Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Where Have the Dvd Deals Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Where Have the Dvd Deals Gone?

Is it just me or does it seem like the market offers substantially less bargains than previous years? I used to check the bargains forums like 10 times a day. Now I rarely bothered.

The real kicker for me is how some stores try to pretend that they are offering a sale. I visited the Barnes and Nobles in a nearby city, and was excited to see a huge blu-ray and dvd section with big 50% off stickers. Then I saw the prices. They were not even laughable. The prices were insulting.

Smallville was marked at 50% off, but the retail price was $60! North and South was priced at 90 bucks. All blu-rays were $40-50 each. Who in their right mind would pay that kind of money? It makes me sick that I renew my membership 6 months ago. A complete waste of money.

And the main source of excitement recently, Gohastings, has become stingy with their sale as well. It has been months since we've seen a 30% off blu-rays and dvds sale. Secondspin.com is offering 30% off right now, but at their prices, no good deals.

Anyone bummed out by the lack of deals these days?
Old 04-12-10, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Where Have the Dvd Deals Gone?

I've still managed to spend about $1500 on what I would consider good deals so far this year, which is on par with last year. However, I will admit it has been less on what are my highest priority items and more of what has been on my list of future purchases, and a few surprises along the way. Mostly from DD, Amazon, and Sam's Club.

Some of it may have to do with what you are looking for. Most of my pickups have been from older TV shows and movies, and little recent material. I've also found that while DD's sales are generally listed (some good and some not so good), Amazon pricing is all over the map. Many of my Amazon pick ups haven't even been listed as part of an advertised sale (that I knew of) but just short term price reductions that I happened into from time to time.

At least that has been my experience so far.
Old 04-12-10, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that Best Buy has the same movies on sale for 2-3 weeks at a time now. I remember a few years ago they had all the Warner 2 disc SE's buy one get one free. Also the Oscar winner SE's were the same. Haven't seen it since. They also used to have the new releases cheaper than everyone else for the first couple days.
Old 04-12-10, 10:05 AM

IMO, 2008 was a little golden age for DVD buying, thanks mostly to DD. Terrific bargains all year long. Amazon was pretty good, too. DD tightened up considerably in '09--lots of so called "deals" that weren't really deals, prices up across the board. I spent 50% with DD vs. '08. Amazon held even. This year prices are still high-ish at DD, still with the ridiculous faux "deals," but with careful shopping some authentic deals can be found on DD. I've spent most of my $ with DD this year (with Big Lots a close second). It's Amazon that seems really lame this year. I've only put in one small Amazon order in the past five months. Except for Black Fri., Target, Best Buy, Wally Mart have been pretty much AWOL, too, it seems. The upshot of all this is that deals are just scarcer than they were a couple of years ago. I'm sure that's a result of the economic crisis and the decline of the DVD market. The studios and others in the DVD food chain are hanging tough, trying to extract more from our wallets. That, though, may be a vicious circle. They reduce the incentives to buy...we buy less...they earn less...they try to extract more $ to make up the losses...we buy less etc.
Old 04-12-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I definitely have to hustle about 5x as much to get the deals on entertainment media that I did, oh, say, 3-4 years ago. But how do I spend 5x the time just bargain-hunting? Simple answer. Rich GF.

Thank goodness for my rich GF. I stay home and bargain-hunt while remodeling her house (now our house), and she has me set up with several nice online accounts, as well as tons of B&M shopping, when she's not at work. I've become her houseboy-ho! And we are both very, very happy.
Thankfully, I'm a millionaire too, so I never need to worry about deals lol
Old 04-12-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy

Thank goodness for my rich GF. I stay home and bargain-hunt while remodeling her house (now our house), and she has me set up with several nice online accounts, as well as tons of B&M shopping, when she's not at work. I've become her houseboy-ho! And we are both very, very happy.
If this can last, it's a great deal. (Heck, even if it doesn't, it's a great deal.) But for a lot of women, rich or not, the novelty wears off after a couple of years and they want your ass to go back to work, so be careful. (Ungrateful bitches.) Best of luck to you in the meantime, though.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-12-10 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 11:31 AM
Banned

