Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

will we ever get a "Homeward Bound:the Incredible Journey"in widescreen?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-10, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watchin this on disney channel now, and its actually in HD, which is surprising since the current DVD is full screen, and Disney HD doesn't show many movies in HD.
Anyone else a fan of this movie and wouldn't mind a decent upgrade, with maybe some extras to
Old 05-19-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: will we ever get a "Homeward Bound:the Incredible Journey"in widescreen?

It might make it to Blu-Ray someday in OAR but very few films get re-released on DVD when a Widescreen or Anamorphic BR come out anymore. The Phantom is Non-Anamorphic on DVD but 16X9 on Blu, sucks for DVD owners and enthusist
Old 05-20-10, 12:44 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

It's in widescreen on iTunes
Old 05-20-10, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

And on laserdisc- 4x3 letterbox anyways. This was one of Di$ney's first DVD titles, formatted to fit your screen. I was sure then that the format would never take off....
Old 05-20-10, 07:50 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Just picked up the double feature with the sequel. Didn't even think to look to make sure they were widescreen.
Old 05-21-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to threadcrap and not that I didn't find Homeward Bound entertaining, but I'd much rather have a copy of the original Incredible Journey. Narrated by Rex Allen it's more believable (than talking animals), which I consider important since it's based on a true story.

It's a shame Disney has treated their classic live action titles so badly... like Greyfriar's Bobby, Big Red, Third Man on the Mountain, the Great Locomotive Chase and others.

And where's Light in the Forest and Tonka?
Old 05-21-10, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJE-187
It might make it to Blu-Ray someday in OAR but very few films get re-released on DVD when a Widescreen or Anamorphic BR come out anymore. The Phantom is Non-Anamorphic on DVD but 16X9 on Blu, sucks for DVD owners and enthusist
If Disney re-releases this on Blu-Ray you can count on it being a Blu-Ray/DVD combo.

Originally Posted by Jon2
Not to threadcrap and not that I didn't find Homeward Bound entertaining, but I'd much rather have a copy of the original Incredible Journey. Narrated by Rex Allen it's more believable (than talking animals), which I consider important since it's based on a true story.

It's a shame Disney has treated their classic live action titles so badly... like Greyfriar's Bobby, Big Red, Third Man on the Mountain, the Great Locomotive Chase and others.

And where's Light in the Forest and Tonka?
When I hear Wayne Goodwin on NPR I think he sounds a bit like Rex Allen.

Disney really needs to step it up for classic live action movies on Blu-Ray.

And I thought Homeward Bound was fantastic. I bought it on DVD early in the days of DVD so I never thought to check to see if was in full frame...I just assumed it was widescreen. I couldn't bring myself to watch it in full frame.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-21-10 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-22-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just picked up the double feature with the sequel. Didn't even think to look to make sure they were widescreen.
HB 1 - Foolscreen
HB 2 - Widescreen (don't know if anamorphic)
Old 05-22-10, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by b2net
HB 1 - Foolscreen
HB 2 - Widescreen (don't know if anamorphic)
Yeah, I looked at it just last night to verify, don't remember if the sequel was anamorphic but it doesn't matter, it's going back to the store.
Old 05-22-10, 04:45 PM

Yeah, I looked at it just last night to verify, don't remember if the sequel was anamorphic but it doesn't matter, it's going back to the store.
Yes, all this full screen Disney releases suck. When I was in London, I noticed many of the Disney family titles were in widescreen! Needless to say, I picked up a bunch of R2s such as the original "That Darn Cat," "Honey I Shrunk the Kids," "Herbie Goes to Monete Carlo" and "The Moon-Spinners," as well as a few titles not available here like "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing."

