Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Girl Who Played with Fire" ("Girl/Dragon Tattoo" sequel)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Bought the DVD off Ebay from Asia and just watched it. As I mentioned here in another thread, I thought the first in the series ("The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") was absolutely amazing. A great great movie and one of the best crime/mysteries I had ever seen. As reported by those who have seen it, this second film is a pale comparison to it's predecessor. While the story is equally engaging as "Dragon", and the cast does a fine job, the style and pace of the movie is no where near the same as the first. I know it's a different director, but it really shows. For the most part, it just felt like a long episode of "Prime Suspect" and not a movie at all. The directorjust really didn't know how to handle this story and really missed the mark on what could have been some really intense scenes. Again, it's the story and cast that save this film. I'd give "Girl/Dragon Tattoo" a 10/10 (my highest rating). This gets a 7/10.
Old 06-26-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "The Girl Who Played with Fire" ("Girl/Dragon Tattoo" sequel)

(Bump)

This movie opens in U.S. theaters this week (on 7/2).
Old 06-26-10, 12:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

isn't the second technically 'next' week
Old 06-26-10, 12:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is this the same chick from the first movie? Because I don't know if I can take another movie with her. Dragon Tattoo was good, but intense.
Old 06-26-10, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Is this the same chick from the first movie? Because I don't know if I can take another movie with her. Dragon Tattoo was good, but intense.
Giles, you anal mother effer! Yes, next week. Sorry.

And yes Daniel, same girl. Same entire cast in fact.
Old 06-26-10, 01:12 AM

^ yeah sorry for being such a dick...

as I recall from reading, Entertainment Weekly stated the third movie with same said "entire cast" comes out in the US in October.
Old 06-26-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
^ yeah sorry for being such a dick...

as I recall from reading, Entertainment Weekly stated the third movie with same said "entire cast" comes out in the US in October.
My friend just e-mailed me the same update (via EW). I have the DVD on the way from (I don't know where). Found it on Ebay. I couldn't wait. It should be here in the next few days. I'll post my review here. I have read though the third was much better than the second. In terms of direction. Again, the story in #2 was pretty heavy and intense. So it should be seen. But it's just no where near as good as the first.
Old 06-26-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isn't the second technically 'next' week
looks like it debuts at the Landmark (both of them) on July 9
Old 06-26-10, 01:47 AM

both of them?!? of wait you mean E Street and Bethesda - I was thinking of the second and third film for a sec. it's late and I'm getting tired.
Old 06-26-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

both of them?!? of wait you mean E Street and Bethesda - I was thinking of the second and third film for a sec. it's late and I'm getting tired.
yep, e street and bethesda. And will eventually get up here at the charles, as they have it listed, but no date
Old 06-26-10, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I caught this like a month ago.

Fantastic. I really enjoyed continuing in the story with these characters.

I'm eager to see the third film.
Old 06-27-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Is this the same chick from the first movie? Because I don't know if I can take another movie with her.
You'll want to make sure and skip 'Daisy Diamond' then.
Old 06-28-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

After going into the first one more or less blind, I'm trying to avoid reviews of the sequels, but I have heard that they are basically made-for-Swedish-TV movies. Are the sequels watered down in terms of content (like American made-for-TV movies are), or are they as "graphic" as the first film?
Old 06-28-10, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^I think since they pretty much made them back to back with the same distribution intent, it should be fine - the first got a theatrical release but was intended to be part of the same MILLENNIUM miniseries, so I'm sure it'll be fine. The next two do have a different director, but I doubt that would influence the content much.

Last edited by mdc3000; 06-28-10 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-28-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^I think since they pretty much made them back to back with the same distribution intent, it should be fine - the first got a theatrical release but was intended to be part of the same MILLENNIUM miniseries, so I'm sure it'll be fine. The next two do have a different director, but I doubt that would influence the content much.
So these were originally filmed for TV?
Old 06-28-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
So these were originally filmed for TV?
Pretty sure #1 was always meant to be a movie, #2 and #3 were shot with the intention of airing on Swedish TV. They were re-edited and parts were reshot and they were given theatrical releases after #1 became such a huge sensation. #2 and #3 look like they were shot for TV as well, versus the movie-grade quality of the first.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-28-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We don't get this until July 23rd but I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it and the third. Thanks for the review Daytripper.
Old 07-02-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgczA...eature=related
Old 07-02-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from bom
Foreign sequel The Girl Who Played with Fire was awarded an R rating for "brutal violence including a rape, some strong sexual content, nudity and language." Predecessor The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has made $8.7 million since opening Mar. 19, making it the highest-grossing limited-only release of 2010 thus far. The Girl Who Played with Fire, which has already earned over $50 million overseas, hits select theaters on July 9.
Old 07-02-10, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

I said this before, but all 3 adaptations were shot with both mini-series and theatrical film in mind. The 6part mini-series has already aired in Sweden, each "extended version" lasting approximately 180 min.

So I'm not sure where people get this notion that the 2nd (and 3rd) films are more "tv like". I've seen the first two, both in theaters and on DVD (Alliance Atlantis) and, although they have different directors, they both have that "made for tv feel" to me. Plus I woudn't say the 2nd film pales in comparison to the 1st either. It's a tad weaker film but so is the material it's based on. The 2nd book is the weakest of the three.
Old 07-02-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I said this before, but all 3 adaptations were shot with both mini-series and theatrical film in mind. The 6part mini-series has already aired in Sweden, each "extended version" lasting approximately 180 min.

So I'm not sure where people get this notion that the 2nd (and 3rd) films are more "tv like". I've seen the first two, both in theaters and on DVD (Alliance Atlantis) and, although they have different directors, they both have that "made for tv feel" to me. Plus I woudn't say the 2nd film pales in comparison to the 1st either. It's a tad weaker film but so is the material it's based on. The 2nd book is the weakest of the three.
The second and third have a TV "feel" because of the way they were shot. There is no way you can compare the first film (or whatever it was) and say it looked anything like the second or third. No way. No matter how much they were edited or filmed. The second two films just look "cheaper", that's all. Now, where can everyone get these longer versions??
Old 07-02-10, 11:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wait wait wait...there are longer versions? So..this 152 min. cut we're getting on BD/DVD...isn't the whole thing but just the "condensed" and from what it sounds like really good film version? And they were filmed w/ the intent to be released as a condensed film and expanded miniseries? Wow. Is the the longer version better?
Old 07-02-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Beats me. the one that is coming out tuesday is the theatrical cut. I wonder though, if Pt 1 was really supposed to just be like a tv miniseries like some claim, why shoot in 2:35;1 and use anamorphic lenses
Old 07-02-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know who or what to believe anymore. I've read so many different things about these films. But the bottom line is, I can tell you the first looked like a feature film. The cinematography was amazing. As was the sound, editing, etc etc. The second two? Nowhere close. But still equally gripping in acting and story. They just looked like TV movies in comparison.
Old 07-02-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want the poster

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.