Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does Subwoofers really help with music?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does Subwoofers really help with music?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-00, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone
I have a pair of klipsch ksb 1.1. I listen to a lot of instrumental musics like dance and acid jazz . i mainly use my system for music. so the addition of a sub would be mainly for musical tastes. i do love to "feel" the bass rather than hearing it. but then again i heard that subs are really only essential for HT purposes. I am also thinking to get a klipsch 10" sub too. anyone has any other recommendations?
Old 08-12-00, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think it's hurts, so why not add a subwoofer into your setup?

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 08-12-00, 08:27 PM

ah never mind. i didnt even realize my NAD integrated amp doesnt have a sub-out. does anyone know any bass happy speakers??
Old 08-12-00, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you can still add a sub. a lot of subs out there have speaker level inputs. ie. you run the speaker wire from the pre-amp to the sub and the sub will have speaker outputs to run to your mains. HSU makes a great subwoofer.
Old 08-12-00, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use a sub on my 2 channel system and find it adds considerable weight and authority to most music. Besides using the speaker level inputs mentioned above, you can also use a splitter (monster cable makes a nice one) or high quality Y adapter to provide multiple line outs. An advantage of using the line out approach is that your power amp no longer needs to drive low bass.

On the downside, integrating a sub-woofer into a system to acheive seamless blend can be problematic.
Old 08-13-00, 12:07 AM

I think that a sub is as essential for music as it is for HT. Even if you have a high end setup, if the sub is integrated properly, it WILL add to the quality of the sound.

P.S. Certain types of music will produce lower frequencies than most DVDs. Make sure you get a decent sub that can get down there!
Old 08-13-00, 01:29 AM

If your main speakers have good bass response down to about 40 Hz then you really aren't missing much without a sub. Adding a sub will help improve the sound because the mains won't be straining to reproduce bass notes.

As far as which sub to get, it depends on your musical taste. Most music has very little content below 40 Hz, and 30 Hz is about as low as most instruments get. If you listen to organ music, rap/techno or other bass heavy music at loud volumes then you should get the loudest, lowest playing sub you can afford.
www.soundandvisionmag.com just did a review of five $500 subs, and www.hometheatermag.com did a similar comparison of under $1000 subs. Otherwise check out www.audioreview.com for ideas.
Old 08-13-00, 10:56 PM

If i run my speaker line to the sub. then i would be only using the NAD preamp function and would use the sub's own amp to amplify the music. wont that distort or reduce the sound quality? please correct me if i am wrong
Old 08-14-00, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

basara318, no matter how you connect the sub you will not use the sub's amp to drive your main speakers.
Old 08-14-00, 11:55 PM

Before my most recent purchase, upgrading my receiver to DD/DTS, the subwoofer without a doubt provided the most noticeable improvement of any component in my setup. GET IT!!!
Old 08-15-00, 12:05 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah... Well it's a tricky one. If you have a good sub it will definetely add an extra dimension to your music. With a cheapo sub you'll get some extra 'BOOM' for your bucks.

IMHO: I used to own a Yamaha sub and that piece of **** only made me feel like 'shut this thing off, because it sounds annoying. Now that I own a Rel (Stentor) the difference is night and day. Suddenly I really feel the bassdrum, hear things I haven't heard before and most of all experience things a lot more realistic. Not to mention the effect a sub has on movies...

Good luck and don't let yourself fool by specs (200Watt bla bla) but only by your ears.
Old 08-15-00, 03:26 PM

Of course they don't help with music. We all buy them instead of coffee tables.
Old 08-15-00, 03:26 PM

One more word of advice..... walkman players work better when you have batteries in them.
Old 08-16-00, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think a larger question might be, "Does music, whether vinyl or cd, sound good on a HT playback system. I am retiring my old and very capable system to the bedroom. I miss the smooth timbre of 20 year old equipment but I wouldn't mind a sub under the bed.

------------------
Throttle, more throttle.