Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Say goodbye to the bustier and hotpants: Wonder Woman is getting a makeover at the age of 69, and the heroine is now keeping herself covered while fighting crime.

The new costume, created by celebrated artist and DC Comics co-publisher Jim Lee, is made up of a red top with the signature "WW" logo; a cropped blue biker jacket with white stars; and skin-tight navy blue pants and matching boots.

"The bracelets are still there, but made more colorful, tied on the inside and over the hand, with a script W on each of them that form WW when she holds them side by side…and if you get hit by one of them, it leaves a W mark," said writer J. Michael Straczynski, in a post on DC Comics's "The Source." "This is a Wonder Woman who signs her work."

The edgier outfit will be unveiled in issue No. 600 of "Wonder Woman," which hits stands today. The origins of the Amazon princess are also reinvented: Instead of being raised on Paradise Island, the young Diana is smuggled out as a child while her Amazon sisters remain behind and are murdered.

J. Michael Straczynski - who penned the screenplay for Angelina Jolie's 2008 drama "Changeling" - is taking over the comic book series, and he told the New York Times that he's excited about Wonder Woman's new wardrobe.

"She's been locked into pretty much the exact same outfit since her debut in 1941," Straczynski said. "If you're going to make a statement about bringing Wonder Woman into the 21st century, you need to be bold and you need to make it visual. I wanted to toughen her up, and give her a modern sensibility."

And besides, he added, "What woman only wears only one outfit for 60-plus years?"

Lame!
Old 07-01-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: DC Comics give Wonder Woman a makeover.

Done and replaced in a year. This is the 3rd time its been done for her, and its just a way to get people talking and reading again.

A large majority of comic boards are saying they hate the change.
Old 07-01-10, 12:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This change causes the flaccid.
Old 07-01-10, 12:39 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Has JMS ever written a pre-existing comic where he doesn't come on board and immediately shit all over the book's history so he can do his own thing? He did it with Spider-Man, he did it with Fantastic Four, and now he's doing it with Wonder Woman. Why does this guy keep taking jobs to write characters he obviously doesn't like?
Old 07-01-10, 12:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mentioned this in the monthly thread and I they just crapped on fans again. New (lame) outfit and revamped origin, the same crap that is driving away loyal fans for years.
Old 07-01-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Actually, no. But it's the 3rd time that said change has sucked due to it's drastic changes to her classic look. See if you can tell which of these costume alterations are the ones that sucked rocks:
Yeah I was going with the drastic looks. Kung Fu Diana, and Biker Diana

I am trying to accept it as just a year long (or so) story, similar to New Krypton.
Old 07-01-10, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
I mentioned this in the monthly thread and I they just crapped on fans again. New (lame) outfit and revamped origin, the same crap that is driving away loyal fans for years.
I thought puberty was what drove fans away...
Old 07-01-10, 04:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

WW was a good book for a while in the '90s. It was one of the last books I picked up regularly. That hasn't been the case for a long while.
Old 07-01-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Done and replaced in a year. This is the 3rd time its been done for her, and its just a way to get people talking and reading again.

A large majority of comic boards are saying they hate the change.
Agree 100%

It's a publicity grab.

That said, I do like some of the Multiverse Versions of her costume.
Old 07-02-10, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The new look would work if WW was just going out for a night on the town.
Old 07-02-10, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The origins of the Amazon princess are also reinvented: Instead of being raised on Paradise Island, the young Diana is smuggled out as a child while her Amazon sisters remain behind and are murdered.
Wait, what?

What about the "other amazons"? The non-mortal ones who got split off? That one big chick on The Outsiders was revealed to be one.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-02-10 at 03:15 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Actually, no. But it's the 3rd time that said change has sucked due to it's drastic changes to her classic look. See if you can tell which of these costume alterations are the ones that sucked rocks:

The WW in the middle is my favorite.
Old 07-02-10, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No more mid-crime fighting wedgies at least.

I'm kind of indifferent to the outfit change. I'm not a fan of it, but I don't see it being a permanent staple. Every super hero goes through an ill fated costume change.

Last edited by Pixie Song; 07-02-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 08:41 AM
Banned

This is funny and sad at the same time: Fox News is criticizing the new duds because they don't have the American colors anymore. What it's sadder is the comments section riddle with ignorant imbeciles that think all the superheroes have to be American.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...stume/#content
Old 07-02-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

What's funny is that her outfit is ridiculous (as is Superman's), but it's so iconic that you can't do this kind of drastic change, if only because of all the licensing.

I read the preview on that ipad/iphone app, and it made no sense, it's like a massive retcon or elseworlds story. Did anyone actually buy the issue and read through it?
Old 07-02-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Supposively the big rumor is this new re-design as well as the new direction of the comic is all a push to get the movie really rolling with Gina Curino (sp?) to star in it. I never heard of her, but supposively she is some up & coming star.
Old 07-02-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
This is funny and sad at the same time: Fox News is criticizing the new duds because they don't have the American colors anymore. What it's sadder is the comments section riddle with ignorant imbeciles that think all the superheroes have to be American.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...stume/#content
Actually, I noticed that when I saw the re-design. I think there used to be more of a significance on that in her costume, as wearing the colors of the country an ambassador was staying in was a Amazonian tradition of some kind.

I'm not a big fan of the redesign. They've done it with Superman and Batman in the last 20 years, and each time DC went back to the iconic outfits. In Batman's case, DC went from the 1960-early 1990's Blueish with a Yellow Bat Symbol back to the 1940's Greyish with a Black Symbol look.
Old 07-02-10, 05:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Supposively the big rumor is this new re-design as well as the new direction of the comic is all a push to get the movie really rolling with Gina Curino (sp?) to star in it. I never heard of her, but supposively she is some up & coming star.
I imagine is Gina Carano, the fighter

She is hot, but doesn't have the Wonder Woman body (who does really?). I doubt she can act and if they are going to selecting someone like her, they could do better with Olivia Munn. What I would love is seeing Monica Belucci playing Wonder Woman's mom. Belucci could still be Wonder Woman, but I'm sure some executive would say she is too old for the part.
Old 07-02-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gina Carano is an female MMA fighter, and she does look a bit like WW, though she's about 5'8", 140 pounds (very toned).
Old 07-02-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I'll pass on Munn. Isn't Gina the one who was an American Gladiator (Hulk Hogan edition)?

I actually don't see how a Wonder Woman movie is going to do any good anyway... they can't even do a decent Superman movie.
Old 07-02-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gina has a good look, and can break some skulls, but can she act?
Old 07-02-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt Carano is a credible actress, but the role is so very hard to cast due to the physical requirements of the role.
Old 07-02-10, 08:24 PM

What about Megan Gale, the Aussie actress, 5'11 who was supposed to be in the George Miller JLA movie?

Old 07-02-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah that chick was cast before the JLA movie got scrapped right? I've never liked her and that's a creepy pic. In that pic she looks like a what you'd get if you mixed Megan Fox and Liv Tyler.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-02-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

She would easily fill Lynda Carter's bustier, er, um, shoes nicely.
Really? They look small to me. They're just pushed together. Wasn't Linda Carter curvier?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.