Reload this Page >

Playstation Move Thread

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playstation Move Thread

Old 06-15-10, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts
Playstation Move Thread

Since Natal Kinect has its own thread, I thought it would only be right to have one for the Move controller, as it'll have its time in the spotlight tomorrow. I feel that this motion sensing system has me the most excited because (at least in theory) it would be the one that might actually enhance current-gen games with improved, more intuitive controls instead of just turning into a tech demo or a gimmicky waggle-fest. IGN has a little impression piece that's entirely too geeky to cut & paste, but the bottom line is that it actually works and enhanced SOCOM 4's gameplay. Also they were really impressed by the true 1:1 in that Sports Champions game. I'm looking forward to seeing more tomorrow.

I'm not sold on this yet, but I did buy Tiger Woods 11 for the PS3 in anticipation of Move controls, and it's nice that certain existing games like ModNation Racers and LBP will integrate the controller into their games.
Old 06-15-10, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Re: Playstation Move Thread

I won't buy a PS3 anytime soon but like I said previously, I think Sony's Move will come out ahead of other movement systems in terms of it's operation and maybe even the games.

I also think the "enhanced SOCOM play" comments are what wee need to see more of. Start telling and showing people that this Move will truly improve existing popular games and I think more people will buy into it. I mean if Sony's Move can find its "Resident Evil 5 Move Edition" or "God of War 3 Move Edition" then that will be awesome.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-15-10 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-15-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I mean if Sony's Move can find its "Resident Evil 5 Move Edition" then that will be awesome.
Was that the case with RE4 and the Wii Waggle redeemed?
Old 06-15-10, 09:52 AM

This will be the first time that a game console will have mainstream games with optional motion control. I think that's not being emphasized enough. You'll be able to play certain games with the Move if you like, or with the DS3 if you prefer that traditional set up. Much like the option to play fighting games with a fightstick, this choice can only enhance gameplay for the gamer -- at least that's what I hope.
Old 06-15-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Totally agree with what Decker was saying and am hopeful that Socom does a good job of integrating it. It is still a peripheral that I am not sure can be a system seller. Casual gamers already have their Wii and i am not sure if people are ready to plop down the cost of a PS3 and PS Move even if it is bundled together.
Old 06-15-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
This will be the first time that a game console will have mainstream games with optional motion control. I think that's not being emphasized enough. You'll be able to play certain games with the Move if you like, or with the DS3 if you prefer that traditional set up. Much like the option to play fighting games with a fightstick, this choice can only enhance gameplay for the gamer -- at least that's what I hope.
So like Lair?
Old 06-15-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be honest that I don't know much about Move yet, but I'm thinking it's sort of a mixture of Kinect and Wii? Kinect in that it has a camera that watches and Wii in that you have a device in your hand that is tracked by the camera. Is that kinda correct?

Does Move do anything that can be added to Kinect in the future?
Old 06-15-10, 10:41 AM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. The controller has a bulb that is tracked by the camera and magnetic sensors to track when it gets obstructed as well as buttons and triggers.

Wikipedia entry:
Motion controller

The PlayStation Move motion controller features an orb at the head which can glow in any of a full range of colors using RGB light-emitting diodes (LEDs).[10] The colored light serves as an active marker, the position of which can be tracked along the image plane by the PlayStation Eye.[11][12] The uniform spherical shape and known size of the light also allows the system to simply determine the controller's distance from the PlayStation Eye through the light's image size, thus enabling the controller's position to be tracked in three dimensions[12][13] with high precision and accuracy.[fn 1] The sphere-based distance calculation allows the controller to operate with minimal processing latency,[16] as opposed to other camera-based control techniques on the PlayStation 3.[17]

A pair of inertial sensors inside the controller, a three-axis linear accelerometer and a three-axis angular rate sensor, are used to track rotation as well as overall motion.[14][11] An internal magnetometer is also used for calibrating the controller's orientation against the Earth's magnetic field to help correct against cumulative error (drift) in the inertial sensors.[1] The inertial sensors can be used for dead reckoning in cases which the camera tracking is insufficient, such as when the controller is obscured behind the player's back.[10]

The controller face features a large ovoid primary button (Move),[18] small action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), and a regular-sized PS button, arranged in a similar configuration as on the Blu-ray Disc Remote Control. On the left and right side of the controller is a Select and Start button, respectively. On the underside is an analog trigger (T).[10] On the tail end of the controller is the wrist strap, USB port, and extension port.[19]

The motion controller features vibration-based haptic technology.[10] In addition to providing a tracking reference, the controller's orb light can be used to provide visual feedback,[10] simulating aesthetic effects such as the muzzle flash of a gun, or the paint on a brush.[20]

Using different orb colors for each controller,[10] up to four motion controllers can be tracked at once with the PlayStation Eye.[20] Demonstrations for the controller have featured activities using a single motion controller, as well as those in which the user wields two motion controllers, with one in each hand.[21][11] To minimize the cost of entry, Sony has stated that all launch titles for PlayStation Move will be playable with one motion controller, with enhanced options available for multiple motion controllers.[22]

