Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Satanic Rites of Dracula--best version?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Satanic Rites of Dracula--best version?

This (lesser) Hammer title has been bounced around various public domain versions/compilations over the years. Many of you know it is also known as "Count Dracula and his Vampire Bride(s)".

I'm constantly trying to fill out my Hammer Horror collection (on a reasonable budget of course), and I picked up this version of the title from "Passion Production".

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Rites-...3679231&sr=1-6

It is just terrible quality-wise. Grainy, really dark, just overall exactly what you would expect from a PD production. On the flip side, I think I paid 3 bucks for it. So, no blood no foul there. I knew what I was (probably) going to get. My question would be if anyone knows of any better versions? PD (though I realize they may all use the same $#!* print) or otherwise?

I assume the official Anchor Bay version is better. I'm basing that just on them being a real company though, it's certainly just an assumption (and though I'd like to know if it is, it's not like I will rush out and buy either AB version as they are both OOP and a lil pricey).

Anyone have any experience with the AB versions? Or any of the PD versions below? I'm especially curious as to what, if anything, makes the "special deluxe version" (2nd link) so special and/or deluxe.

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Rites-...3679959&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Rites-...3679959&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Satanic-Rites-...3679959&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Dracula-...679959&sr=1-12

http://www.amazon.com/Count-Dracula-...3679959&sr=1-9

Any help/advice is appreciated...I watch all the Hammers two to three times a year in a series and a better quality print could really help me get through this one.
Old 05-12-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Satanic Rites of Dracula--best version?

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
It is just terrible quality-wise. Grainy, really dark, just overall exactly what you would expect from a PD production.
I watch all the Hammers two to three times a year in a series and a better quality print could really help me get through this one.
This is why I haven't bought it yet. As a matter of fact, I don't even think that I have ever seen this movie at all. And I'm a big Hammer Horror fan.
Old 05-12-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
This is why I haven't bought it yet. As a matter of fact, I don't even think that I have ever seen this movie at all. And I'm a big Hammer Horror fan.
Brother, you ain't missin' much. I like even the Hammers that normally get canned (Scars, A.D. 72) but this one is the worst of the canon IMO (out of the Hammers I have seen, I don't have any of the DVD-R double features).

Could have been a lot better if they had brought back Stephanie Beachem as Van Helsing's daughter! But even that wouldn't have saved it.
Old 05-12-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I had the Brentwood version almost a decade ago and didn't remember the quality being horrible, but it was non-anamorphic and had a watermark that popped up every fifteen minutes.

The worst part though, was how awful the movie was.
Old 05-12-10, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I had the Brentwood version almost a decade ago and didn't remember the quality being horrible, but it was non-anamorphic and had a watermark that popped up every fifteen minutes.

The worst part though, was how awful the movie was.
Ooh how I hate those PD companies that use watermarks!

Looking closer, I notice the version I have is listed as 1.33:1, though I don't remember it being such. I'll have to check it out tonite. A few of those other versions I listed are 1.85:1.

The "special deluxe version" from "Cleopatra" studio says it comes with two discs...I'm wondering wtf they needed two discs for. Have to do some detective work of my own on that one I guess. Packaging looks decent (for PD anyway).

The Anchor Bay single release has Dolby and is widescreen but is OOP and goes for 90 bucks on Amazon. I'm a collector but no way I am paying 90 bucks for this stinker. Even the AB double feature with Prince of Darkness goes for 30. (I probably should just hold out for a re-issue of the DVD-R...a few of the long-ish OOP Hammers on Amazon have recently went up at semi-decent prices again. Quartermass 2, Abominable Snowman, etc.)

And yeah, the ultimate crime is how bad the movie really is. but the collector in me has to have it, and said collector tells me I must find the best version there is affordably.
Old 05-12-10, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best I've seen is the AB, unfortunately. It is indeed non-anamorphic. Quite honestly, the double with Prince for $30 isn't that bad of a deal if you can resell your Prince to defray the cost. It's just a repackaging of the individual discs so it's not like you're missing anything.
Old 05-12-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
The best I've seen is the AB, unfortunately. It is indeed non-anamorphic. Quite honestly, the double with Prince for $30 isn't that bad of a deal if you can resell your Prince to defray the cost. It's just a repackaging of the individual discs so it's not like you're missing anything.

