Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shia trashes Indy IV

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shia trashes Indy IV

Old 05-16-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shia trashes Indy IV

This guy is on a roll. First Transformers II and now Indy IV.

http://www.studiobriefing.net/2010/0...-and-the-film/

SHIA LABEOUF FLAYS HIS INDY PERFORMANCE — AND THE FILM
May 16, 2010

Shia LaBeouf is no Indiana Jones. He said so himself in an interview with the Los Angeles Times at the Cannes Film Festival on Saturday. “I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished,” he said, referring to his performance in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He went on to amplify his self criticism, saying “The actor’s job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn’t do it. So that’s my fault. Simple.” He indicated that he and Harrison Ford were aware that the film wasn’t working while it was in production “We had major discussions. He wasn’t happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn’t universally accepted.” When the 23-year-old actor was asked whether he expected to be reprimanded by producer-director Steven Spielberg for his public criticism of the film, he replied, “I’ll probably get a call. But he needs to hear this. … He’s done so much great work that there’s no need for him to feel vulnerable about one film. But when you drop the ball you drop the ball.”
Will he ever get work in Hollywood again?
Old 05-16-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Shia trashes Indy IV

I really like Shia and think he is a pretty good actor. But, he has made some pretty poor choices for film roles if he is looking to be seen as a serious actor. Still, he was simply miscast in Indy IV. He is just not Indiana Jones's son. I'm not sure there was anything he could have done to make that role better. Plus, it was a poorly written film
Old 05-16-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Indy IV was utter crap. My hat's off to Shia. Well said young man.
Old 05-16-10, 04:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was about to come in and lambast him for attacking Spielberg, but he shouldered the responsibility. So I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 05-16-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shia wants to be loved so bad. He gets these huge opportunities but almost all of his movies are awful. Someone needs to dig up some pre-release quotes from him about those films. I bet they sing a very different song.
Old 05-16-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

at least someone is taking the heat for Indy IV for being such a fucking mess.
Old 05-16-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Don't know if the movie was bad, but it didn't look to good for the trailers. At least he's not blaming everyone else or saying, "who cares what you nerds think!? Get a girlfriend losers, I'm rich b-----!"

I think Harrison Ford was too old to do that movie. They waited too long.
Old 05-16-10, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wait til Indy V, and Indy IV, was well received, its has a 77% over at Rotten Tomatoes. Iron Man 2 has a 75%

Last edited by acdcrocks1980; 05-16-10 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

It didn't have a thing to do with him being too old, IMHO. It had everything to do with a horrible story and a cheap feel, where the whole movie seemed to take place in a studio lot against a green screen. No real tension, no good stunts, just blah....
Old 05-16-10, 05:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly, where were the grand location shots? The plot was fine but there was a lack of character development and some really stupid shit like monkey-swings, the fridge bit, and a 1 ton car being held up by a tree branch.
Old 05-16-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Indy IV was garbage. Shia's performance was the LEAST of the film's problems. In fact, I had no problems with it. The lousy script and questionable plot developments were another thing...
Old 05-16-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Agreed Hokeyboy.

Indy4 had a lot of problems, but Shia was NOT one of them. I say that as guy who didn't hate it as much as others here.

I get that many here simply don't like him, but that aside, Shia is a pretty likable guy in all his roles.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-16-10 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Didn't Shia trash Transformers 2 last week? Is this guy looking for a first class ticket out of Hollywood?

Originally Posted by Wolf359
and a cheap feel, where the whole movie seemed to take place in a studio lot against a green screen.
I liked Indy 4, including the goofy story, but I can't get past the plastic-y feel of the film. It's very distracting.
Old 05-16-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Indy IV was garbage. Shia's performance was the LEAST of the film's problems. In fact, I had no problems with it. The lousy script and questionable plot developments were another thing...
I agree.
Old 05-16-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George Lucas killed Indy.

