Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony STR555ES Protector function?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony STR555ES Protector function?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-00, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently bought the Sony STR555ES for about $635 and have been happy with it so far. I only have two real complaints. One is the annoying ass remote that everyone complains about, but my other problem has to do with a message which reads "PROTECTOR" that is displayed and then cuts sound when I play the reciever at higher levels. I am assuming this is linked to the extreme heat that is given off by this reciever, but really have no idea what this message means. Any ideas about why this message is appearing would be appreciated, and any ways to keep the heat down on the reciever would also be nice.
Old 08-11-00, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Either you have an intermittent short in the wiring, or you are playing it very very loud. Use a small fan to keep it cool, and see if that keep the Protector mode from kicking in.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 08-11-00, 04:44 PM

I would definitely check your speaker wire. If any of the wires are crossed or touching other bare wire, this could be causing your problem. I had this happen once on my old setup. I had lengthened a wire and didn't put electrical tape on it so bare wire was exposed. Eventaully the positive and negative wires came in contact and when I played at high volumes, it would lock up. The problem was fixed when I separated the wires and put electrical tape on them. You may also have wires touching. Check the back of your receiver and speakers for this. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!
Old 08-11-00, 06:06 PM

I am positive that I have not wired anything wrong. Right now I only have fronts (JBL S310) and a center (JBL S-Center) and they are hooked up with 12 gauge Monster wire with gold banana plugs on both ends from Radio Shack. I am very sure that the Protector funtion enables itself when the reciever gets extremely hot. Once enabled all sound stops. I really just need a way to keep the reciever cool without spending much money. I also do not have the space for anything elaborate because my set up is in my bedroom which only measures 12x10. I am more then willing to buy electric fans but I have no idea where to place them in relation with the reciever, or what size to get.
Old 08-11-00, 09:27 PM

Make sure you dont have anything stcked on or under your receiver. You can pick up the small computer fans from a local computer store. They are very inexpensive. Also, check the manual to make sure about the whole Protector function. Good luck!
Old 08-11-00, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am having this same problem with my Yamaha reciever. Jim Rochester mentioned this when I initially posted this problem and it seems like it has been confirmed. I think I have a problem with my speaker wire which I have not really wired properly as I think I have the issue of wire touching wire. I think it is time to re-wire my speakers now that I have gone from just two fronts to 5 speakers and a new DD/DTS reciever.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-13-00, 09:23 PM

To Top