Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 11 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/16-17/10)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which dancer will be going home this week?
Billy Bell (Contemporary)
0%
Alex Wong (Ballet)
0%
Kent Boyd (Contemporary)
0%
Jose Ruiz (Breakdance)
0%
Adéchiké Torbert (Contemporary)
16.67%
Robert Roldan (Contemporary)
0%
Lauren Froderman (Contemporary)
0%
Alexie Agdeppa (Contemporary)
0%
Melinda Sullivan (Tap)
33.33%
Cristina Santana (Salsa)
33.33%
Ashley Galvan (Contemporary)
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-10, 07:51 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Episode Descriptions:

"The Top 11" - 6/16/10 - 2hrs - 8/7c
The Top 11 dancers take the stage to perform live for your votes for the first time! Find out which All-Stars the Top 11 get paired with, and which styles they'll tackle.

"Results Show" - 6/17/10 - 1hr - 9/8c
Then tune-in Thursday as one dancer will be sent home during the live one-hour show. In addition, The Top 11 will perform a Tessandra Chavez group routine, R&B superstar Usher will sing his latest hit, "OMG," and acclaimed dance duo Karine Plantadit and Keith Roberts will sizzle as they take the stage. Which 10 finalists will continue on in the competition? Tune in to find out!
And with that... here are your Top 11 America!

So You Think You Can Dance - Season 7 Top 11 finalist - top row L-R: Lauren Froderman, Jose Ruiz, Adechike Torbert, Melinda Sullivan, Alex Wong, Kent Boyd and Alexie Agdeppa. Bottom row L-R: Billy Bell, Cristina Santana, Robert Roldan and Ashley Galvan

The All-Stars (season/styles) are:
  1. Twitch (Season 4; Popping/Locking/Krump)
  2. Kathryn (Season 6; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)
  3. Pasha (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  4. Allison (Season 2; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)
  5. Ade (Season 5; Contemporary/Classical)
  6. Comfort (Season 4; Hip Hop/Krump)
  7. Lauren (Season 3; Hip Hop/Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway)
  8. Mark (Season 4; Jazz/Broadway/Cultural)
  9. Anya (Season 3; Ballroom/Latin)
  10. Dominic (Season 3; Hip Hop/Breakdancing)
  11. Courtney (Season 4; Contemporary/Jazz)
  12. Neil (Season 3; Jazz/Contemporary/Broadway/Cultural)

<fieldset style="width: 450px; margin: 10px auto;"><legend>SYTYCD Season 7 Threads</legend>
SYTYCD (Season 7) - 10 Dancers + 10 All-Stars (Begins 5/27/10)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - The Auditions Thread (5/27 & 6/2-3)
SYTYCD (Season 7) - "Vegas + Green Mile" & "Meet The Top 10" (6/9-10/10)
</fieldset>

Last edited by Goldberg74; 06-16-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: SYTYCD (Season 7) - "The Top 11 Dance" & "Results Show" (6/16-17/10)

So long as Lauren stays, I don't care, but overall it should be an eye-opening week to see them compete against each other.
Old 06-16-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed all of the tryouts. Is Alex Wong the guy who was in the Miami Ballet but couldn't get out of his contract a couple of seasons ago?

Also, from what I've read, there will not be an elimination this week, "the hour-long show is meant purely to introduce and showcase the top 11". So my vote would be for "none of the above" if it was an option.
Old 06-16-10, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Heat
I missed all of the tryouts. Is Alex Wong the guy who was in the Miami Ballet but couldn't get out of his contract a couple of seasons ago?
Yes, from Season 5. He went straight to Vegas. No need to audition. Same with Season 6's Billy Bell (who got sick right before Season 6 started).

Also, from what I've read, there will not be an elimination this week, "the hour-long show is meant purely to introduce and showcase the top 11". So my vote would be for "none of the above" if it was an option.
Last Thursday's show was a "Meet the Top 11" and there was no voting.

