Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Ship Out an Old Game System?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm trying to sell my old game systems (Dreamcast, XBOX, etc.) and I'm looking for the best way to ship it. Mainly the best service to use. Seems like USPS Parcel Post is pretty damn expensive, but I don't think they will fit in a Priority Flat Rate box either (especially the XBOX) so what would be the best and cheapest way to ship it?
Old 06-03-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Best Way to Ship Out an Old Game System?

Craigslist cash/pickup?
Old 06-03-10, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are like 5 different types of Flat Rate Priority boxes. I think that the medium square one or the large square one would fit a game system.
Old 06-03-10, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Since you're in Chicago, you may want to check out People Play Games on Clark and School. They sell old systems and games, and therefore (I assume) buy them as well. You can unload them all at once and not have to deal with eBay, shipping, etc. Of course, the downside is you probably won't get as high a price as you might otherwise.
Old 06-03-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I had to ship something out, FedEx Ground had the cheapest rates. USPS charges extra for package tracking so you need to factor that in.
Old 06-03-10, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Last time I had to ship something out, FedEx Ground had the cheapest rates. USPS charges extra for package tracking so you need to factor that in.
If I were to ship it through FedEx would I just go in there with the item and package it up there? I never quite understood how to do FedEx or UPS
Old 06-03-10, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
If I were to ship it through FedEx would I just go in there with the item and package it up there? I never quite understood how to do FedEx or UPS
If you don't already have shipping & packing materials in the house, you could have them take care of everything for you for a fee. I just packaged my stuff up myself using used shipping boxes I had lying around the house. I took it to the FedEx Office, gave them the shipping info, and they printed up the shipping label. IIRC, their shipping charges include insurance for up to $100, if you need more, that's extra cost.
Old 06-03-10, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Since you're in Chicago, you may want to check out People Play Games on Clark and School. They sell old systems and games, and therefore (I assume) buy them as well. You can unload them all at once and not have to deal with eBay, shipping, etc. Of course, the downside is you probably won't get as high a price as you might otherwise.
i need to check this place out....
Old 06-03-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Box the stuff up yourself if you're trying to save money. Then just take it to the post office/ups/fedex office. They will weigh the box and print a label for you.
Old 06-11-10, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
There are like 5 different types of Flat Rate Priority boxes. I think that the medium square one or the large square one would fit a game system.
I ordered 10 of the biggest boxes of the Flat Rate Priority boxes and they are big but the original XBOX does not fit in it. The system is too wide to fit in the box.
Old 06-11-10, 10:43 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vballboy51
i need to check this place out....
It is one of the coolest stores I have ever been to. It's about 3 blocks south of Wrigley Field, part of the Clark and Belmont corridor. Anyone who is into video games and finds themselves in that part of the world should definitely check it out.