Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

? About Star Trek TNG Complete Series Set Bonus DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? About Star Trek TNG Complete Series Set Bonus DVD

Recently, on Ebay, I came across a seller who was selling over 350 Star Trek dvds of the various season sets from TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, etc. These discs are advertised as legitimate and look it too, based on the artwork. Basically, it appears he broke up various season sets to sell the discs separately and in particular, the 20th Anniversary TNG complete series set from 2007. He had the 49th disc of the set, the 20th anniversary bonus features dvd exclusive to that set. Not having the Best Buy bonus dvds and the wanting to see the three new featurettes, I took a look. I asked questions and based upon his picture and claims of it being a real disc and not a bootleg, I bought it.

I got it today. For starters, it wouldn't play properly in my PS2 but did play on my computer and a Sony DVD player that I have. On the computer and the DVD player, I noticed that during the first feature(The Next Generation's Impact: 20 Years Later), that anytime they would show a clip from the series, it was pixelated and blurry. It didn't look professional but it would look fine when they cut back to the interview with Moore, Braga, etc.

On the computer, I looked at the dvd's menu to look at the files. It shows 17 video files created in September, 2009. I know it could be from later pressings, but this set came out in 2007. Also, around the spindle on the playing surface side, it says Star Trek Special Features D91 and Star Trek Special Features D92, instead of Region(0) or (1), etc. There is also small print that says "ifpi z568". The disc artwork looks legitimate, although the border at the edge of the artwork is not the same size all the way around. The gap is larger at the top of the picture.

Sorry for the long story, but did I buy a fake? Can anyone with this DVD check their's for comparison's sake? Thanks.
Old 05-14-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: ? About Star Trek TNG Complete Series Set Bonus DVD

Sounds like bootleg to me. Especally with the fact he's selling over 350 ST DVDs. Can you post a pic of the disc?
Old 05-15-10, 06:26 PM

Re: ? About Star Trek TNG Complete Series Set Bonus DVD

I don't have a digital camera to post a picture but it looks just like the real thing that you'll find on the dvd review sites. I'm just wondering if the imprinted words around the spindle are identical to others.

Is it possible for someone to print an exact copy of a dvd's disc artwork and affix it to a blank?