Tonight, they'll dance with an All-Star, we will vote, and one dancer will go home.
Old 06-16-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I think you were reading about last week's show. It was the first hour long show and was an introduction. This week we have two hour long shows and one should be eliminated.
Old 06-16-10, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favorite dance was Roberts African dance...loved the movement of that dance and thought he danced it beautifully! Loved Alex also. Didnt like Melinda or Alexie at all. I thought the judges were pretty harsh with some of them about their performances. I did find myself watching the all stars. Though Mark, Twitch, Ade and Neil were amazing, so I hardly watched the girls.
Old 06-16-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeah the All Stars to me are sucking me in.

I have such a man crush on Ade and Twitch and I couldn't take my eyes off them tonight, especially Ade. Alex was amazing but he's a pro so I think we should expect that from him which I think will lead to some resentment from the voting audience later in the season.
Old 06-16-10, 10:36 PM

DVR screwed up.

Missed it.

Sadness.

Old 06-16-10, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, all-stars were good to watch. Interesting to watch the paired all-stars/newbies dance. I'm fine with that so far. Show handled it well, didn't miss Mary's screaming one bit. Overall, it's been a good start.
Old 06-16-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Billy Bell - The number was beneath his talents, but I was sort of oogling Lauren through the number.

Cristina Santana - Did not get the love she got from the judges, Mark blew her off the stage.

Jose Ruiz - so-so, Comfort was a better performer, and she's not that good.

Melinda Sullivan - over-sold the face, and lacked technique.

Adechike Torbert - too busy gawking at Kathryn, but if the judges through he was in danger, so be it.

Lauren Froderman - still hasn't transitioned from looking like a dancing cheerleader in this number.

Alex Wong - killed this number, and his partner was very complementary in dance styles/performance level.

Alexie Agdeppa - way too soft and cute for a hip-hop number.

Kent Boyd - was fun to watch, danced with zest, even if his technique wasn't quite there yet.

Ashley Galvan - almost pulled off a good contemporary number, but too young and inexperienced emotionally at the moment.

Robert Roldan - solid number, helped having Courtney as a partner as she is above average, but wasn't going to out-dance him.

Last edited by Patman; 06-16-10 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-17-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Billy Bell - Agree that his number was beneath his talents. But there's a lot of talent there and he shouldn't be in trouble at all.

Cristina Santana - Didn't do anything for me here. She's great at ballroom, but it seems hard for her to transition to other forms.

Jose Ruiz - I'm surprised the judges liked Jose in this number. It seemed very weak to me.

Melinda Sullivan - She did better than I thought she would, but she's just not up to the level of the other performers.

Adechike Torbert
- He didn't seem into his number at all. Not the way the red dress was into him.

Lauren Froderman
- She's my early favorite, but she was horrible in this dance. It's like she completely checked out.

Alex Wong - Dang, I don't know how anyone's gonna beat this guy unless he just can't handle other styles.

Alexie Agdeppa - Eh, too soft here. I don't get the love for her.

Kent Boyd - I couldn't believe he could do this number. I thought he'd crumble for sure, and then he owned it. Nicely done.

Ashley Galvan - Not bad, not great. I still feel like I don't know who she is as she was barely in all the pre-shows.

Robert Roldan
- Very well done! Great number and he didn't seem to miss a beat.

I'd send home Jose or Melinda if I had my choice.
Old 06-17-10, 12:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be missing something because I thought Alex's routine was good, but not the legendary piece of work the judges seemed to think it was. I mean, they were saying it was one of the best things ever on the show? It was a good piece and it was danced very well by both Alex and Allison, but honestly it's not something I'm going to remember much about a few episodes from now, let alone an all-time SYTYCD classic.
Old 06-17-10, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by DRG
I must be missing something because I thought Alex's routine was good, but not the legendary piece of work the judges seemed to think it was. I mean, they were saying it was one of the best things ever on the show? It was a good piece and it was danced very well by both Alex and Allison, but honestly it's not something I'm going to remember much about a few episodes from now, let alone an all-time SYTYCD classic.
The performance level was very high in this number...very emotional..and the technique by Alex was insane!! Unbelievable feet and lines...just perfection. The combination of the two makes it a standout number.

