Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cyrus (John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill) Are we a over-saturation yet with Jonah Hill?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cyrus (John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill) Are we a over-saturation yet with Jonah Hill?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cyrus' trailer: John C. Reilly vs. Jonah Hill
by Mandi Bierly
Categories: Movie Trailers, Movies
Is it wrong that I found myself hoping that Cyrus, the “brutally honest comedy” and Sundance entry about a divorcé named John (John C. Reilly) starting a relationship with a woman (Marisa Tomei) whose son, Cyrus (Jonah Hill), creeps him out, turned into a horror film? Hill can look pretty unnerving when he wants to.

With lines like this one from Jonah — “The light is hitting your hair in this great way. It’s like a crippled tree reaching for heaven” — I’m thinking the laughs will be too plentiful for it to be scary. And that Cyrus will be darker/funnier than Step Brothers.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbdNSCQ-qHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mbdNSCQ-qHI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 06-09-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Cyrus (John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill) Are we a over-saturation yet with Jonah Hill?

1.) Hill looks like he's put on about 20 lbs since "Get Him to the Greek"
2.) Hill has never been funny. Never.
3.) Does Tomei being attracted to a guy who looks like Reilly remind anyone of that Seinfeld episode with George and Tomei?
Old 06-09-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: Cyrus (John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill) Are we a over-saturation yet with Jonah Hill?

You Jonah Hill Haters can SUCK IT.

This looks pretty funny.
Old 06-09-10, 05:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It could be good, or it could be "feel good," which is rarely good.
Old 06-09-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I like Jonah Hill, he does his two modes (sensitive and loud/brash) well enough.

Movie looks funny.
Old 06-09-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The movie looks pretty good to me, great cast!

I haven't seen the Duplass brothers' other films, but I like Mark Duplass on FX's The League. I'll check this out.
Old 06-09-10, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind Jonah Hill but I love John C. Reilly and think that Marisa Tomei and Catherine Keener are great so I will probably see this.
Old 06-09-10, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this last night. It's not funny like Step Brothers, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any humor. The movie is just very realistic, meaning that there aren't any crazy situations: i.e. they do not find more room "for activities" etc.

Marisa Tomei is hot, both actors are funny (and never over the top), and the movie is not feel-good. In fact, the ending is

Spoiler:
positive, but mostly ambiguous.

The crowd I saw it with seemed to like it.

John C. Reilly was at the Q&A afterward and explained that although a script was written, 90% of the movie was improvised, with the Duplas brothers refusing to give details into how the characters would act and demanding (most times) to use the first take. Since the movie was shot sequentially, the characters getting to know each other seems like a natural process.

Recommended, but this is NOT a pure comedy. (Nor is it a romance movie either).
Old 07-02-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it and it was alright but nothing special. The acting was good all around and I appreciate that the film didn't go over the top or try to get cheap laughs. I just wish there was more to the story. Very little happens in the film. If you've seen the trailer, you know about 90% of the plot. The ending just came on a little too quickly for me. I liked the characters but I really wanted to know more about them. The film just kinda keeps you at arms length with the characters other than John C. Reily. Decent movie but just kinda flat.
Old 07-17-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I really enjoyed this, especially after John and Cyrus push aside the awkward politeness and go to battle. It was the epitome of a dramedy...perfectly balanced between the two genres.
Old 07-17-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this last night. It's not funny like Step Brothers, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any humor. The movie is just very realistic, meaning that there aren't any crazy situations: i.e. they do not find more room "for activities" etc.

Marisa Tomei is hot, both actors are funny (and never over the top), and the movie is not feel-good. In fact, the ending is

Spoiler:
positive, but mostly ambiguous.

The crowd I saw it with seemed to like it.

John C. Reilly was at the Q&A afterward and explained that although a script was written, 90% of the movie was improvised, with the Duplas brothers refusing to give details into how the characters would act and demanding (most times) to use the first take. Since the movie was shot sequentially, the characters getting to know each other seems like a natural process.

Recommended, but this is NOT a pure comedy. (Nor is it a romance movie either).
Spoiler:
I think the ending was pretty feel-good. Cyrus realized what he did was wrong and wanted to make amends with John C Reilly. Reilly then showed he was willing to give Cyrus another chance. I think it is a given Reilly and Tomei were getting back together and Cyrus was going to quit being a jerk.
Old 12-06-10, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I think I may have hated this movie.

It isn't funny save for a few spots early on, the script is weak, the characters are uninteresting, and the conflict comes across as forced. And on top of that, it's just flatout boring.