TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Sunset" -- 04/25/10

Old 04-25-10, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Breaking Bad -- "Sunset" -- 04/25/10

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
As Walt settles into his new surroundings, Walter, Jr. demands answers about his parents' relationship. Hank's investigation creates an immediate problem for Walt and Jesse.

This is episode 6 of 13.
Old 04-25-10, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Breaking Bad -- "Sunset" -- 04/25/10

Episode 6 photos (the first one may be a spoiler):

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Old 04-25-10, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ominous title. I wonder what the sun is going down on? Can't wait to find out...
Old 04-25-10, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They've released the names of the last two episodes. Here they all are:

Spoiler:
No Mas ["No More"]
Caballo Sin Nombre ["Horse With No Name"]
I.F.T.
Green Light
Mas ["More"]
Sunset
One Minute
I See You
Kafkaesque
Fly
Abiquiu
Half Measures
Full Measure
Old 04-25-10, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

another wonderful episode, I love this show.
Old 04-25-10, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This show cannot be stopped. What an incredible episode. So much intensity and suspense, from start to finish.

The opening was brutal; I loved how the timing of the axe chops coincided with the biting of the apple. The cousins are so intimidating. I never thought two guys sitting in a restaurant booth in complete silence would be so terrifying...Gus even seemed shook for the first time. I found it funny though that they sat next to one another and not on opposite sides of the table, lol.

It was great to see Walt man up again. Taking charge in the lab and getting back to business. Not sure about his lab assistant, but they seemed to have good chemistry (pun intended). Part of me thinks the guy is faking a lot of his enthusiasm and personality at Gus' request to make Walt more at home. I liked how the guy's "special project" was brewing his own coffee; I didn't realize it until he poured it into the cup and it was steaming. It was nice to see this fancy lab in action too; it looked like they had a fun time filming that scene.

It was smart of Walt to not talk to Jesse because the phones could have been bugged, but it really caused more trouble for the both of them. Still, the way that entire plot-point played out was just inspired. Makes sense that Jesse didn't trust Walt though, after their last encounter.

I liked the "cameo" of the junk yard guy (I can't remember his name, but he's been in so much stuff). I totally wasn't expecting him to come and stand up to Hank. It was a great scene. And then Walt coaching Jesse just added to the greatness. It was a truly intense scene; claustrophobic and panicked. I got a good laugh out of Jesse tacking on his trademarked "bitch" at the end. It was nice to see both of them reminisce about the RV and the "old days."

I wonder what's going to happen with Jesse now that he doesn't have the RV and Hank is all over him. I'd love to see him and Walt work together again, but that just doesn't seem likely given the heat that Jesse has on him right now.

I loved the scene where Hank stormed into the hospital. The colour saturation, the way the camera was angled and emulated tremors or a panic-attack. Then when his phone rang and the gradual return to normal. Truly great directing. I loved his look of anger, disgust, and determination. This was undoubtedly the final straw for him.

Hank is just so close, it's only a matter of time. The RV being destroyed will only further his belief that Jesse is somehow involved. You have to wonder though, how long will it take before Hank starts to suspect Walt is involved. I mean, he calls Walt to ask about the RV, then soon thereafter Jesse leaves. Then right when he is about to catch Jesse, he gets a very personal phone call. I mean sure, someone could have easily found out the name of his wife, but still. Add to the fact that Hank thinks Walt had previously been involved with Jesse for marijuana and the fact that chemistry supplies were stolen from Hank's school...

But all of that may be a moot point. Gus giving the cousins permission to go after Hank was a brilliant move that may, at least in the short term, solve a lot of problems. Will be interesting to see if they even get to Hank; and if they do, will they still want to kill Walt?

The preview for next week looks amazing. I wish we didn't have to wait an entire week...

EDIT: Can someone post who directed this episode? I missed it on the credits and am too lazy to look it up.

Last edited by kstublen; 04-25-10 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-25-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ John Shiban.

