Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday Night Lights: Will Season 5 be the Last?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-23-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connie Britton says she won't be surprised if they came back for a 6th season.
READ HERE

My thoughts: I find it interesting that neither Kyle Chandler or Connie Britton did pilots for next season. I may be looking too far into that, but it is interesting.
I heard he was offered the lead in Spielberg's new SciFi series and he turned it down.

Could they make a sixth season work? Should they?
Old 06-23-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Friday Night Lights: Will Season 5 be the Last?

Its already been officially announced that season 5 is the last.
Old 06-23-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who officially announced it?
Old 06-23-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/02/...lights-to-end/
Old 06-23-10, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Who officially announced it?
In the interviews I've seen with the cast and director around the time seasons 3+4 were picked up, they're approaching it like "We're so thankful we were given two more seasons to play out our storylines--it will be the perfect ending to FNL."

In other words, I don't know if it's been set in stone that Season 5 will be the last, but I think everyone from the creators and cast to the NBC/DirecTV people are thinking that. If it got stellar ratings for some reason in the final season, maybe they'd think twice, but the chances of that are slim to none since it hasn't happened by now.

EDIT: Oh, and DVDJosh's link, too. :P
Old 06-23-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I read that too .. but then Katims responded with this.

He could be in denial ... season 5 will probably be the last, I just find it interesting that some think it may not be.
Old 06-23-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I read that too .. but then Katims responded with this.

He could be in denial ... season 5 will probably be the last, I just find it interesting that some think it may not be.
He is. As you mentioned, the cast is already auditioning for other pilots, Chandler nearly took Terra Nova. It's done, which sucks, but it is true.
Old 06-23-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

NBC IMO is not going to co-pay for another season. Have you seen the Friday ratings? Barely over 3M viewers and barely over 1.0 in the demos. And I don't think the Directv airings are really making any ratings dents either. I'm just glad that it got 3 more seasons after NBC was going to can it.
Old 06-24-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My thoughts: I find it interesting that neither Kyle Chandler or Connie Britton did pilots for next season. I may be looking too far into that, but it is interesting.
Well EW had a blurb that they were just finishing filming the last episode last week. So not sure when they'd get time to do pilots. Either way the mini-spoilers they had has me eager to see how they're going to wrap it all up. Hey, I'm just glad this show lasted this long and survived the 2nd season (the Landry-kills-the-rapist story?!?!).
Old 06-24-10, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I'd love nothing more than another season, but I resigned myself to 5 being the last season long ago. That's already two more seasons than it should have gotten, so to NBC and DirectTV.
Old 06-24-10, 08:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It's done. IIRC, ABC Family did buy the rights to re-air all 5 Seasons, so there is a small chance it might come back for 13 more episodes. Small, very small. But I doubt it when the whole TWC buying NBC right now. They may not want to be in business with DirecTV.
Old 06-24-10, 09:46 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I too am very thankful that we are getting 5 seasons of this wonderful show. Hell, I fully expected it to last 1 season and 2 if we were lucky. I am perfectly content and satisfied with season 5 being the last.
Old 06-24-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Fine with me. The show ended with season 3 as far as I'm concerned - the contrivances forced upon the show with the high school split and a sudden appearance of a "hood" in a small town, with all the drug dealing, gang banging, abortions, etc etc, really drew me out of the show.
Old 06-24-10, 11:14 AM

Yep....Comcast buying NBC pretty much puts the final nail in FNL's coffin.
Old 06-24-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
Fine with me. The show ended with season 3 as far as I'm concerned - the contrivances forced upon the show with the high school split and a sudden appearance of a "hood" in a small town, with all the drug dealing, gang banging, abortions, etc etc, really drew me out of the show.
I never got the feeling that Dylan was all that "small" of a town. It reminded of a semi-major city like Winston-Salem, Redding, Rochester, etc.
Old 06-24-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I never got the feeling that Dylan was all that "small" of a town. It reminded of a semi-major city like Winston-Salem, Redding, Rochester, etc.
With only one high school, I figured it was a town of about 5-10,000. But after this last season, I would say it's a town of about 50-60,000, even though I think they want it to seem smaller than that.
Old 06-24-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I never had that impression. Not even close. Applebee's was essentially on the high end of dining options. How big could it be?

I just looked up Winston-Salem for the hell of it, and it shows at least a dozen public high schools.
Old 06-24-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My wife is from a small town in Texas. She said it was a huge deal when they got their first McDonald's. I would imagine if Applebee's is there it's a decent size town.

Originally Posted by slop101
Appearance of a "hood?" Just because a character hadn't been through the hood in the first 3 seasons doesn't mean it couldn't have existed.

I'm still watching live on NBC, but I don't get all the gripes about 4 at all (after reading a bumped thread). Still the same great show to me, week in and week out.
Old 06-24-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
My wife is from a small town in Texas. She said it was a huge deal when they got their first McDonald's. I would imagine if Applebee's is there it's a decent size town.

I don't know about small towns in Texas but I am well-acquainted with a small town in PA. I went to college in Lewisburg, PA. The population of the town is about 5,000. 9,000 if you include the college kids. It includes a Wal-Mart, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Applebees. One high school.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-24-10 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I don't know about small towns in Texas but I am well-acquainted with a small town in PA. I went to college in Lewisburg, PA. The population of the town is about 5,000. 9,000 if you include the college kids. It includes a Wal-Mart, McDonalds, KFC, Pizza Hut, and Applebees. One high school.
I'm sure it has those big chains because of the college.

Amhurst/Holyoke, MA would be a ghost town if it weren't for UMass.
Old 06-24-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I never had that impression. Not even close. Applebee's was essentially on the high end of dining options. How big could it be?

I just looked up Winston-Salem for the hell of it, and it shows at least a dozen public high schools.
It's pretty clear that Dillon is a large city. Whether or not that's what they intended is another thing.
Old 06-24-10, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Noonan
I'm sure it has those big chains because of the college.

Amhurst/Holyoke, MA would be a ghost town if it weren't for UMass.
So would Lexington KY.
Old 06-24-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appearance of a "hood?" Just because a character hadn't been through the hood in the first 3 seasons doesn't mean it couldn't have existed.
IIRC the neighborhood that Flash lived in was more sketchy than it was average. Granted what we're seeing now is much lower rent, but it isn't that far off from Flash's neighborhood.

I'm still watching live on NBC, but I don't get all the gripes about 4 at all (after reading a bumped thread). Still the same great show to me, week in and week out.
I agree. But the complainers can bail for all I care. I'm enjoying it (Hello? No love at least for "The Son" episode?!?!), and the final episodes for one more season are in the can. I'm going to watch and love every last one of 'em too!
Old 06-24-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

It's pretty clear that Dillon is a large city. Whether or not that's what they intended is another thing.
How is it pretty clear?

From this conversation it's quite obviously not clear at all. It screamed small town Texas from the very start.
Old 06-24-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you really want to debate... they eat at EZ's Pizza in the first episode (it's actually the one on North Lamar just north of Downtown across from Central Market)... the only two places in Texas with EZ's are San Antonio & Austin. Therefore the show takes place in a suburb of Austin... to be precise, it's filmed in Pflugerville (a northern suburb of Austin), just north of here. Pflugerville has a population of around 17,000 the last time I checked... which would make it relatively "small town".

I'll just be sad when it's off the air because it's fun to spot local spots on the show, lol. There is Generation Y (which I think is now "My Generation") that will be filming (and SET) in Austin in the Fall season though.

Last edited by RobLutter; 06-24-10 at 09:31 PM.