Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dick Tracy(1990) - Special Edition?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick Tracy(1990) - Special Edition?

Is there a special edition of 1990's Dick Tracy?. I heard some talk about a "Vista Series" edition and then nothing. There were rumblings that Warren Beatty and Disney got into legal issues. Anyone know anything about this title?.
Old 05-27-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dick Tracy(1990) - Special Edition?

Nope, the 2002 release is the best one out there...and yes, I believe legal issues were to blame.
Nothing in the way of extras, but it's got great A/V quality.
Old 05-27-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This and The Rocketeer needs a proper release...!!!

I take Disney is the worst studio to upgrade their film library. Once a title is out that´s it. We´ll never see any upgrades of older movies. What a shame.

Last edited by Dane; 05-27-10 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-27-10, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Nope, the 2002 release is the best one out there...and yes, I believe legal issues were to blame.
Nothing in the way of extras, but it's got great A/V quality.
Okay. Thanks!.
Old 05-27-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane
This and The Rocketeer needs a proper release...!!!

I take Disney is the worst studio to upgrade their film library. Once a title is out that´s it. We´ll never see any upgrades of older movies. What a shame.
The Rocketeer could get a re-release when Captain America comes out next year. Same director.

At least that's what I'm hoping!
Old 05-27-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The Rocketeer could get a re-release when Captain America comes out next year. Same director.

At least that's what I'm hoping!
I'm not sure that would be the case. If so, we would have seen it when The Wolfman was released.

Although, since these are both superhero tales set around the time of Nazi Germany, it's not out of the question. I just find it unlikely. It's a shame, since I'd love a SE (or Blu-Ray, nowadays) for The Rocketeer, and Dick Tracy, too, to bring this back on topic.
Old 05-27-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dane

That's not true at all, Disney has had PLENTY of double dips:
Snow White, Dumbo, Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Aristocats, Winnie The Pooh, The Fox And The Hound, Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, Toy Story (1 & 2), A Bug's Life, Mary Poppins, 101/102 Dalmatians (live action), etc. etc. etc.........
Old 05-27-10, 08:55 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They rerelease their hits. But let the rest of the catalogue rot. Dick Tracy and Rocketeer weren't hits.
Old 05-27-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel

That's not true at all, Disney has had PLENTY of double dips:
Snow White, Dumbo, Alice In Wonderland, Peter Pan, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Aristocats, Winnie The Pooh, The Fox And The Hound, Mulan, Tarzan, Lilo & Stitch, Toy Story (1 & 2), A Bug's Life, Mary Poppins, 101/102 Dalmatians (live action), etc. etc. etc.........
You just named off films under the actual Disney banner. Movies by Touchstone and such get the shaft. One that was long overdue was Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

The days of double dipping for movies like this are pretty non-existent.
Old 05-28-10, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes i know.

because if you actually live on planet earth and i'm sure most of you here in this message board don't then this is what gonna happen:

Warren Beatty and Disney resolve all the legal issues then there's going to be a Dick Tracy reboot directed by Michael Bay starring Lady Gaga then they are gonna release a SE of the 1990 Dick Tracy on Blu a long with DVD+digital copy with lenticular slipcover then they are gonna reissue all the Dick Tracy series boxsets then they are gonna make a spin off TV series starring The Jonas Brothers...etc
Old 05-28-10, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
You just named off films under the actual Disney banner. Movies by Touchstone and such get the shaft. One that was long overdue was Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

The days of double dipping for movies like this are pretty non-existent.
Absolutely true. I could name a bunch of Disney-owned properties not released under the actual Disney label that languish on non-anamorphic DVDs in my collection and others' collections as well. These will probably never be released on DVD again. Of course, I would not mind a BD release of such titles, which would certainly be friendly to 16X9 screens, but that seems even less likely right now.
Old 05-28-10, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Although, since these are both superhero tales set around the time of Nazi Germany, it's not out of the question. I just find it unlikely. It's a shame, since I'd love a SE (or Blu-Ray, nowadays) for The Rocketeer, and Dick Tracy, too, to bring this back on topic.
This is the exact reason why I'm hopeful we'll see something around the time Captain America is released in theaters or later when it's released on home video.
Old 05-28-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mcfly
Oh good grief, there have been plenty of double dips in the past for live action Disney owned (Touchstone/Miramax/Buena Vista) titles as well:
Pretty Woman, Sling Blade, Tombstone, The Sixth Sense, 10 Things I Hate About You, Air Bud, Nixon, Con Air, Enemy Of The State, Coyote Ugly, The Santa Clause, Bad Santa, Clerks, Pearl Harbor, Gone In 60 Seconds, Beaches, Splash, Remember The Titans, Dead Poets Society, Good Morning Vietnam, Father Of The Bride, Sin City, Don't Be A Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice In The Hood, Scream 2, The Crow, The Parent Trap, Ransom, Reindeer Games, etc etc etc....