That being said, I enjoyed Roberts number and performance much more. His movement was incredible...his technique was wonderful! Cant wait to see what else he can show us!
Old 06-17-10, 02:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by magiccmom
The performance level was very high in this number...very emotional..and the technique by Alex was insane!! Unbelievable feet and lines...just perfection. The combination of the two makes it a standout number.
A standout number, sure. But the praise was way higher than that... First Nigel told Alex he "set a new standard for So You Think You Dance." Then Mia said: "I have to say that that is the best, hands-down … piece of work danced on the So You Think You Can Dance stage anywhere, in the world, up to date." Really????

I definitely think Alex deserved a ton of praise for that routine... he danced it beautifully. But the best piece in the show's history??? Seemed way hyperbolic to me, especially coming one episode into the season.
Old 06-17-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I heard what Mia said, I told my wife what is she smoking. Crap, the bench dance by Travor and Heidi, which was choreographed by Mia herself, was better IMO.
Old 06-17-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DRG
Agreed. After Nigel said that, I ran back the performance, thinking I must have missed something. I actually got kind of got bored and looked away about halfway-through. It was well-danced for sure, but I found it a little dull.
Old 06-17-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite dance was Roberts African dance...
When I saw that I thought "It's the African Ant-Eater Ritual!"

Old 06-17-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF is this Justin Bieber or whatever shit?
Old 06-17-10, 08:59 PM

Dont get the love for Christina as a salsa dancer...she is one of the worst imo, the show has ever had.
Old 06-17-10, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dont get the love for Christina as a salsa dancer...she is one of the worst imo, the show has ever had.
Cristina is good at moving her bum, but she's got lazy feet and her arms aren't all that spectacular, so she gets a pass on the Latin dancing, but she'd just not all that enjoyable to watch while dancing.
Old 06-17-10, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zuffy
When I heard what Mia said, I told my wife what is she smoking. Crap, the bench dance by Travor and Heidi, which was choreographed by Mia herself, was better IMO.
Yeah, it's annoying how they exaggerate/overhype things and overpraise the choreographers. Such suck-ups.

Didn't expect Alexie to go, thought it would be Melinda or Cristina.

And man, I still hate that fucking stage. They totally overuse the zillion lights it has.
Old 06-18-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alexie Agdeppa was voted off, so now we really are at our Top 10.

Old 06-18-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah, it's annoying how they exaggerate/overhype things and overpraise the choreographers. Such suck-ups.

Didn't expect Alexie to go, thought it would be Melinda or Cristina.

And man, I still hate that fucking stage. They totally overuse the zillion lights it has.
Out of the three, I thought Alexie just looked bored when "dancing for her life." The other two put much more into it. That said, what I'm really surprised about is that Alexie was put in the final three over Adechike. I thought his performance was completely soulless and he should have been put in the final three over her.

Oh well. I don't think any of these will make it to the final 5.
Old 06-18-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm just wondering if we're going to see a re-run of what happened with the voting on "Idol" this season, -with the girls pretty much going out in very short order.
Old 06-18-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'm just wondering if we're going to see a re-run of what happened with the voting on "Idol" this season, -with the girls pretty much going out in very short order.
It seems that way, doesn't it? Then again, I don't think the girls are all that great this season, either. It's heavily stacked with better guy dancers this season.

I guess most of the guy dancers are glad the Charlize lookalike didn't make the cut, she'd be hard to toss around the dance floor in the lifts.

The remaining girls:

Lauren - cute but pageanty in her performance.
Melinda - too actor-ish in presentation as well, not an all-around dancer, either.
Cristina - a lazy-footed salsa dancer, just not feeling her dance vibe at all.
Ashley - not quite done "baking", no telling if she'll get there before getting cut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.