Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teal & Orange - Hollywood, Stop the Madness!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting article regarding film color palette trends...

Those of you who watch a lot of Hollywood movies may have noticed a certain trend that has consumed the industry in the last few years. It is one of the most insidious and heinous practices that has ever overwhelmed the industry. Am I talking about the lack of good scripts? Do I speak of the dependency of a few mega-blockbuster hits to save the studios each year, or of the endless sequels and television retreads? No, I am talking about something much more dangerous, much deadlier to the health of cinema.

I speak of course, of THE COLOR GRADING VIRUS THAT IS TEAL & ORANGE!!!

This is the insidious practice of color-grading every movie with a simplified, distilled palette of teal and orange like this: (see link)

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.com/20...ease-stop.html
Old 04-24-10, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Teal & Orange - Hollywood, Stop the Madness!

Luckily (or not), I'm color deficient, so shit like this usually goes right over my head. I never even notice.
Old 04-24-10, 02:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Isn't Bumblebee a shade of yellow?
Old 04-24-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Old 04-24-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

I blame David Fincher!

Actually, when done right, teal, orange, or any other color adds to the overall experience. Movies like O Brother, Where Art Thou? are the better for it. IMO
Old 04-24-10, 02:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a little ostentatious, don't you think? Maybe throw some hot rod red in there.
Old 04-24-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had noticed the teal thing, but hadn't realized the orange except for thinking that everybody looked really "warm" in TF2.
Old 04-24-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am tired of the "teal" look, as well as the "orange" look, if that's what's been applied to Transformers that makes the sky a murky sea green and turns all whites slightly gray, which always seems to be used to make movies look "modern" or "slick" in a 21st century way. That said, I am much more tired of the color-drained, dust-brown look. I hate it. I hate it with an intense passion. Just because people liked it in Saving Private Ryan doesn't mean every gritty, dirty-looking movie needs to suck the color out. It's just so fucking boring. And that's really what's wrong with all of these techniques: they look boring. Tinting everything blue or orange isn't a "look". No "look" should be applied with a roller. And sucking the color out is less of a look than anything. If you want it to look stark, shoot it in straight up black and white. At least that'd be different, by today's standards.

The writer of the article is accused of adding the letter "H" over and over where it doesn't belong. The "Cohen Brothers" did not direct a movie called "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"
Old 04-24-10, 03:07 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The color palette is the least of the problems with Transformers 2.
Old 04-24-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I blame David Fincher!
Hey, didn't James Cameron bring those strong filters to the big Hollywood movies? David Fincher made it very noticable and 'sophisticated'. Jerry Bruckheimer & Co painted it on (especially with his TV shows).

Though not "experienced", I'm very familiar with color grading. The teal/orange is not really for me. But I don't mind the style.

More than anything, seems like we see them in all of those little horror movies and Bruckheimer's shows. I think they make the movies with relatively low budgets and then tack on the heavy color grading techniques, in order to gain some credibility that it's a very well-shot, well-lit production. But in the end, it's kind of like a painted up whore.

It works sometimes. But I really prefer to see things that were shot in-frame and maybe touched up just a little. Teal/orange or not, some movies get out of hand, even when just trying to make the grass greener and whatnot. When overdone, it's no different than bad CG.
Old 04-24-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I actually liked all the examples they showed... lol. Transformers is a big colorful movie, I don't think it's out of place in that one at all. The only ones I don't care for are the Platinum Dunes movies, it's just cranked up way too much... although maybe it'll work a little better in Nightmare, since it's dealing with dreams/surreal environments.

I've always really liked blue/orange complimentary color schemes... it's pretty common when you know to look for it, although it's hard to think of specific examples at the moment. Eyes Wide Shut used it effectively... of course there's also cloud city in Empire.
Old 04-24-10, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Actually, when done right, teal, orange, or any other color adds to the overall experience. Movies like O Brother, Where Art Thou? are the better for it. IMO
ditto. Some films use it well. Actually...most of the films I've personally seen have used it well. I can't think of bad film I've seen that used it badly...off the top of my head. Maybe I have.
Old 04-25-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the movie is good, it doesn't take me out of it. If it's a bad movie, then it bothers me more.
Old 04-25-10, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This is a more severe epidemic than "bubble invading".
Old 04-25-10, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It doesn't bother me. Michael Bay's movies have had that same look for at least 20 years.

I'd rather have teal and orange than the washed-out blue tones of movies like Underworld.
Old 04-25-10, 05:11 PM
Banned

.....yeah....I agree. Blue can be too much.
Old 04-25-10, 07:31 PM

I'm actually a big fan of movies where the color palette is controlled. Sure, I prefer times when there's a point behind the coloring or when the coloring is done via deliberate sets, lighting, or costuming, but even the cheap computer aftereffects look cool to me and rarely bother within the context of the film.

The only time I've been bothered by coloring in a movie lately (that I can remember) was the driving scene Tarantino directed for Sin City, which obviously wasn't a victim of teal & orange. There are far, far more problems with most movies at the moment than color choices.
Old 04-25-10, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The only issue I ever had with color palettes was when James Cameron made everything blue for the night scenes in Terminator 2. It was annoying and unrealistic. Granted, the movie kicked ass but it was the only time color took me out of a movie.

That guy needs to lighten up. Most of those movies weren't that great aside from Iron Man 2, which I hope is good but the others have bigger problems than their color palettes.
Old 04-25-10, 09:49 PM
Banned

Aren't most night scenes blue if you want to actually show the character? It's either that or "moonlight" white or whatever you want to call it.
Old 04-25-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Soderbergh's Traffic was highly stylized, as are most Tony Scott films in terms of color palette.
Old 04-25-10, 10:05 PM
Banned

actually I'll admit. I got annoyed by Traffic's use of blue. didn't mind everything but it was too blue.
Old 04-26-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've definitely noticed, and been annoyed by, the teal trend.
Old 04-26-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just watched King Arthur after reading this. A whole lot of teal and orange going on in that film.
Old 04-26-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Legion has to be the worst offender of this style. Made a bad movie sooooo much worse. We should make a poll and vote on this for fun.
Old 04-26-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Those images featured in the link provided in the first post remind me of the old 2-strip Technicolor, which was used from roughly 1922 till 1933, after which 3-Strip was perfected.

Here are some examples:

WHOOPEE (1930)

MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM (1933)

DOCTOR X (1932)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.