I'm sure EVERY studio has a certain title somebody wishes would be reissued, hell, Fox has never double dipped and provided us with an anamorphic SE of TRUE LIES, and that's from James Cameron starring Arnold, a title you know would sell WAY better than most....
Old 06-02-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by g
They rerelease their hits. But let the rest of the catalogue rot. Dick Tracy and Rocketeer weren't hits.
Actually, Tracy made over $100 million in the summer of 1990 when making that much did make you a hit. It didn't live up to expectations, but was not a flop by any means. Rocketeer on the other hand was a disappointment that was supposed to launch a franchise. Critics liked it, but it came out in the summer of 1991 when just about everything was driven by star power.

I recall that Beatty planned on making the Vista Series release more of a Director's Cut with a PG-13 rating and re-edited to seem more like The Untouchables than a cartoon.
Old 06-02-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It´s very catoon-ish... so yes, albeit it depends ones taste. Personally, I enjoyed it very much, although the story is slow by todays standard.
Old 06-02-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
Although, since these are both superhero tales set around the time of Nazi Germany, it's not out of the question.
Not to mention that Disney (owners of The Rocketeer) bought Marvel (the studio producing the Captain America movie). I don't think there was any chance it'd have been tied into The Wolfman because the audience for that movie probably isn't going to care about The Rocketeer or make the connection between the two movies.
Old 06-05-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Actually, Tracy made over $100 million in the summer of 1990 when making that much did make you a hit. It didn't live up to expectations, but was not a flop by any means.
According to Box Office Mojo, it grossed $103.7 million, which ranked 9th for 1990. There were some all-time hits that year - Home Alone, Ghost, Dances with Wolves and Pretty Woman were the top four. It was also nominated for seven Academy Awards, winning three. I'd personally love a Blu-ray disc - I'm sure the colors would look amazing.
Old 06-13-10, 08:33 PM

I've been waiting for Dick Tracy, not to mention The Rocketeer, for sometime. Here's hoping that they get a proper release soon. If it takes the release of Captain America to theatres to get them released, the sooner the better.

Scott
Old 06-14-10, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Come someone comment on the quality of the movie? Does it still hold up after all these years?
The production design remains stunning. They were doing the "looks like a comic book" thing without CGI, 15 years before Sin City.

For example, all the sets, props and costumes are limited to seven colors, with no variation in hue.

They also purposely limited camera movement, so there are a lot of static shots, forced perspective and creative use of light and shadow.

It's all to make it look like a cartoon strip come to life

From a filmmaking point of view, it's a really fascinating movie to watch.

Last edited by terrible chong; 06-14-10 at 01:52 AM.
Old 06-17-10, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I finally saw this on a big screen last year and was completely in love with it. We didn't have a theater in town in 1990, and for one reason or another I never managed to get my mom to take me to Louisville to see it during its theatrical run. Maybe because she hated Batman and felt she'd done her annual suck-it-up duty taking my brother and me to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In any event, I thought the 35mm print held up very well, as did the actual story.

Yes, a lot of major characters are reduced to cameos, disappointing long-time fans. And it's always easy to make jokes about Madonna, but you know what? I thought she was perfect as Breathless Mahoney. She sounded great on the Sondheim songs, and really vamped up the acting for the character...which actually fit Gould's creation.

And I live for the day that Beatty's once-planned VISTA series content sees the light of day. Hell, I was excited when I came across a CD single of Madonna's "Hanky Panky" at Half Price Books several months ago. (You're damn right I bought it!)
Old 06-18-10, 02:50 AM
Cool New Member

It would be incredible for a new release but it's disney.. don't hold your breath.. they very rarely open their vaults for movies instead of double dipping their animation department releases.
Old 06-18-10, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Hell, I was excited when I came across a CD single of Madonna's "Hanky Panky" at Half Price Books several months ago. (You're damn right I bought it!)
Funny, I just came across this CD at a thrift shop and bought it for only $1.
Old 06-22-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Slate.com has an article up about the movie, its release, and its forgotten nature.

http://www.slate.com/id/2255746

They reference some line from Madonna about peach ice cream that I don't recall. Anyone want to refresh the memory about that?
Old 06-22-10, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
They reference some line from Madonna about peach ice cream that I don't recall. Anyone want to refresh the memory about that?
I was inspired by this thread to put it on!

Dick Tracy (thinking it's Tess Trueheart at the door): What kind of ice cream did you get?

Breathless Mahoney: Fresh peach... Better eat it right away, it's starting to run a little.
I agree that Madonna was perfect for that role. Probably the only time I've ever enjoyed seeing her in a movie.
Old 06-23-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by terrible chong

I agree that Madonna was perfect for that role. Probably the only time I've ever enjoyed seeing her in a movie.

I just now remembered the peach line and did not know what it meant at the time I originally viewed the movie. While I didn't think much of her performance at the time as much as her body, I will say that having seen some film noir in years since she really had the whole gangster moll character down. Probably her best performance (thought that's not saying much).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.