Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Rebuy TV sets for smaller packaging

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rebuy TV sets for smaller packaging

It seems that TV set in particular are getting smaller & smaller for newer releases. Stargate SG-1 for example. It first was released as a set of 5 DVD cases in a box. Next they went to slimpacks (about 2 DVD cases wide). Now I've seen it all in a single DVD case. As far as I can tell, the disks themselves are the same so it is just the packaging changing. My friend has the 1st releases (I've got the 2nd) & I just laugh over the shelf-space that the series takes up compared to what the series takes up now.

Has anyone ever rebought seasons of a series (maybe sold the older versions) to get the smaller packaing (disks the same as previous releaes)?
Old 05-10-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rebuy TV sets for smaller packaging

I never do because you can simply buy a dvd case the size you need and download a cover for it. I have all my TV seasons in single width cases
Old 05-10-10, 10:48 AM

I either put my TV seasons in binders w/ custom covers, a 400 DVD player or drawer w/ slim CD style cases (all depends upon the series). So I guess the answer is no, I wouldn't rebuy for packaging alone.
Old 05-10-10, 11:16 AM

I have been giving the subject a lot of through lately. Since it is impossible to find the good quality 6 disc slim packs (14mm spine) with media clips for booklets, I was considering it. I went so far as to email fox customer service to see if they sell just the packaging but who ever replied totally missed the point and they said sen back the defective sets. I have notice with some sets I watch a lot, like Angel and Buffy in the thick cardboard pack, the prongs holding the discs in place are wearing down over time. If the sets I want slim, Buffy, Angel, 24 ever hit $10 a piece I will prob go crazy. Until then I am going to transition them to the thicker cases (22mm) just to protect the discs.
Old 05-10-10, 12:49 PM

Certainly it's frustrating to see TV sets eat up the shelf space--as many older style ones do. But I'm in no position to rebuy things just to save shelf space. $ are simply too tight these days. And going through the hassle of selling old sets to defray new set costs is much more than I want to tackle. I'd rather use my DVD $ for items I don't have.
Old 05-10-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Rebuy? No, but it might push me to get something I've been on the fence about.

I really wish Paramount would bring out Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise in smaller packaging (with a lower price point to match).
Old 05-10-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have, yes. Basically I'm okay with digipaks and regular cases, but I don't like the boxes with Thinpaks inside of them. Those are the ones I've replaced ("Arrested Development" comes to mind).
Old 05-10-10, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Nope, but I don't keep them in their original cases.
Old 05-10-10, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nemein
I either put my TV seasons in binders w/ custom covers, a 400 DVD player or drawer w/ slim CD style cases (all depends upon the series). So I guess the answer is no, I wouldn't rebuy for packaging alone.
I too as I have stated before store my TV DVD's in 4 seperate Sony 400 disc players. I can watch whichever series I Want or whichever episode I want with the click of the remote and then store the cases away on shelves in the closet-
Old 05-10-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The only time I rebuy is that if I get more for less [like if I have seasons one and two, and the complete set is cheaper than seasons three and four separately] and then can recoup some of the costs or regift them.
Apart from a few titles which take up a lot of room [Matrix collection with figure], I'm not too worried about shelf space - plus that sort of limits my purchases.
Old 05-10-10, 05:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Good stuff that has either already been and/or will be discussed in our "Official" OCD DVD Collecting and Organization Discussion Thread.
Old 05-10-10, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The only time I rebuy is that if I get more for less [like if I have seasons one and two, and the complete set is cheaper than seasons three and four separately] and then can recoup some of the costs or regift them...
This makes the most sense to me.
Old 05-10-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I rebought all seasons of 24 when they were on sale at Target.
Old 05-10-10, 08:17 PM

I've only done this once and with St: TNG. The green collapsable sets were very attractive and appeared to be made very well. Not so. The discs all skip or won't play and the sets are held together with tape or something so, I have done it but given my current experience, I'll not do it again.
Old 05-10-10, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I really wish Paramount would bring out Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise in smaller packaging (with a lower price point to match).
Check Walmart. I've seen seasons of Voyager in pretty small packaging. Price wasn't that much (maybe $27?).
Old 05-10-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I think the only time I've rebought any tv set was the special edition of 24: Season 1. And I only pulled the trigger there when the fantastic deal was posted about it and other seasons in the Bargains forum a couple of years back.
Old 05-10-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've done this with Angel, Buffy, Felicity and The X-Files.

At the time, I was running out of room, and it was worth it to save the space. Since then, I've bought a third DVD rack, and now fortunately, I have plenty of room (at least for now, lol), so I probably wouldn't bother.

Rob
Old 05-11-10, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

DS9 etc. never struck me as having especially huge packaging. Awkward maybe, but not large.

Better to think back to the glory days of when occupying large amounts of shelf space was a sign of value

Old 05-11-10, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I should clarify, the DS9 and VOY packages aren't excessively big, but I just hate those flimsy plastic foldout things. I'd love for them to be in slimcases in a cardboard box like BSG.
Old 05-11-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MoviePhanatic00
If the sets I want slim, Buffy, Angel, 24 ever hit $10 a piece I will prob go crazy. Until then I am going to transition them to the thicker cases (22mm) just to protect the discs.
Keep an eye on the Target and Wal-Mart threads. I know Target has two-packs for 26.99 that sometimes go on sale for 19.99 (though they are not all the seasons, just whatever they are offering at the time).

Some of these items have the same UPC as their thinpak components and you can do what you want with that!
Old 05-12-10, 01:05 PM

I have to admit that I was tempted with several series because of the difference in packaging - but I refuse to shell out another $20-40 for something I more or less already own. I know I could sell the old copy but there still wouldn't be that much of a return.

Usually I try to sell my sets as "bundles" on amazon or ebay after the complete series is announced (but the general populace doesn't know about it yet) and then pay maybe and extra $30 (at most in most cases) for the better packaging and hopefully bonus disc.
Old 05-12-10, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JJE-187
I never do because you can simply buy a dvd case the size you need and download a cover for it. I have all my TV seasons in single width cases
This, exactly.
Old 05-12-10, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
DS9 etc. never struck me as having especially huge packaging. Awkward maybe, but not large.

Better to think back to the glory days of when occupying large amounts of shelf space was a sign of value

My mom has all the seasons of Dr. Quinn, thanks to yours truly. It takes up about half of her dvd rack. Ridiculous.
Old 05-13-10, 08:01 PM

I'm not sure if this qualifies since they take up just about the same amount, but I re-bought all the seasons of Sex and the City in their newer packaging. The original packaging was just God-awful as everybody knows. Everything would fall apart! It's unfortunate though, I liked the old covers better than the newer ones. I think I'll keep the old ones too because they re-authored the discs to alter the menus and they compressed the contents of Season 6, Parts 1 AND 2 onto two discs each rather than three discs each.