Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I have had it with my Sony S360

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I have had it with my Sony S360

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-00, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Overall this is a great player, but with one slight flaw. The sound of the disc spinning inside the player is freaking loud. I have tried to get use to it and ignore it and I thought I had. Today though I finally snapped. I was watching Young Frankenstein and all I hear in my mind instead of dialog is "whir" "whir" "click" "whir". I stopped the movie and immediately put the freaking player on EBay. I loved my Sony S300 which makes no disc spinning noise, but it does not pass a DTS signal. Okay, my question is can anyone recommend a new DVD player that is relatively quiet? I was thinking of getting a 6 disc Onkyo 600, but haven't had a chance to test one out. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

------------------
"Know wha I mean, know wha I mean. A nods as good as a wink."
DVD Laserdisc
Old 08-13-00, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you should move up to a better, newer sony model, My sony S 530 is a magnificant player for the money. It has a wonderful picture, can do 5.1, and dts, and doesn't make any noise.

Sony players have less troubles when handling disks then other players, I havn't had a single problem with any disc in my collection with my Sony, that goes for dual layer, dvd-18, and everything else.

Sony dvd players freaking rule!

------------------
OrO?!

Kenshin Himura - Ruroni Kenshin

[This message has been edited by HoMeBrO (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-13-00, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have an S300 as well and it does not make any noise. The only disadvantage is that it does not support DTS. HoMeBro is right. The Sony's have a lot less compatibility issues and even though they are not build as well as they used to be are still one of the best if not the best brands out there. My S300 is still going strong after almost two years of use.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-13-00, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have my S300 back in the living room for the time being and it is a great player. I wish it could be modified to pass a DTS signal. I may look into that before a buy something else.
Old 08-13-00, 05:35 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
darkside, just how noisy is the 360? I was thinking of getting one myself. I listened to one at the store but it seemed quiet (but not the best place to judge because of all the traffic around). Could it vary from one machine to the next or are they all like that? Thanks.
Old 08-13-00, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sony S7700 has a front panel that lifts up over the DVD tray during playback so that you hear no noise what so ever. Kind of pricey though, but a great player.

------------------
Now Playing
Old 08-13-00, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By the way, the S530 is NOT NEWER than the 360. It was part of the last generation of Sony players. The 360/560 are the newer models...

Given the recent problems with Toshiba compatibility, stick with Sony somehow. I have a 330 and no problems with noise. I have heard of the occasional disc spinning noise issue with the 360, but is your unit worse than others???
Old 08-13-00, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am probably going to use my PS2 for my DTS needs. Granted it is not as good as a stand alone DVD player with DTS capabilities but it will do until the time comes to replace my DVD player. In any case I am still not convinced that DTS provides a significant improvement over DD and with my sub par Cambridge Soundworks speakers it probably will not make a difference anyway.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old 08-13-00, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by kuroiinu:
darkside, just how noisy is the 360? I was thinking of getting one myself. I listened to one at the store but it seemed quiet (but not the best place to judge because of all the traffic around). Could it vary from one machine to the next or are they all like that? Thanks.<HR>

Not sure if mine was typical, but it was very loud, especially when it was near the layer change on the disc. This is the loudest disc transport I have ever heard. I could hear it plainly sitting 8 feet or more from the player during quietier movie scenes. Even my wife had gotten sick of it. Other than this its a great player. I found a good deal on the Onkyo 600 at Sound City. Its only $300 with free shipping. Its a B unit, but for the price it should be fine. I tried one out at Circuit City and its a solid player with a great looking picture.
Old 08-14-00, 03:50 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
Thanks darkside. If you can hear it from 8 ft away, I'll take your word that it is loud I'll look for the Onkyo too.