Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

King's Quest Fan Continuations To Finally See Light of Day (PC)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-27-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Activision and the team that made the homebrew King's Quest updates have finally reached an agreement.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Ambitious Fan Project The Silver Lining Resurfaces July 10 In Episodic Format
The wait is over for the free game inspired by the legendary King's Quest series

SACRAMENTO, CALIF., June 26, 2010 - Phoenix Online Studios is happy to announce the July 10th debut of The Silver Lining with "Episode 1: What is Decreed Must Be," the first of a series of episodes that will be released throughout 2010. The highly-anticipated fan-made project will allow gamers to revisit familiar characters and lands inspired by Roberta Williams' beloved King's Quest universe, which captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of fans during the 80's and 90's.

In The Silver Lining, players will assume the role of King Graham as he sets out on a quest to save his children, Rosella and Alexander, from a mysterious curse. The episodes will be released as free downloads from www.tsl-game.com. "We played about 20 minutes of the first chapter, and now I'm dying to know how the story unfolds (...) this game nails it by feeling like a true heir to the throne," said Joystiq in a recent preview of the game.

Phoenix Online Studios and Activision have worked together over the last few months to build a relationship that will enable The Silver Lining to be freely distributed to its eager fans.

For more information about The Silver Lining, the latest updates, or to join Phoenix Online Studios' The Silver Lining community, visit www.tsl-game.com.

About Phoenix Online Studios
Established in 2004 and previously known as "Phoenix Freeware Online," Phoenix Online Studios began as a group of King's Quest fans coming together to create an unofficial sequel to the series. Their first project, The Silver Lining, has been called one of the most ambitious fan projects ever made and has garnered attention from publications such as PC Gamer, Computer Gaming World, Game Informer, Edge, GamesTM, Kotaku, and Joystiq, among others. The team is excited to finally unveil the long-awaited The Silver Lining to the world.

Phoenix Online Studios is currently working on their first commercial endeavors. More information about Phoenix Online Studios can be found on the company's website, www.postudios.com.

Last edited by chuckd21; 06-27-10 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-27-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: King's Quest Fan Continuations To Finally See Light of Day (PC)

Great news, but I wonder how many babies had to be fed to Kotick in order for this to happen...
Old 06-27-10, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now maybe they'll pick up that Quest for Glory continuation!
Old 06-27-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Now maybe they will hire this group of developers and pay them to make good games rather than the shit that activision cranks out. I wouldn't mind paying for DLC of a King's Quest game that I could play on my PS3.
Old 02-20-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody play this? Episode 3 just came out. Motivated me to play through Episode 1 and I rather enjoyed it. The nostalgia was great, and I can't complain for it being free. Episode 1 is supposedly more like an introduction, so I'll report back after playing through Episode 2.