I did a comparison of the full screen US "Moon-Spinners" with the widescreen UK one. Forget about the aspect ratio, the picture of the UK version blew away the US one. I was surprised.
Old 05-22-10, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza
Yes, all this full screen Disney releases suck. When I was in London, I noticed many of the Disney family titles were in widescreen! Needless to say, I picked up a bunch of R2s such as the original "That Darn Cat," "Honey I Shrunk the Kids," "Herbie Goes to Monete Carlo" and "The Moon-Spinners," as well as a few titles not available here like "One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing."

I did a comparison of the full screen US "Moon-Spinners" with the widescreen UK one. Forget about the aspect ratio, the picture of the UK version blew away the US one. I was surprised.
Good call. I'm back to region free, and want to complete my Disney collection, will start checking the UK.
Old 05-22-10, 08:07 PM

I didn't realize they were in widescreen in R2. I knew some WB animated films were that way in R2 (I bought Pokemon the Movie 2000 and Powerpuff Girls Movie from Amazon UK to get them in WS, I want to get Pokemon 3 as well) I wonder if the Homeward Bound films are in WS as well. I know A Goofy Movie is too.
Old 05-23-10, 11:31 AM

Good call. I'm back to region free, and want to complete my Disney collection, will start checking the UK.
Just be sure to carefully check each title. Like I said, many are in widescreen but not all. I was thrilled to find the ones that I did.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I wonder if the Homeward Bound films are in WS as well.
Sadly, I don't think they are. I believe the remake is also OOP. The original, "The Incredible Journey," doesn't say if it's wide or not and I tried looking on both Amazon UK and HMV. It is cheap at £2.99.

Edit: Actually, now that I'm looking, a lot of the Disney's are at £2.99. Great deal!

One more edit: Here's a link for a page that lists some of the films that are in widescreen in other countries. Hope this helps:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/panandscan.html
It appears to be a bit incomplete.

The ones I have that are widescreen from the UK:
One of Our Dinosaurs is Missing
That Darn Cat (Hayley Mills)
The Moon-Spinners
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Honey, I Blew Up the Kid
Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo
Summer Magic
Those Calloways*
Hocus Pocus*

The last two titles(*) are also widescreen in the US (according to Amazon) but I had no way of knowing in London but bought them anyway just in case as they were only £3. I did know that "Freaky Friday" and "The Ugly Dachshund" were wide in the US and skipped those. I looked at a lot of titles when I was there last summer, so if Amazon UK or HMV doesn't list what their ratio is, I'd assume there full screen until another DVDtalker can verify otherwise, for example The Monkees states that "The Goofy Movie" is widescreen.

If anyone can shed more light, I'd like to know myself since I'm a big Disney fan.

Last edited by Pizza; 05-23-10 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 01:38 PM

One more edit: Here's a link for a page that lists some of the films that are in widescreen in other countries. Hope this helps:
http://www.ultimatedisney.com/panandscan.html
It appears to be a bit incomplete.
It also seems to be out of date, because Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island are now available in widescreen in the US. Thanks for the info though.
Old 05-23-10, 03:27 PM

I'd like to add something about Amazon.co.uk, the prices of a lot of the Disney movies are £2.99 as stated above by Pizza, but when you add them to the cart they drop in price even more. I noticed this when I just recently bought the whole series of Power Rangers: Dino Thunder from there. I put something that cost £5.99 in the cart and when I go to the check out screen it had dropped to £4.26 before shipping (it seems to do this on Amazon.de as well, not sure if it's all the Amazon sites or not).

They have the whole Honey, I Shrunk the Kids set for £5.99 and all the Mighty Ducks films for £6.99 and then they drop in price at the check out screen. Basically it's $10 for the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids films all in widescreen
Old 05-23-10, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I'd like to add something about Amazon.co.uk, the prices of a lot of the Disney movies are £2.99 as stated above by Pizza, but when you add them to the cart they drop in price even more.
When it is shipped by Amazon, they'll drop the VAT. When it's processed by a "Amazon's Preferred Merchant," then you pay the VAT.
Old 05-23-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get it as soon as I get my proper redone version of The Rocketeer.