the short version. So someone has gone horribly wrong in making the extended versions.

thanks for the heads up, appreciate you using your first post to give us details!
Old 08-03-10, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

english subs?
Old 08-03-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tommykjensen

I don´t think you´re going to get very far with your complaint.

I saw all three "Extended" versions on Swedish television, and the quality was already pretty poor there. Part 2 & 3 were not ever intended to come out in the cinema as they were made as tv-movies, which ARE NOT made with the same high-quality equipment as with cinema movies.
Old 08-03-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
english subs?
Danish, Swedish, Finnish & Norwegian only.
Old 08-04-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i assume sweedish tv has much more lax censorship laws (or they were made for like an equivilent of HBO) cause "played with Fire" got an R rating here
Old 08-04-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i assume sweedish tv has much more lax censorship laws (or they were made for like an equivilent of HBO) cause "played with Fire" got an R rating here
Part 2 & 3 were made for Swedish National Television (SVT), which are not an equivilent of HBO.

But, yes, Scandinavia are much, much more relaxed and open when it comes censorship. A full naked body, foul language, and the likes is not considered as naughty or disturbing as in the US.
Old 08-04-10, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
I don´t think you´re going to get very far with your complaint.

I saw all three "Extended" versions on Swedish television, and the quality was already pretty poor there. Part 2 & 3 were not ever intended to come out in the cinema as they were made as tv-movies, which ARE NOT made with the same high-quality equipment as with cinema movies.
But I think you misunderstand my complaint.

I got (actually just sold them which I now regret) the first short versions of film 2 and 3 on blu-ray and the quality of those are MUCH better than the new extended versions of the same. That is what I would like Nordisk Film to explain. That cannot be explained by different recording equipment.
Old 08-04-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ahhh, I see now.
Old 09-14-10, 03:01 PM

did they answer you yet tommy? i am still hoping to see the long versions of the trilogy some day. thanks
Old 09-14-10, 07:58 PM

I really like the first film, but the next two films especially the third one left me somewhat cold. I can imagine their extended version would improve the films' narrative pacing but not a whole lot more. I kinda hope that I will be wrong.
Old 09-22-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane
A bit late but... As far as I know (from numerous sources), that information is incorrect. All 3 films were made with BOTH theatrical release and tv series in mind.
Old 01-27-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts

Music Box Films will be releasing a nice boxset of the miniseries in April:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pip...-trilogy-20577

And you Seattle folk will get a chance to see it on the big screen then:

http://www.siff.net/cinema/seriesDetail.aspx?FID=228
Old 01-28-11, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
Music Box Films will be releasing a nice boxset of the miniseries in April:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/pip...-trilogy-20577
finally! thanks mike.

if anyone finds a place to pre-order please share
Old 01-31-11, 08:27 AM

doh

Thanks for your interest in the extended Millennium Series. We were initially planning to release this 9 hour miniseries version – six 90 min episodes – in April, but have decided it is in our best interest to push the date back to late fall 2011 to coincide with the release of David Fincher’s US version and hopefully use some of the awareness their marketing campaign will create.

Our plans will be to release this series on DVD, Blu-ray, VOD and Cable in the US at the same time late in 2011, likely with both subtitle and English dub options (and extras).

Unfortunately, that means that you’ll have a while longer to wait on on purchasing this set, but I think your wait will be well rewarded as our box set will feature the series in it’s best form.
Old 01-31-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dishpan
doh

Thanks for your interest in the extended Millennium Series. We were initially planning to release this 9 hour miniseries version – six 90 min episodes – in April, but have decided it is in our best interest to push the date back to late fall 2011 to coincide with the release of David Fincher’s US version and hopefully use some of the awareness their marketing campaign will create.

Our plans will be to release this series on DVD, Blu-ray, VOD and Cable in the US at the same time late in 2011, likely with both subtitle and English dub options (and extras).

Unfortunately, that means that you’ll have a while longer to wait on on purchasing this set, but I think your wait will be well rewarded as our box set will feature the series in it’s best form.
thanks so much for the update. I'm always willing to wait if when I know the extra time is needed to put forth the best presentation possible for this terrific trilogy. BTW: I watched Hornets Nest again yesterday and loved the film.
Old 01-31-11, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by RonBoster
thanks so much for the update. I'm always willing to wait if when I know the extra time is needed to put forth the best presentation possible for this terrific trilogy. BTW: I watched Hornets Nest again yesterday and loved the film.
no problem. i sent them (music box films) the link from earlier in the thread as well, so hopefully they will watch out for the a\v issues on the previous versions of the miniseries editions and correct that for the US blurays!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.