It's his fault they went with that mess of a script with that lame-ass plot.
Old 05-16-10, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
George Lucas killed Indy.

It's his fault they went with that mess of a script with that lame-ass plot.
I thought the plot was great and having Indy deal with aliens was a no-brainer considering that it ties in with the Mayan ancient astronauts stuff.

My problem is that they didn't go anywhere with it; they should have had Cate Blanchett's character harness the power of the skull after the alien was resurrected and once it saw that she was using it for evil, it would then proceed to lay waste.

It was just full of devices that could have been used very effectively but were instead to move the plot from A to B without much exposition.
Old 05-16-10, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you see what I posted above?

Lucas' fault.
Old 05-16-10, 06:28 PM

No I did, I just think that Lucas failed and succeeded at the same time; the plot was a great one, not some lame-ass idea but that the script and execution failed spectacularly when you consider that the plot had been in development since the early 90's.

It was both Spielberg and Lucas who failed here; there were things that Spielberg could have added that wouldn't have been stepping on Lucas because it still would have been his story.
Old 05-16-10, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I read the Darabont script. In many ways it was identical, but it was just better. Particularly the character of Marion. If there was anything that might have saved the existing Indy IV, it would have been a little more of Darabont's Marion vs. Koepp's Marion.
Old 05-16-10, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Darabont's script was not particularly good, though. The whole opening sequence with the jet engines going off was especially bizarre and would have looked laughable on screen.
Old 05-16-10, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

1. Indy IV should never have been made.

2. The inclusion of Shia LaDouche was one, in a long string, of mistakes associated with this bad idea.

3. See point #1.
Old 05-16-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I generally enjoyed Indy IV, I do think that Harrison Ford was too old and, as a result, it wound up being a much different type of film than what made the series popular to begin with. In my opinion, if they really wanted to make more Indiana Jones, they should have structured it similar to the episode of "Young Indiana Jones" that Ford cameoed in and had Ford reminiscing and flashing back to a younger Indiana Jones (somewhere between Young Indy and Raiders) played by a new actor. That would be a good way to segue from one actor to the other. Although Ford is so heavily associated with the character that I'm not sure that any actor would be able to successfully be accepted in the role outside of him.
Old 05-16-10, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

"Indy IV" should have never happened. And even if it did, it was at least 10 years too long in the making. I think most went for nostaligic reasons. And while I would never say it was great or good, for some reason it was a guilty pleasure watching it finally coming together. Sure, I was hoping for something half way as good as "Crusade". But it wasn't. Still, I love Cate Blanchett and it was fun seeing Karen Allen again.
Old 05-16-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
While I generally enjoyed Indy IV, I do think that Harrison Ford was too old and, as a result, it wound up being a much different type of film than what made the series popular to begin with. In my opinion, if they really wanted to make more Indiana Jones, they should have structured it similar to the episode of "Young Indiana Jones" that Ford cameoed in and had Ford reminiscing and flashing back to a younger Indiana Jones (somewhere between Young Indy and Raiders) played by a new actor. That would be a good way to segue from one actor to the other. Although Ford is so heavily associated with the character that I'm not sure that any actor would be able to successfully be accepted in the role outside of him.
Ford did seem a bit old to play this character again. The movie should have been made at least 15 years earlier. It was also depressing with the references to the deceased characters (his father and his mentor at the university). It just wasn't the same Indy from the prior 3 films.

I think Indy could work if replaced with a new actor. The Indy movies were a throwback to the old serials of the 30's and 40's like Tarzan where the lead actor(s) were replaced after so many years. Also it;s been successful with the James Bond films. The teenaged Indy worked out ok, so I could see another actor take the adult Indy's place.
Old 05-16-10, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I liked Indy IV. At least it had a truer feel for the characters than Indy III.

My only gripe is how they mishandled Ray Winstone's character. There was no need for that final twist. Especially when they should have used him to clear Indy with the FBI instead.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-16-10 at 09:43 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.