New releases on DVD now are priced at $14.99 or less. Up until last year, it used to be $19.99 the price point. What else do you want now? To get new releases for $5?
Old 04-12-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
New releases on DVD now are priced at $14.99 or less. Up until last year, it used to be $19.99 the price point. What else do you want now? To get new releases for $5?
Yes - now that you mention it.
Old 04-12-10, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by dx23
With some of these crappy movies, I'd hope they pay me to take it off their hands.
Old 04-12-10, 02:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Where have the deals gone?

To our two bargain forums for one.

But imo, deals are better today than at any other time in my years of DVD shopping.
Old 04-12-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't buy much truly "new" so I guess I pay less attention to those prices but there's been a lot of neat overstock stuff in the past year.
Old 04-12-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where have the deals gone?
One just have to do some research and there is plenty of good deals around.
Old 04-12-10, 04:33 PM

As far as I know, DeepDiscount has not offered any valid 'discount codes' for DVDs since November 2009.
Old 04-12-10, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vlyger
As far as I know, DeepDiscount has not offered any valid 'discount codes' for DVDs since November 2009.
There were several $5 codes last year iirc.
Old 04-12-10, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
There were several $5 codes last year iirc.
That's what I mean. That was back in November 2009 and there haven't been any other 'discount codes' of any type since then. I'd like to see DeepDiscount offer more 'codes' some time soon in 2010.
Old 04-12-10, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Vlyger
That's what I mean. That was back in November 2009 and there haven't been any other 'discount codes' of any type since then. I'd like to see DeepDiscount offer more 'codes' some time soon in 2010.
Oops, I got a year ahead of myself.

But I don't think we're missing anything so far. In the past, they had the two big annual sales in June & November and the smaller regular sales/codes on specific titles.

We're still seeing the regular sales on specific titles, and the 'big sale' last November was roughly equal to what we always got. So how is it any different? I don't see what we're missing so far. Next 'big sale' should be June, right?
Old 04-12-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I think the deals have always been there, they've just moved around. At times, I made a good number of purchases during Deep Discount/Amazon sales. Then there was a good run of fantastic deals through the Columbia House club/threads. In the last year most of my purchases have been at Big Lots, goHastings.com and FYE (before the store closest to me shut down).
Old 04-12-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Gone to graveyards, every one.

When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
Old 04-12-10, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Christmas is over
Old 04-13-10, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One would think that due to the economic recession that more stores would make some great deals to generate cash flow in order to avoid bankruptcy.
Old 04-13-10, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dane
One would think that due to the economic recession that more stores would make some great deals to generate cash flow in order to avoid bankruptcy.
The big retailers don't have to bother with closing out titles because the studios have to take them back after a certain amount of time passes. They're essentially consignment goods and when they have to be cleared out it's the movie studios that decide to dump them to people like DeepDiscount at a special price. Many people have gotten DVDs from DD with other stores price tags still on them.
Old 04-13-10, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been doing pretty good with Amazon by putting stuff in my cart and watching the prices. Blu-ray has been a whole another story, often being cheaper than the DVD version. And those Disney coupons have been great. No complaints here.
Old 04-13-10, 07:54 AM

Funny, after I posted this, I discovered that gohastings.com is having an incredible sale. B2G1F $1 sale. The incredible part is it includes their entire inventory. I did a search from highest to low and you can actually buy star trek voyager seasons 1 - 7 as one item (great price at $174) , another mega set, and get 3rd mega set practically free!

Too bad I already own the Voyagers or I would be all over this!
Old 04-13-10, 09:00 AM

dvdaddict32, where is the info on the B2G1F gohastings sale? I can't find any indication of it on their sunset.
Old 04-13-10, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Steve
dvdaddict32, where is the info on the B2G1F gohastings sale? I can't find any indication of it on their sunset.
Click the tab for movies and you'll see the ad for the sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.