Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flipped (Rob Reiner, 2010) - Coming of Age in the 60s

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob Reiner has definitely been hit or miss for the past decade and a half, but the trailer for this one has me kind of interested. If he can recapture 1/10th of the magic he bottled in Stand by Me, count me in.

He's got a pretty good cast this time around. Aidan Quinn is often reliable, and it is nice to see Anothony Edwards and John Mahoney, too.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4q6FvXvdVyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4q6FvXvdVyg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Flipped imdb page

The release date is currently set for Friday August 6, 2010

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 09-11-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-06-10, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Flipped (Rob Reiner, 2010) - Coming of Age in the 60s

I'm more than interested. I'm convinced this might be the end of Reiner's rut of badness.

And if the film has all of the songs that are in the trailer, you can bet I'll be there on opening day. This looks like a winner! Not to mention that Reiner and his old cohert Andrew Scheinman are writing it.

It looks terrific!
Old 06-06-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the trailer, but the movie doesn't look interesting. If that makes any sense.
Old 06-07-10, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I saw Rob at Yardhouse at LA Live on thursday.
Old 09-10-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw this tonite, wonderful film! The storytelling mode, which flips back and forth between the two main character's take on the same events, is quite engaging and effective in telling the story. The lead actors did a wonderful job, there is nice chemistry between them. The audience I saw it with was quite pleased by the film, judging by their comments as they left the theater. Highly recommended to all ages. It has the same kind of feel as Stand By Me and The Princess Bride. If you loved those films, you'll love Flipped as well.
Old 09-11-10, 03:04 AM

Saw the film tonight as well and I agree that it was excellent. Since I read the young adult novel that the film was based on prior to seeing it, I have to say that it is one of the most faithful adaptations I've seen of a book's source material. The acting is terrific, the direction is splendid, and the structure is perfect. Unlike E. Honda though, I saw the film with only 5 other people so I have no idea what their reaction was.

However, if I have one complaint, it would have to Reiner's choice of music. It works well for the time period but what doesn't work is the use of stereo re-recordings, which take me out of the time period that the film is set in. Again, it's a minor complaint because the majority of the songs of the soundtrack are the originals but using re-recordings of songs like "Pretty Little Angel Eyes" and "One Fine Day" when the originals are on the soundtrack album really took me out of the movie's time period.

Other than this minor complaint, it's a splendid movie!
Old 09-11-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
I love the trailer, but the movie doesn't look interesting. If that makes any sense.
It makes perfect sense to me because I feel the same way.
Old 01-05-11, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

What an absolute wonderful surprise. Just a great lil gem of a movie. More people need to see this film.
Old 01-05-11, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by hdtv00
What an absolute wonderful surprise. Just a great lil gem of a movie. More people need to see this film.
Is it still in limited release? This is the first I've heard of this movie.
Old 01-05-11, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by tellybox
Is it still in limited release? This is the first I've heard of this movie.
It's been out on DVD for over a month now.

Although I had issues with a few things in the movie not being addressed or explained, I enjoyed it.
Old 01-05-11, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's available at Redbox right now. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-05-11, 12:14 PM

I'll have to check it out too. I think the last movie of his that I enjoyed was Ghosts of Mississippi.
Old 01-05-11, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not bad, a nice little movie. I thought Anthony Edwards was hamming it up a bit, but other than that I enjoyed it (although I could have done without Kevin Weissman's character).
Old 06-05-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

Finally watched this off my DVR. A sweet little story about young love. I liked it a lot, but there were a few things that made me cringe. First was the actor who played the retarded brother. I don't think he pulled that role off, at all (and I liked him in ALIAS). But that was a small part of the movie, so it's not too big of a deal. Second was the auction at the end--it just seemed like a really contrived plot device, and kind of out of place in the setting. Anthony Edwards, as mentioned above, was a little over-the-top too.

What I liked:
The period setting (early 60s?) - apparently the book the film is based on was set in more modern times. I think setting the story in a different era was a good choice for the film.
The alternating POV on each event - really showed how the same actions could be viewed totally differently depending on the context.
The list of adult castmembers is impressive with Aidan Quinn, Penelope Ann Miller, Rebecca DeMornay, and Anthony Edwards as the parents. But John Mahoney as the grandfather really shines. No surprise there--he's always terrific.
The young lead actress, Madeline Carroll, was really great. She really inhabited the role and made you want everything to work out for her. She's easily the best part of the film.
Old 06-05-12, 07:11 PM
Cool New Member

Saw this on netflix a while back cause I hadn't watched anything by Rob Reiner in a while. Felt like some low budget movie written by a 12 year old (and I honestly don't really complain about writing all that often). Pretty cliched all around and pretty wooden acting by majority of the cast (even the good ones). Definitely expected more from Reiner.
Old 01-04-13, 09:04 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

My friends came back from a cruise recently and were saying how the continuously were playing The Magic of Belle Isle (which I hadn't heard of). It sparked a convo on Reiner movies and when the last good one was (it has been a while). To my surprise there were 2 movies, Belle Isle and this, to have come out since The Bucket List.

Flipped was a great movie. I really loved it. The cast was great. The girl in the movie was very beautiful and I can see her doing great things in the future. This was a real nice surprise.