Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The TOMMY LEE JONES Appreciation Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really admire this guy's acting. Mr. Jones graduated at the top of his class from Harvard, so he's definitely a smart motherf@cker, so what does he do with his life? ACTING!

Aside from his deliberate "overacting" roles, such as Natural Born Killers and Batman Forever, Jones is a real good egg when it comes to performance.

He was no slouch in the early 80s, earning an Emmy for his performance as Gary Gilmore in The Executioner's Song

He had another role in a big film - Coal Miner's Daughter, as the husband. But it was not a juicy enough role, and Jones is kind of just "there." Nothing for him to really do in that one, but it was a big Oscar film, and a lot of people saw it; most importantly, they saw him.

His small role in the Oscar-nominated film Love Story gave him exposure, and that was 1970. Tommy Lee Jones has done good work in the 70s, including his role as Howard Hugues in The Amazing Howard Hugues (another TV movie).

As the 80s rolled around, aside from his Emmy turn in 1982, he really wasn't a "big star." He did a lot of TV stuff, but no big movies.

Once the 90s rolled around, I guess Mr. Jones was tired of treading water, and decided to swim.
Films such as JFK (earning his first Oscar-nomination - for best supporting actor), Under Siege, The Fugitive (winning the Oscar for supporting actor), Heaven and Earth, The Client, Natural Born Killers, Blue Sky, Cobb, and Men in Black.

The next decade showed him in other big films, such as Rules of Engagement, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, No Country for Old Men, and In the Valley of Elah (another Oscar-nomination there).

There's a lot of films I never saw, like The Eyes of Laura Mars or Jackson County Jail, both from the 70s, which I heard were good.

What are some of your favorites from Mr. Jones?

Old 04-27-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: The TOMMY LEE JONES Appreciation Thread

Loved him in The Fugitive and the MiB films. He also appeared in the pilot episode of the television show, Charlie's Angels.
Old 04-27-10, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
He also appeared in the pilot episode of the television show, Charlie's Angels.
was he a bad guy that the Angels had to capture?
Old 04-27-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He was great in The Eyes of Laura Mars and Stormy Monday.

His performance as Clay Shaw in JFK is my favorite, followed by his work in NCFOM, The Fugitive, Heaven and Earth and The Executioner's Song.

Very talented man.
Old 04-27-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
was he a bad guy that the Angels had to capture?
I actually saw this episode, but it's been about two years ago. He had a pretty significant role in it but I can't remember specifically if he was a bad guy or not.
Old 04-27-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does it surprise you that that inteligent ppl go into acting? James Woods is a member of Mensa. Oh and how can you leave out his best film ever!!!!!

Old 04-27-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"I'll just get my gear..."

He was awesome supporting Devane in Rolling Thunder.

I've always held Jones up in the same high regard as Gene Hackman. He's a damn great actor with some fantastic performances and a great screen presence.
Old 04-27-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Why does it surprise you that that inteligent ppl go into acting? James Woods is a member of Mensa. Oh and how can you leave out his best film ever!!!!!

I have that movie! Not exactly anyone's best work ...
Old 04-27-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
"I'll just get my gear..."

He was awesome supporting Devane in Rolling Thunder.
Same movie, later

"Gonna kill a bunch of people"
Old 04-27-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tommy Lee Jones is the kind of great actor that can make a medicore film like The Hunted (2003) watchable. In the Valley of Elah, JFK, No Country, Fugitive, he's always been one of the best.
Old 04-27-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When a studio hires Mr. Jones, they're getting quality. Mr. Jones always gives his best.
Old 04-27-10, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

TLJ is awesome. My neighbor is actually cousins with him, and tells stories about them growing up (along with Boxcar Willie). He's told me some stories I wouldn't share here, but let's just say that if you get a chance to be his personal assistant, don't.

My favorite TLJ performances are JFK, Under Siege and NCFOM.
Old 04-27-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I like Jones in some movies (JFK, HEAVEN AND EARTH) and find him annoying in others (UNDER SIEGE, THE FUGITIVE). In THE FUGITIVE he's only a U.S. Marshal for cryin' out loud, but he runs around barking orders in that high-pitched Texas accent as if he were the commanding officer on D-Day or something. Ridiculous. The Chicago cops and the local FBI men would have laughed in his face.

Anyway, here are Jones' greatest performances:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ut2QXQc7Fac&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ut2QXQc7Fac&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CooI2Y2dTmw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CooI2Y2dTmw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-27-10 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess I'm the only one that thinks TLJ plays TLJ in almost all of his movies. But like Clint Eastwood and Harrison Ford, he's still enjoyable to watch.
Old 04-27-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I like Jones in some movies (JFK, HEAVEN AND EARTH) and find him annoying in others (UNDER SIEGE, THE FUGITIVE). In THE FUGITIVE he's only a U.S. Marshal for cryin' out loud, but he runs around barking orders in that high-pitched Texas accent as if he were the commanding officer on D-Day or something. Ridiculous. The Chicago cops and the local FBI men would have laughed in his face.
Uh, no. The US Marshalls are the lead agency in any escaped prisoner case. Tommy Lee Jones' character was the agent in charge.
Old 04-27-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I guess I'm the only one that thinks TLJ plays TLJ in almost all of his movies.
Nope, I've posted it before IMO he is one of the most overrated actors ever. I actually think he is a very limited performer. Take a failry comparable actor that could play the same type of parts like an Ed Harris who absolutely blows TLJ away in range, gravitas, and screen presence.
Old 04-27-10, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I think he's great.
Old 04-27-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Never been a huge fan but think he is good. I thought 3 Burials of M E was terrific.
Old 04-27-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

One thing I appreciate about Jones's performances is, he always appears to be attentive. When I watch him listening, it doesn't come off as him just waiting for his turn to give his lines. (I'm looking at you, Jack Nicholson!)
Old 04-27-10, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like TLJ. LOVE him in NCFOM. Liked him in The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Guillermo Arriaga (writer for Amores Perros, 21 Grams, Babel, The Three Burials Melquiades Estrada and the writer/director for The Burning Plain) loves to tell us here at UNT about TLJ and how he came to know him. Seems like he's a very educated guy on film among other things.
Old 04-28-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I think he's quite underrated because people think he's doing a "schtick." But he does a nice job of layering and providing different shades of his basic laconic, gruff character -- I'll second the love for 3 Burials, which is just astounding, and he was amazing as well in No Country. Hell, I'll even give it up for Men In Black -- I found him far funnier and more interesting than Will Smith, really.
Old 04-28-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
One thing I appreciate about Jones's performances is, he always appears to be attentive. When I watch him listening, it doesn't come off as him just waiting for his turn to give his lines.
This is an interesting observation, and I agree.
Old 04-28-10, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
Uh, no. The US Marshalls are the lead agency in any escaped prisoner case. Tommy Lee Jones' character was the agent in charge.
(Oops. Shows how much I know.)
Uh, yeah, thanks!, I was waitin' for someone to correct me. What else are you guys good for?

And what am I good for? Finding those Japanese commercials Jones was in. Check 'em out.
Old 04-28-10, 07:38 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
One thing I appreciate about Jones's performances is, he always appears to be attentive. When I watch him listening, it doesn't come off as him just waiting for his turn to give his lines. (I'm looking at you, Jack Nicholson!)
Agree as well. Gives me the impression that if I ever met him he would actually listen to my floundering attempts at appreciation.

Think he's great in many roles, but am particularly fond of The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.
Old 04-28-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

I am very interested in seeing him in In the Electric Mist, but regretably, the USA DVD is the bastardized version

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.