Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

NIghttime mode on Sony DB 930

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

NIghttime mode on Sony DB 930

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-00, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every time I try the Nightime effect setting on my Sony DB930 receiver (which is supposed to compress the dynamic range), I end up with a tremendous amount of echo. So much so that the dialogue is almost unlistenable.

This doesn't happen on any of the other sound effects modes.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Is there some other setting that I could have inadvertantly changed or failed to change?
Is there a way to fix this?

Brad
Old 08-11-00, 04:39 PM

I have a Sony receiver too (not the same as you) and I also experience the same "echo" effect in its Night Theatre Mode. I also have a separate D. Range compression setting that I use instead of the Night Theatre. I set it to Max when I watch movies at night, and unlike the Night Theatre mode, it doesn't have the echo effect. Instead it "balances" the volume coming from all of the speakers so that explosions, etc. aren't louder than the dialogue. If you can adjust the D. Range compression I would highly recommend it over the Night Theatre Mode. Also, if your receiver doesn't have the D. Range adjustment, then your DVD player might. Good luck!
Old 08-13-00, 06:54 PM

I have the DB930 & also experience the same problem as you. I just adjust the dynamic range (as noted in the reply above). To do so, you just go into "level" and you can adjust it. During regular listening, I just return it to the "max" setting.