Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (June 28th) - R-Point

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

R-Point (2004)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

Selected by LickTheABCs.

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
During the Vietnam War, a South Korean army base begins receiving mysterious radio transmissions from a patrol that went missing six months earlier.
A shell-shocked commanding officer (Woo-Sung Kam) and a ragtag military unit are sent into the desolate stretch of land known as R-Point to gather clues as to the whereabouts of the missing soldiers.
What appeared to be a clear search and rescue mission turns into something far more terrifying than any battle.

FUN FACTS
Several scenes weren't even filmed due to money and time factors.
This included an extended opening where Lieutenant Choi's platoon is decimated while in battle with the Viet-Cong in a lumber camp.
This scene would then be followed by the filmed opening in Ho Chi Minh city.
One scene in the trailer is shown as a night scene while it is a day scene in the finished movie.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in these discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

Horror Film Club Home

Old 07-05-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (June 28th) - R-Point

I can't believe that I am going to be the first person to comment on this one. Well, here it goes ... I thought this one was all right. I didn't find it scary in the least, and I'm tired of seeing movies with young long-haired Asian women trying to be creepy. While it wasn't a knockout or anything, I'm happy that I got the chance to see it. I probably wouldn't have seen it if it weren't for this club. I hope that people are still enthused about this. I know I was absent for a bit, but I've caught up again and ready for more.
Old 07-07-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, although I like the film it isn't the least bit scary.
Old 07-07-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I don't mean to sound too critical about the movie. It certainly wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't a scary horror movie. I do stand by my comment about the long-haired Asian women being used as a scare device. I realize this film is a few years old now; it's just that I've seen it so many times before at this point.
Old 07-11-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Watched it tonight and thought it was a decent flick. I would have never heard of it if it hadn't been mentioned for the club though. It has a pretty creepy atmosphere and it had a few chills near the end. A little slow in the middle and the brief scene with the worst American actor they could find was slightly humorous. I felt the cast did a good job of acting though and you could really feel their dread.

It was refreshing to watch a movie dealing with war from something other than the American side which I don't typically see very often. I agree with clckworang that the "creepy Asian woman" scares have been played out. They could of at least had a man in that part to be a little different.

Anyway, not great, not terrible.

***1/2 out of *****
Old 07-21-10, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I think this was the best choice for a horror movie in this club so far. It is a little known movie, and does real well IMO. It isn't the scariest movie, but it does have it's moments. Also the character build in this, I think is good but a little typecast. Every stereotype in the genre is here in some aspect or another. All in all 6/10. Good movie I think, and what the club should be about.,