Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

I Want a 16:9 TV, but do they come any smaller?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I Want a 16:9 TV, but do they come any smaller?

Old 08-10-00, 04:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here's the deal. I want to get a new TV, the new 32" Sony WEGA is very tempting for me right now. I prefer to get a 16:9 TV, but they all seem to be huge, in the 40"+ range. Are there any 16:9 TV's that are smaller, in the 32" and possibly even 36" range? I already have a 55" rear projection that the family uses, and this was primarily for my bedroom.
Old 08-10-00, 05:59 AM
uhh, Clem?

There's a Panasonic 32" and a Toshiba 32" plus others. In the $3200 - $4000 range.
Old 08-10-00, 08:44 AM
Cool New Member

Cool, unfortunately, still not within a viable price range for me. Although the Samsung 40" LCD is affordable, any one seen one of these?
Old 08-10-00, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Toshiba has a 40in for around $2500 at Best Buy!!! I would not go any smaller than that for a home theater!!!

This television is HDTV ready.....

[This message has been edited by djones6746 (edited August 10, 2000).]
Old 08-10-00, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My friend picked up a 46" Mitsubishi in a store for around $2500. You have to realize though that HDTV-ready sets will require AT LEAST another $1000 to make them actual HDTVs. I picked up the Toshiba DW65X91 for $7000, but it came with the HDTV decoder & the DirecTV digital satellite receiver built-in. I also got a free Toshiba elliptical satellite dish with it. So all I needed was some cables & my dish installed to start getting the HDTV broadcasts (plus an antenna for the local network HDTV signals- CBS, ABC, etc.). My friend is still waiting for some new decoder/dish/antenna thing that has now been pushed back to October. So make sure that you know everything you'll actually need to get the most out of the HDTV.
Old 08-11-00, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Portable DVD players come with 16x9 screens. Just sit real close.
Old 08-12-00, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by noodles:
Ok, here's the deal. I want to get a new TV, the new 32" Sony WEGA is very tempting for me right now. I prefer to get a 16:9 TV, but they all seem to be huge, in the 40"+ range. Are there any 16:9 TV's that are smaller, in the 32" and possibly even 36" range? I already have a 55" rear projection that the family uses, and this was primarily for my bedroom.<HR>

Be sure to actually go out and look at the 16:9 sets and not just go by numbers alone. The 40" Toshiba everyone talks about is tiny. It would fit nicely into a bedroom.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.dvd-o-rama.com"" TARGET=_blank>DVD-O-Rama.com
DVD Reviews..with an attitude

Presented by Samuel L. Bronkowitz

[This message has been edited by DVD_O_Rama (edited August 12, 2000).]
Old 08-12-00, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As DVD_O_Rama mentioned you should look at the sets for yourself. I found the 40in Tosh to be too large for our space and went with a 34in SharpVision direct view.

I considered the Samsung but found the contrast too low for my taste (LCD's have difficulty producing black). However, they do have a new model out which is said to provide deeper blacks than the earlier model. If space is limited its worth a look.

If you don't need a tuner, Princeton Graphics has a 30-32in 16:9 monitor.

One correction. The models noted by Clem are actually 34in, not 32in.
Old 08-13-00, 11:15 AM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the post guys. Decided to settle on a 32" Sony WEGA, the FS16, from 800.com. Hopefully that Cybershop rebate comes through. Thought I'd wait it out and upgrade the bigscreen to a big HDTV in a year.