All image processing for PlayStation Move is performed in the PlayStation 3's Cell microprocessor.[16] According to Sony, use of the motion-tracking library entails some Synergistic Processing Unit (SPU) overhead as well an impact on memory, though the company states that the effects will be minimized.[23] According to Move motion controller co-designer Anton Mikhailov, the library uses 1-2 megabytes of system memory.[16]
[edit] Navigation controller

The PlayStation Move navigation controller (originally referred to as the PlayStation Move sub-controller[24]) is a one-handed supplementary controller designed for use in conjunction with the PlayStation Move motion controller for certain types of gameplay. Replicating the major functionality of the left side of a standard PlayStation Wireless Controller, the PlayStation Move navigation controller features a left analog stick (with L3 button function), a D-pad, and L1 and L2 analog triggers.[6] The navigation controller also features Cross and Circle action buttons, as well as a PS button. Since all controls correspond to those of a standard Wireless Controller, a Sixaxis or DualShock 3 controller can be used in place of the navigation controller in PlayStation Move applications.[1]
SOCOM demo

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkHwaXcXumo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SkHwaXcXumo&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Tech Demo

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1S0wWoDz9nQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1S0wWoDz9nQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-15-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

So wait...are you saying the Wii doesn't have mainstream games with optional motion control? Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil 4, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and a number of sports games, among others can be played with the Classic Controller or GameCube controller. Implementation of motion control (when available) is entirely software dependent - not console dependent.

That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about Move. I think Sony has the advantage of being able to have learned from Nintendo's mistakes and could potentially take motion control to another level. We'll see.
Old 06-15-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again. I'm not sure if having "optional" motion control is a good idea. Are the developers going to design the game around the DS3 controller, or the Move? I'm not sure if designing for both will yield optimal gameplay for either. Or, it could be a situation where the Move gives such an advantage (or disadvantage) that you either have to use it to compete, or you don't want it because it doesn't work as well as a standard controller.

BTW, some games (like GTAIV) already have optional motion control using the Sixaxis thing, and nobody seems to use it because it makes the game harder than it needs to be. Sometimes when I play Flower, I wonder if it would be easier if I could control using the sticks.

But, we'll see how this works out. This could be more precise due to the much wider range of movement. For LBP2, this could be really good for building levels. I just don't think I'd want to use it for playing them.
Old 06-15-10, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again. I'm not sure if having "optional" motion control is a good idea. Are the developers going to design the game around the DS3 controller, or the Move? I'm not sure if designing for both will yield optimal gameplay for either. Or, it could be a situation where the Move gives such an advantage (or disadvantage) that you either have to use it to compete, or you don't want it because it doesn't work as well as a standard controller.

BTW, some games (like GTAIV) already have optional motion control using the Sixaxis thing, and nobody seems to use it because it makes the game harder than it needs to be. Sometimes when I play Flower, I wonder if it would be easier if I could control using the sticks.

But, we'll see how this works out. This could be more precise due to the much wider range of movement. For LBP2, this could be really good for building levels. I just don't think I'd want to use it for playing them.
While I can see your point, I'd counter with Tiger Woods 11, which got great reviews and a Metacritic score of 84 with nary a mention of the Move controls. When that controller is available, it will make the game that much more realistic and should make for tighter controls without sacrificing any functionality.

You can see a little of the TW 11 with the Move controller in this clip :

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsYTMsr6GD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tsYTMsr6GD8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

So if it's already a very good golf game using a DS3 and a better one with the Move, isn't that what we would want from an optional peripheral?
Old 06-15-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So if it's already a very good golf game using a DS3 and a better one with the Move, isn't that what we would want from an optional peripheral?
Most definitely, but one game will not make this a hit. Sports games are a natural fit for motion controls. We need to see consistently good use of the Move over a broad spectrum of game types. Not only sports games and brawlers.
Old 06-15-10, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl

Lair was brought up before, and still fits... I only bought the game after they implemented a way to use the thumbsticks to control the dragon, since I had heard the motion controls were terrible.

I've learned my lesson with these peripherals, though... I'm not investing until there are at least a couple of decent games that utilize them, I have too many accessories that are used for only a couple of halfway decent games.
Old 06-15-10, 01:59 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno... if I was playing a golf video game, I wouldn't wanna suck at the game because I can't swing a golf club right

I have a Wii but I quickly learned how easy it was to play most games by just sitting on the sofa flicking your wrist, instead of having to stand the whole time. And on a game like say Borderlands or Red Dead Redemption that could take many many hours to play... stuff like that is just more fun sitting down. I like certain games with the Wii controls, but I couldn't imagine me swinging a controller like it's a huge battle axe in gold of war
Old 06-15-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Was that the case with RE4 and the Wii Waggle redeemed?
Hell yeah. It's the only Wii game I haven't sold or traded.
Old 06-15-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Agree 100%. And mind you, other than RE4 Wii edition I still prefer conventional controllers.