This episode was fucking awesome. Had a nice season one feel to it.
Old 04-25-10, 11:34 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Great episode

Loved the music and buddy montage feel of the scene where they were cooking the meth.
Old 04-25-10, 11:51 PM
Suspended

I figured Gus got the lab assistant in there to learn what he can from Walt, thus allowing the brothers to off Walt in the near future.
Old 04-26-10, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
I figured Gus got the lab assistant in there to learn what he can from Walt, thus allowing the brothers to off Walt in the near future.
I have a feeling Gus is going to end up killing those brothers. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who tolerates annoyances, and they are starting to annoy him.
Old 04-26-10, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Great episode last night! I was freaking out when they were both trapped in the RV and Hank went to get the tire iron.

I thought the junk yard guy was going to come with the fork lift and and take the RV away with them in it (just to get them out of the situation).. but I loved how he stood up to Hank, and then Jessie spoke up.

I'm glad that the brothers are going after Hank - those guys freak me out.

I'm also surprised that Gus can't just "pay a fine" to the brothers or the head of the other family to make up for what Walt did wrong. In return, the "injustice" has been balanced.
Old 04-26-10, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'm also surprised that Gus can't just "pay a fine" to the brothers or the head of the other family to make up for what Walt did wrong. In return, the "injustice" has been balanced.
It's not about money for them though. Tuco was their cousin and they want revenge. Offering them money would only add insult to injury.

But yeah, I really thought that Gus was going to show up and when they said they were tired of waiting have a sniper take them out or something, lol. No matter how scary the cousins are, Gus is infinitely scarier.
Old 04-26-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great episode!

And yeah the biggest laugh was Jesse saying bitch in that scene.
Old 04-26-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
This episode was fucking awesome. Had a nice season one feel to it.
Yeah it did kind of seem like season 1.

Great episode.

Wouldn't surprise me if Hank killed the brothers and his DEA career gets even better(more screwed up?) for him.
Old 04-26-10, 11:31 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 900 Likes on 761 Posts

this is what television was made for.
Old 04-26-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still can't believe Hank missed Walt's car, parked just a few yars from the RV at the junk yard. That tunnel vision can prevent you from seeing the whole picture, Hank!
The following users liked this post:
Jack Straw (08-20-22)
Old 04-26-10, 12:21 PM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Best episode of the season by far.
Old 04-26-10, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

amazing. wish I could be a TV critic and watch all the eps ahead of time.
Old 04-26-10, 01:04 PM

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I still can't believe Hank missed Walt's car, parked just a few yars from the RV at the junk yard. That tunnel vision can prevent you from seeing the whole picture, Hank!
I'm pretty sure Walt drove the RV to the junkyard. He asked the owner to call him a cab.
Old 04-26-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Walt definitely showed up in his own car. He went to where the RV was being worked on.
Old 04-26-10, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Walt definitely showed up in his own car. He went to where the RV was being worked on.
Right but Hank found the RV in a different location than where Walt did. It could have been made clearer.
Old 04-26-10, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh my bad, this is what happens when I watch this show around 2 a.m. I remember Walt parking his car at the oil change scene, and then he did drive the RV to the junk yard, so I got my parking lot scenes mixed up.
Old 04-26-10, 01:34 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

The scene with the fake phone call to Hank was tremendously well-done too. The muted sound, the panic, the real call from the wife. The tension inside the RV was brilliant--Walt THAT close to being caught by his own brother-in-law. What an amazing ep. in an amazing show.
Old 04-26-10, 01:55 PM

Great episode - this is the only show I actually watch anywhere close to real-time. The only thing that didn't ring true (although it worked from a dramatic standpoint) was to have them stick around and watch the RV get crushed. They didn't know if there was a call for backup, etc., and after that standoff, they would have bolted as soon as Hank left.
Old 04-26-10, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hank totally could have gone into that RV. Generally speaking, an RV IS a motor vehicle for purposes of 4th Amendment law, if it's not connected to utilities or semi-permanently parked somewhere. If you can just turn the ignition and drive off, it's going to be treated as a motor vehicle.

This was a great episode though. I have a feeling that bubbly, "science is magic" guy is less of an assistant and more there to learn Walt's formula for Gus, so Gus can hand Walt over to the twins.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.