Search this Thread

Old 04-13-10, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Parenthood -- "What's Goin' on Down There?" -- 04/13/10

Parenthood

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sarah considers coming clean with Amber about dating Mr. Cyr; Adam feels overwhelmed by his family's hectic schedule; Haddie goes to work with Julia, and the experience provides both Julia and Kristina with unexpected career insight; Crosby reenters the dating world.

Jason Ritter and Minka Kelly are guest stars again.

After watching 24 on Monday, I need something to lighten up the mood now.
Old 04-13-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Parenthood -- "What's Goin' on Down There?" -- 04/13/10

Originally Posted by DJariya
Jason Ritter and Minka Kelly are guest stars again.
Barring The Class, I'd forgotten how much I can really like Jason Ritter (esp. in stuff like this and Joan of Arcadia). And Minka Kelly is SO much better in this role than she ever got to be in FNL!
Old 04-13-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everytime I see Jason Ritter, I expect him to be in a wheelchair.

Just did a massive catchup on all of the previous episodes in the last week or so, and really am enjoying this show. Erika Christensen is hot in a kind of off-kilter way, and I really like Lauren Graham's character. I know that it is a different actress and she would have made the role her own, but I can't see Maura Tierney as the mother.
Old 04-13-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk God

It's probably not going to happen, but I would love to see the original Pilot with Maura Tierney on the DVD set. I think the overall tone of Sarah's character would be so different.
Old 04-14-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sarah's an idiot. How could she not see that Amber had a crush on Mr. Cyr? She is so self-righteous about her parenting,and god forbid someone actually try and help her...I mean, she has no problem asking everyone for help, but when they come to her and give her some insight, she loses it. And then, she has the brilliant idea of telling Amber she was dating Mr. Cyr the night before the SATs? I mean, really? Graham's character is really getting on my nerves and is without a doubt the most unlikeable person on the show.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying all the other characters. Loved how they focused briefly on Max and really developed everyone else instead. Kristina was great and I really liked that by the end of the episode Haddie appreciated and respected her mom even more. Krause is just fantastic as Adam.

Dax Shepard has shown some real acting chops here. He's made Crosby into a wonderful character and someone I'm really rooting for. When he said no to the Yoga Mom, I was really proud of him for doing the right thing. What's going on with Katie though?

The entire bit about Adam seeing Gabby putting away Tequila at the bar and then showing up for work the next morning with no signs of a hangover whereas Adam was miserable after having just two drinks was absolutely hilarious.
Old 04-14-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
Dax Shepard has shown some real acting chops here. He's made Crosby into a wonderful character and someone I'm really rooting for. When he said no to the Yoga Mom, I was really proud of him for doing the right thing. What's going on with Katie though?
Yeah he's definitely better in this than he has ever been before. Man is he ugly though.
Old 04-14-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He might be ugly, but he is engaged to Kristen Bell and dated Kate Hudson for a while, so he must have something going for him.
Old 04-14-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this episode I realized that the biggest reason I watch the show is because it's like an added installment of "Brothers and Sisters," but with each episode I feel like the characters come into themselves more and I find myself enjoying the series more and more.

I really like the direction Peter Krause is going with Adam, I was scared that he was going to play Nate 2.0, but he's really created a vastly different character. Wish I could say the same about Graham and her Lorelai alter-ego, but at the same time I don't think it her character would work otherwise.
Old 04-15-10, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movieking
He might be ugly, but he is engaged to Kristen Bell and dated Kate Hudson for a while, so he must have something going for him.
Hence the episode title ;-)

-jason
Old 04-17-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Another really good episode. ^^ I agree that is was really naive of Sarah to not see that her daughter had a crush on Mr. Cyr.

Peter Krause is just fantastic as Adam. It was great that they showed his struggles trying to balance his responsibilities in the family. The final scene with him finally get his "Me" time was great.

Dax Shepard may be one ugly dude, but he's shown some solid acting in this series thus far. It was good to see him wise up and resist the temptation of that Hottie Yoga Mom and that he needed to be there for Jabbar.
Old 04-19-10, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's probably not going to happen, but I would love to see the original Pilot with Maura Tierney on the DVD set. I think the overall tone of Sarah's character would be so different.
A DVD of the pilot episode with Maura Tierney is actually on eBay at the moment: http://item.ebay.com/180494686473

It would be fantastic if the winner ripped it and put it online somewhere.