To me, a lot of the negative appeal of these motion systems have come from folks viewing corny demo games and getting turned off.
Old 06-17-10, 01:30 AM

For all those who own a PS Eye and were worried about the Move costing $49.99 + and additional $29.99 for the subcontroller : Good news! (As seen in IGN)

E3 2010: PlayStation Move has DualShock Support
If you don't want to pay for the navigation Controller, you don't have to.

Yesterday, the world found out when the PlayStation Move is coming and how much it's going to cost. However, when the price tags popped up at the Sony press conference, there was a bit of grumbling from the audience. In the United States, the PlayStation Move wand will cost $49.99 and the navigation controller – the little bit with an analog stick – will cost an additional $29.99.

An $80 entry cost to Sony's new method of control? People weren't thrilled.

However, it turns out that the navigation controller isn't a necessity. If you want to, you can hold your SixAxis or DualShock 3 controller in your left hand and the PlayStation Move in your right and not miss a beat. The navigation controller does have a few extra buttons on it, but the ones you need to play games – L1, L2 and an analog stick – are all right where you need them on the SixAxis/DualShock 3's left side.

While holding a full-size controller with one hand might not be the most comfortable thing for long periods of time, it's good to know that you can be frugal and get the most out of your PlayStation Move library.
Old 06-17-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but the ones you need to play games – L1, L2 and an analog stick – are all right where you need them on the SixAxis/DualShock 3's left side. [/FONT]
That sounds awkward as hell IMO.
Old 06-17-10, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by superfro
That sounds awkward as hell IMO.
Not really that bad. If you use a sixaxis, it's feather-light. You grip the thing in the middle, holding it in your left palm with the dual analog sticks nearest your left wrist (the way you're supposed to hold it for High Velocity Bowling). Your thumb then falls comfortably onto the L analog stick and your index finger rests on L2. Yes, L1 is a reach, and if you needed to press that button often it would be semi-torture, but otherwise it's totally do-able -- at least until you find a subcontroller (or whatever they're calling that nunchuck) on sale.

It's far less comfortable with a DS3 due to its added weight.

Last edited by Decker; 06-17-10 at 02:02 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I tried it and it's pretty awkward. I don't have a Sixaxis anymore though. If I even get the Move, I'll need the other piece for games that call for it.

BTW, is each piece going to have to be assigned its own controller port? I presume the wand will be separate from a Dual Shock 3, but I wonder if the other piece would need a port as well. That would essentially mean 3 ports used for one player, since you'll always want to have a DS3 paired, and that's not counting a bluetooth headset. You have up to 7 ports, but it seems like they could get used up in a hurry with this if each piece needs its own port, and you don't want to keep re-pairing.

Although, if the Move needs a USB dongle, both pieces could share a port like the Buzz buzzers.
Old 06-17-10, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd assume the Move and the subcontroller do not need a dongle
Old 06-17-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

From what I remember at the tech demo, your two controllers (either the move and subcontroller or two moves or I assume one move and one DS3) are paired together and so only take up controller port.
Old 09-01-10, 10:35 AM

First IGN Move Reviews are up. Sounds Pretty good, actually -- at least the hardware and EyePet. I'll be getting those.

Hardware Review - 8.5
<object id='vid_64989' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=move_vdr_090110&object=64989' /></object>

EyePet Review - 8.0
<object id='vid_14275443' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=eyepet_vdr_083110&object=14275443' /></object>

Sports Champions Review - 7.5
<object id='vid_64973' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=spotschamp_vdr_083110&object=64973' /></object>

Kung Fu Rider - 3.5
<object id='vid_33577' width='480' height='270' data='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash'><param name='movie' value='http://media.ign.com/ev/embed.swf' /><param name='allowfullscreen' value='true' /><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000' /><param name='flashvars' value='vgroup=kungfurider_gmp_daring_escape_83110&object=33577' /></object>

Last edited by Decker; 09-01-10 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 10:48 AM

Disappointing that the Move doesn't work as well as the Wii version for Tiger Woods 11. I bought that game with this in mind.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1116021p1.html
Old 09-01-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Disappointing that the Move doesn't work as well as the Wii version for Tiger Woods 11. I bought that game with this in mind.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/111/1116021p1.html
Huh? It sounds like it works better, but the game itself is missing features (views/shakes). I don't see anywhere in there that says the WiiMote has better control then the Move.

What has really impressed me when it comes to Move is its ability to detect finite motions. Remember those short little putts that drove you bonkers in Wii Sports' golf game? Well, now all you need to do is cock your wrists back and release them through the shot, just as you would on a real golf course. The annoyance of having the power meter inexplicably shoot upward is gone.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.