Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

MW2 Resurgence MapPack: Anyone play it yet?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone play the new MapPack that came out today? I know it only came out for Xbox 360 so I'll have to wait, but just wondering if it's any good.
Old 06-07-10, 03:07 PM

Re: MW2 Resurgence MapPack: Anyone play it yet?

I'm really hoping that a lot of people don't buy it. I think $15 for a map pack is terrible DLC pricing and Actizard should be punished financially by a consumer-base that refuses to buy it.

But, of course, all that will happen is I'll spend my time yelling at any ads for it I see on Xbox Live like an old man yelling at kids on skateboards in his street.
Old 06-07-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"You punks better get off my DLC!!!!"
Old 06-08-10, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

They made 40 million from the first map pack. I expect this to sell even more.
Old 06-08-10, 04:36 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I love the Trailer Park. Carnival is pretty good. Not crazy about Fuel. And the two regurgitated maps were my least favorites from COD4.

So like everyone else, I think it's overpriced and I hate that they make you play random game modes. But I still bought it and I'm sure I'll get $15 worth of playtime out of it.
Old 06-08-10, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to buy all the DLC for Modern Warfare 2, and then I'm just not going to buy their next game.
Old 06-08-10, 08:59 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by John Slider
I'm going to buy all the DLC for Modern Warfare 2, and then I'm just not going to buy their next game.
liar.
Old 06-08-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by John Slider
Agreed. Especially if they really are planning on charging for Multiplayer for Black Ops as has been rumored.
Old 06-08-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love the maps except for Vacant...what a terrible choice for a game that already is a noob tube spam fest.
Old 06-08-10, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
Agreed. Especially if they really are planning on charging for Multiplayer for Black Ops as has been rumored.
I had not heard this rumor. What is it? Charging EXTRA above what we already pay for our Gold membership? Uhhhh......I'd truly hate to see that start...
Old 06-08-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I picked it up. I actually never bought the game, someone gave it to me, so I bought both map packs and consider myself even.

I can't say I'm happy about the purchase.

I absolutely fucking HATE Fuel. It's way too big for a normal Team Deathmatch.

Carnival is a fun design, but there are just SOOOO many camping spots it's almost unbearable.

Vacant - I know it's a shotgun, noobtube fest, but I find it fun and fast paced.

Trailer Park - Same as vacant plus carnival. I find it fun though. I like the faster paced boards I guess versus the huge boards.

Strike - Also, seems too big for Team Deathmatch 6 on 6. Not as bad as Fuel, but I would skip it everytime if I could.

I only bought this Map Pack because all my friends did, and I prefer to play with friends, but honestly it is a complete fucking ripoff, and I will never do it again.
Old 06-08-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

If they start charging extra on top of Live, fuck it. I will not pay for it. I'm probably not going to buy the game anyway since I'm getting annoyed with Activision.
Old 06-08-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by uteotw
I had not heard this rumor. What is it? Charging EXTRA above what we already pay for our Gold membership? Uhhhh......I'd truly hate to see that start...

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242716
Old 06-09-10, 02:02 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by cruzness
I think you're reading too much into their comments. They're not talking about charging for regular online multiplayer. This is in regards to "additional services and content".

Lots of people have been begging for Halo-like features with movie making/sharing and map editors. I have no problem with them charging extra for stuff like that.

Activision Hints at Call of Duty Online Plans
Gamers demanding additional services and innovations, publisher says.

The online business models for many of Activision's key franchises could start to change in the near future.

During today's BMO Capital Markets Conference, CFO of Activision Blizzard Thomas Tippl was asked if the successful World of Warcraft online business model will ever translate into the publisher's other major franchises, such as Guitar Hero and Call of Duty. While Tippl said WoW's model is difficult to replicate, players should expect new monetization models for its other titles soon enough.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."

"We have great experience also on Call of Duty with the success we had on Xbox Live and PlayStation Network. A lot of that knowledge is getting actually built into the Battle.Net platform and the design of that," he added. "I think it's been mutually beneficial, and you should expect us to test and ultimately launch additional online monetization models of some of some of our biggest franchises like Call of Duty."

Tippl added there is a demand from its core fanbase willing to pay for additional services and content.

"Our gamers are telling us there's lots of services and innovation they would like to see that they're not getting yet. From what we see so far, additional content, as well as all the services Blizzard is offering, is that there is demand from the core gamers to pay up for that," Tipple explained.

A supposed leaked online survey from June possibly hints at what Tippl is driving at. The survey centered around the idea of a monthly service that gives subscribers additional multiplayer and gameplay enhancements for future Call of Duty titles.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1044965p1.html
Is Activision Creating An Online Call Of Duty Service?
Rumored survey mentions exclusive content coming to online multiplayer space.

Gaming blog Destructoid received what is believed to be marketing survey hinting at Activision's possible upcoming online plans for the Call of Duty series.

The survey focuses mainly on the online space; specifically a new service where players would pay a monthly fee (much like a MMO game) that will "enhance the multiplayer experience and provide exclusive access to a group of gameplay enhancements."

Other features mentioned are access to early betas and expansions, character skins, enhanced stat-tracking, game modes, and "support for competitive play."

Keep in mind none of this information is even remotely official and may in fact never come to fruition, so don't get angry just yet.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/994/994323p1.html
Old 06-09-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
I think you're reading too much into their comments. They're not talking about charging for regular online multiplayer. This is in regards to "additional services and content".

Lots of people have been begging for Halo-like features with movie making/sharing and map editors. I have no problem with them charging extra for stuff like that.
Point taken but there is no doubt that they are seriously thinking about it.

"It's definitely an aspiration that we see potential in, particularly as we look at different business models to monetize the online gameplay," said Tippl. "There's good knowledge exchange happening between the Blizzard folks and our online guys."
It could mean a whole range of possibilities as far as what they could charge for. But I don't want to change the subject of this thread. it is definitely a subject for another thread.