Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
The Good Guys -- Timeslot Premiere -- "Bait and Switch" -- 06/07/10

The Good Guys

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
While investigating a vandalism case, Jack and Dan discover a pattern of stolen vintage cars around the city. Unable to set up a sting operation using a department "bait car," Jack and Dan must go on their own to pursue the elusive car thieves.

Episode 2 of 20

FOX has been promoting this as the "Series Premiere", but it's actually the 2nd episode. I don't get the whole "Special Series Preview" nonsense when the Pilot 1st aired a few weeks ago.

Anyways, I finally watched the Pilot tonight and while I thought it was watchable, it wasn't as kickass and awesome as I hoped it would be.

1. Bradley Whitford and Colin Hanks really have no chemistry as partners. I know they are supposed to be total opposites, but IMO they don't play off each other well...yet.
2. The writing by Matt Nix in the Pilot wasn't as sharp as his writing on Burn Notice. I thought alot of the jokes/humor were really forced and it was almost like they expected you to laugh your ass off at a certain scene.

The action scenes in the Pilot were done well and I like the idea of the show being a take on the cheesy buddy cop genre from the 80's. I'm hoping after a few weeks it will find it's footing. Hell, it's got 20 episodes (If it makes it that far)
Old 06-07-10, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Good Guys -- Timeslot Premiere -- "Bait and Switch" -- 06/07/10

Bradley Whitford's character is too cartoonish. Usually that's a pilot problem and once the viewers get to know his character, he should be more real. Colin Hanks does not seem to be lead material and his screen presence is weak.

Honestly, I couldn't make it through the pilot. I might give this episode a try, but I don't like Burn Notice. I don't have a lot of hope for this show.
Old 06-07-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I noticed in the Pilot's opening credits that Bradley Whitford is credited as a "Producer" on this show. Since he's the biggest name on this, I'm assuming that was part of his deal to get him on the show. He gets his actor fee and a Producer fee.
Old 06-07-10, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dug the show and thought it was fun enough. Ill keep watching!
Old 06-07-10, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely groan inducing.

Oh well.
Old 06-08-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

FOX has decided to once again screw with the order of their shows. This was the 6th episode of the series produced, and the next two weeks will see episodes 4 and 5.

That being said, I love this show. It hits all the right marks for me. Loved Whitford's inability to handle a computer, and the dialogue between the truckers was great. Can't wait for the next episode.

Last edited by TheKing; 06-08-10 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-08-10, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I love this show. Whitford's character is so over the top I cant stop laughing.
Old 06-08-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
FOX has decided to once again screw with the order of their shows. This was the 6th episode of the series produced, and the next two weeks will see episodes 4 and 5.
It was plenty obvious that they had too. There were several items that had radically progressed since the pilot episode. Why the hell do they think that shifting the order of the episodes ever makes sense? It didn't work for Undeclared or Firefly or any of a dozen shows they've done it with. If they have such little confidence in a series, why not just air it in order and let it fail? The episode juggling has never to my knowledge worked to a show's advantage.
Old 06-08-10, 09:15 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I wanted to like this show, but just couldn't get into it. I don't think I'll continue.
Old 06-08-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

I like it, particularly as a summer show....it's mindless fun.

at the rednecks' discussion of stealing and chopping up American cars.
Old 06-08-10, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I like it, particularly as a summer show....it's mindless fun.

at the rednecks' discussion of stealing and chopping up American cars.
OMG, you actually watched a FOX show!!

Last edited by DJariya; 06-08-10 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Very cartoonish show, best way to describe is "amusing". May save rest of the shows for later this summer.
Old 06-09-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rfduncan
It was plenty obvious that they had too. There were several items that had radically progressed since the pilot episode. Why the hell do they think that shifting the order of the episodes ever makes sense? It didn't work for Undeclared or Firefly or any of a dozen shows they've done it with. If they have such little confidence in a series, why not just air it in order and let it fail? The episode juggling has never to my knowledge worked to a show's advantage.
I think the main reason FOX does it is to put what they feel are the strongest episodes on early. Since this show isn't serialized all that much they can get away with it. Same thing they did with Human Target. SyFy did it with the first season of Eureka (which forced them to do some extra editing to episodes to fit continuity), and of course the original Star Trek was all over the map in terms of production order.

I don't have a huge problem with it, I just wish they'd restore the proper order on DVD/Blu release. I really hate it when broadcast order trumps intended order.
Old 06-09-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

So I watched this last night and I guess I was in a better mood, because I thought this episode was hilarious. Professor Slater from Community was a cool guest star and I liked how Dan kept giving Jack a hard time about her and when he kept calling "Kristen" Steve Valentine from Crossing Jordan was actually a pretty cool bad guy.

I thought the mini flashbacks to 34 hours earlier, 34 minutes earlier, 1 minute earlier were quite funny and added to each scene.

The final shootout/action scene with "Rock Your Like a Hurricane" in the backdrop was pretty badass. I was a little annoyed by how cartoonish Whitford was as Dan in the Pilot, but I actually grew to like him a little more as IMO he's more of a parody of a Cop/Action hero.

I have to agree about the episode out of order thing. In the Pilot Dan and Jack barely got to know Julius after his involvement with the drug money/golf clubs, but it seemed that they had a more established relationship with him in this episode.