Penn & Teller: Bull****: Cheerleaders - 6/10/10

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Showtime, 9:00pm CDT.

The eighth season kicks off with... Cheerleaders!?

In the Season Eight premiere, it's as All-American as apple pie, but cheerleading is also responsible for 65% of all catastrophic female sport injuries, with competitive coaches, fanatic parents, and a multimillion dollar industry concerned with its bottom line.
Now here's a topic that has been crying for the Bullshit treatment for years. I can't believe it has taken this long.

Wait, that's the silliest thing I've ever said. Who the hell cares? Probably just an excuse to have cheerleader parodies with boobies. OK, not all bad but where have all the good topics gone?
Old 06-10-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Penn & Teller: Bull****: Cheerleaders - 6/10/10

Always look forward to a new season of Bullshit, but I also have to wonder about the topic. Is the well really this dry?
Old 06-10-10, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno, makes some sense to do one on cheerleaders as it does have quite a high level of douchebag parents living vicariously through their children, much like highschool football in Texas. I probably wouldn't have had it as a season opener though.
Old 06-10-10, 08:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey, Penn and Teller, I'll tell you what's bullshit:

Spoiler:

YOU!
Old 06-10-10, 11:09 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This show has evolved from "Everything you think you know about Topic X is wrong!" into "Here are some horrible things that nobody ever talks about when it comes to Topic X!" With that in mind, cheerleaders seems to fit right in.
Old 06-10-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw an interview with Penn where he said he wanted to kick off the season with Vaccines, but Showtime decided that this would be the better choice. Oh well, let's get it over with. And boobies.
Old 06-10-10, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

We are just finishing up S7 and watched "Organic Foods" last night....classic !!! Loved it.
Old 06-10-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I saw an interview with Penn where he said he wanted to kick off the season with Vaccines, but Showtime decided that this would be the better choice. Oh well, let's get it over with. And boobies.
Vaccines may be the season finale. Since it looks like (to me) the best show of the season, it is probably good to finish strong. I can wait.
Old 06-10-10, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

that was actually quite a bit better than i thought it was going to be. the best part wasn't even related to the episode (acronym/initialism).
Old 06-11-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Yeah, that was a surprisingly good episode.

$10k - $15K / year? That's quite the racket Varsity has going.
Old 06-11-10, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

For a 'soft' subject, that was a very good episode. I knew that injuries were a big problem with cheerleading, but I was never aware of the importance of it being classified a sport or not, and the juggernaut that is Varsity. I wasn't shocked when I learned that Title IX and feminism was a big reason behind it not being classified a sport.

They should do an episode on Title IX itself. Plenty of bullshit there.
Old 06-11-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. Much better than I expected.
Old 06-12-10, 01:14 AM
Suspended

I think it turned out to be a pretty bad episode. They kept trying to blame Title IX for all the injuries, but they never really connected up how Title IX led to cheerleading not being a sport led to injuries. Plus, they pretty much say that Varsity is responsible for cheerleading not being a sport, then go right back to the Title IX bashing.

That said: Topless cheerleaders
Old 06-12-10, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm shocked you didn't like it, since it bashed Title IX.
Old 06-12-10, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm shocked you didn't like it, since it bashed Title IX.
I don't mind bashing of Title IX (or any other law or regulation) if it makes sense, but this didn't make sense. They just didn't do a good job connecting Title IX to the injuries, particularly in light of the role of the Varsity Company.

Separate from that, if you want to condemn Title IX, it's not enough to simply point out a bad consequence of Title IX -- you also have to demonstrate that the bad consequences outweigh the good consequences. They didn't even try to do that (to be fair, this episode was "Cheerleading is Bullshit!" not "Title IX is Bullshit!").
Old 06-13-10, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

They completely neglected that if cheerleading is classified as sport that would shift the men/women numbers balance required by Title IX, and is probably the biggest reason the feminists oppose it.
Old 06-13-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think Title IX requires there be gender balance in how many of each gender participate. I believe requires equal funding if there is sufficient interest.

Title IX would not require schools to force boys to participate and form cheerleading squads.
Old 06-13-10, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sherm42

Title IX would not require schools to force boys to participate and form cheerleading squads.
No, but it would count against the girls total, whereas now it does not. I attended a major university that dropped baseball after well over a century of fielding a team mainly due the need to meet Title IX. They did not to have the money to add women's softball to offset, so they were forced to drop baseball.
Old 06-13-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

That may be true, but I gotta say it: so what.

Maybe its just because I don't really care for sports overall, but I don't see why one sport deserves any higher priority or praise than any other sport, even if it has been around a century. Personally, I'd rather watch cheerleading than football any fricken day.
Old 06-14-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My university dropped football for the same reason. There wasn't enough money to fund a counterpart women's sport.
Old 06-14-10, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by XavierMike
My university dropped football for the same reason. There wasn't enough money to fund a counterpart women's sport.
There are many examples of this. I just find it unusual that the show didn't explore this well known consequence of Title IX as well, especially since they walked all around it. It is another glaring example of the unintended consequences of feel good legislation. And it is in my opinion the main reason Title IX supporters oppose classifying cheerleading as a sport. Title IX coerces schools into creating and funding unwanted womens sports or face the prospect of cancelling existing men's sports, a position which cheerleading as a sport would weaken.
Old 06-15-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
I don't think Title IX requires there be gender balance in how many of each gender participate. I believe requires equal funding if there is sufficient interest.

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but by University had to drop men's swimming and added women's soccer and softball to comply with Title IV. For reference, there were a women's swimming and men's baseball team prior to the change, but no men's soccer. I always figured the biggest problem was football, which skewed the numbers towards men (other than football, the only sports played were men and women's basketball, men and women's track/cross-country, men and women's tennis, and women's volleyball). I connected the dots in this episode as others have stated, which is to mean if cheerleading is a sport, then the numbers balance out.

Also, if Title IX doesn't classify it as a sport, then High Schools won't classify it as one either.
Old 06-15-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If gymnastics counts as a sport under title IX (and it does), I don't see why competitive cheerleader should not.
Old 06-16-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
There are many examples of this. I just find it unusual that the show didn't explore this well known consequence of Title IX as well, especially since they walked all around it. It is another glaring example of the unintended consequences of feel good legislation. And it is in my opinion the main reason Title IX supporters oppose classifying cheerleading as a sport. Title IX coerces schools into creating and funding unwanted womens sports or face the prospect of cancelling existing men's sports, a position which cheerleading as a sport would weaken.
Like I said before - I hope they do a Title IX episode. Maybe they are thinking about doing one in a future season and why they didn't go too deep into it.

As for your theory, are you saying that Title IX supporters would be opposed to making this a sport because it would eliminate some men's sports (which I agree is what would happen)? That would seem to be the last thing such people care about since they certainly haven't cared about that before.
Old 06-16-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
As for your theory, are you saying that Title IX supporters would be opposed to making this a sport because it would eliminate some men's sports (which I agree is what would happen)? That would seem to be the last thing such people care about since they certainly haven't cared about that before.
They (Title IX supporters) oppose cheerleading as a sport to further coerce institutions to create more women's sports to be able to keep from cancelling men's sports. But often the latter is exactly what happens, and I totally agree that there is no doubt that this does not bother them one iota. I have seen it first hand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.