I got the single on sale for 12 something off of Amazon, which is around what it should cost IMO considering it's a DVD-R but it was a GREAT deal compared to their normal 24.95 (!) for it. If I could get 15 or 20 for it I'd eat another 10 bucks and get the combo. Have to give that shot. I'd definitely like to have the nicer packaging on my shelf.
Old 05-12-10, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the OOP double is actually two pressed discs. On top of that, both movies have bonus features on the B side of the disc, which you are presumably missing on a DVD-R version.
Old 05-12-10, 05:30 PM

Brother, you ain't missin' much. I like even the Hammers that normally get canned (Scars, A.D. 72) but this one is the worst of the canon IMO (out of the Hammers I have seen, I don't have any of the DVD-R double features).
Even though it's bad as everybody has said ( and I believe you ) I would still get it if it was given a proper release just because it's Hammer.
But that hasn't happened yet I guess.
I like Scars, A.D. 72 also. Even love Lust for a Vampire which got terrible reviews I heard.
Old 05-12-10, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched it a couple months ago. It wasn't that bad. Not great but I've seen worse.
Old 05-12-10, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
Well, the OOP double is actually two pressed discs. On top of that, both movies have bonus features on the B side of the disc, which you are presumably missing on a DVD-R version.

I'd prefer the pressed version of course but I don't hate DVD-Rs as MUCH as some--I really just ask that the price be reasonable (which of course they often aren't!).

So far as extras....I've never watched a DVD extra. Literally never. I usually have 0 interest in whats included and even when I have seen an extra I thought was interesting listed on the box I have always passed it up to watch another actual movie from my unwatched pile.

My DVD-R of Prince of Darkness does have two discs (your post made me get up and check, LOL) but I have no idea what's on that second one. Package doesn't even say!
Old 05-12-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JOE29
Even though it's bad as everybody has said ( and I believe you ) I would still get it if it was given a proper release just because it's Hammer.But that hasn't happened yet I guess.
I like Scars, A.D. 72 also. Even love Lust for a Vampire which got terrible reviews I heard.

Agreed. I am really looking forward to the announced re-releases of Hands of the Ripper, (and especially) Twins of Evil and Vampire Circus. These are titles I never thought I would have a legit version of.

I like Lust for a Vampire myself. My favorite of them all is Prince of Darkness honestly, which lots of people pan just because Lee doesn't speak. I think it and Horror are the high points of the Dracula series and work great together.
Old 05-12-10, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anchor Bay, baby. Any Hammers they released, I was very happy with...for R1 DVDs, at least.
Old 05-13-10, 09:23 AM

Agreed. I am really looking forward to the announced re-releases of Hands of the Ripper, (and especially) Twins of Evil and Vampire Circus. These are titles I never thought I would have a legit version of.
I know. I'm (im)patiently waiting for those releases also.
Old 05-13-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, and if anyone else cared, I found that the 2nd disc of the "special deluxe version" of Satanic Rites from Cleopatra is just a crappy death metal CD.
Old 02-03-11, 07:33 AM

Actually, the Diamond version with the "Vampire Bride" title could be the exact same print as the Anchor Bay one just with a different title card. Both are uncut. I did some comparison when I got the Diamond version. The long scene after the credits with the police talking to the dying under cover cop is a good place to compare because there are some skin tone problems. (flashes of a darker red to a normal flesh tone flicker on and off like someone is playing with a light switch). I had the AB disc, the AB letterbox VHS and my Diamond "Vampire Brides" version and all three had the same flickering in the same places.

I don't think that the original negatives were ever used in any version so far. I would be curious if a digital restoration using the original negatives would kill the flesh tone problem?!?

So you really can't go wrong with either AB or the Diamond disc. I purchased the Diamond one the month it came out for $6.95
Old 02-03-11, 09:34 PM

The best I've seen is the Region 2 release by Optimum. You can get this, and 20 other films in their "Ultimate Hammer Collection". It's an incredible deal for approx $45....all films are anamorphic and are equal if not better than their best US counterparts. You also get the longer British cut of ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. which is only available here as such in the US via the old Fox laserdisc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Ham...6790218&sr=8-1