Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Introducing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Introducing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

I just got this in my email: http://newsletter.eidos-games.com/HM...HnGHxKDXCNiww0

Also from kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5490171/lara-croft...ce=Emailvision

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-10-10 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-10-10, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Re: Introducing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

And also discussed somewhere in the XBLA thread, but damned if I know where. I like the idea of a Lara Croft themed Shadow Complex game, but the more I read about it, the more it seems this is really designed as a two person co-op game and I'm concerned that the single player game will be less enjoyable as a result. I guess we'll see when it comes out and I can try the demo (unless they pull a Capcom and make the demo MP only).
Old 04-10-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be called Lara Croft: Curses to Naughty dog, all our games will be like UC2 from now on. And did we mention that we got Noah North to voice Lara Croft? I mean everyone loves him right?

Come to think of it, that may be a bit wordy to fit on a box cover.
Old 04-10-10, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by glassdragon
Should be called Lara Croft: Curses to Naughty dog, all our games will be like UC2 from now on. And did we mention that we got Noah North to voice Lara Croft? I mean everyone loves him right?

Come to think of it, that may be a bit wordy to fit on a box cover.
XBLA = No box cover.
Old 04-10-10, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The last I remember hearing about a new TR game was seeing some crude concept art of what looked like an anorexic Lara on horseback.

And TR should just build up on Uncharted but veer more towards exploration and puzzle solving with some solid action to mix things up. Basically tip the scales to the other side despite having the same basic components.

I think it only fair as I believe Uncharted owes as much to Tomb Raider as it does to Gears Of War.
Old 04-10-10, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't know this was DLC... The part about coop shouldn't be a problem

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light also features a single-player only mode. There's no option for an AI-controlled coop buddy, so solo players will play a version of Lara with beefier platforming abilities.
So that gap that takes 2 in co-op may only need her because she can jump further or something.
Old 04-10-10, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's about time eidos starts building on the quality of TR. As of now, TR is to UC as Go-bots are to Transformers.
Old 04-10-10, 02:21 AM

To me, that sounds like the single player mode will be a bit of an afterthought or at least an inferior gaming experience. And anyone who tried the demo of Schizoid solo or plays Borderlands alone knows that certain games just don't work as well without a partner.
Old 04-10-10, 02:24 AM

It's about time eidos starts building on the quality of TR. As of now, TR is to UC as Go-bots are to Transformers.
That's a pretty complicated verbal analogy, but if you're in some way implying that Michael Bey will be directing the screen adaptation of Uncharted, I think I'm going to go ballistic.
Old 04-10-10, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

LOL, just saying that one is kmart and the other is anywhere else that isn't Kmart.
Old 04-10-10, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
To me, that sounds like the single player mode will be a bit of an afterthought or at least an inferior gaming experience. And anyone who tried the demo of Schizoid solo or plays Borderlands alone knows that certain games just don't work as well without a partner.

I played offline borderlans my entire playthrough and had a blast. Logged in about 45 hours.
Old 04-10-10, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Borderlands is a blast solo.

LOL, just saying that one is kmart and the other is anywhere else that isn't Kmart.
You're right. The most difficult Uncharted puzzle wouldn't even make the cut in a TR demo let alone full game. Nathan Drake isn't fit to lick Lara's boots in that department.
Old 04-10-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

That's what I thought when I saw the screenshot
Old 04-10-10, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Borderlands is a blast solo.

You're right. The most difficult Uncharted puzzle wouldn't even make the cut in a TR demo let alone full game. Nathan Drake isn't fit to lick Lara's boots in that department.
Forget puzzles. Uncharted 2 was 10 times better and more fun than any tomb raider game ever has been, and unless eidos steps it up then it's going to stay that way. Don't get me wrong, at one time Tomb Raider was the one to beat in this kind of genre, but they have been unseated by Uncharted. Uncharted is now the one to beat. I hope they can do this as that only means good news for gamers with more awesome games.
Old 04-10-10, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Forget puzzles.
What? You can't compare two games and then bolster your argument by tossing out 90% of what makes up one of the examples in your very own comparison.

I'm not trying to slight Uncharted 2, it was an amazing, albeit linear, experience. The point is that they are no longer in the same genre. Actually never were. Tomb Raider excels in the puzzle platformer department where Uncharted does not. Underworld was a killer game and the puzzles were amazing. Uncharted 2 had unparalleled production values that simply mask the narrow corridor that Naughty Dog wants to hold your hand through to the end. It was great once, but I would hope other devs don't follow their lead.

Even mentioning the two franchises in the same breath at this point is a bit of a joke.
Old 04-10-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the Uncharted series to death but Michael Corvin is right in that they are totally different games.

Uncharted is a shooter with platforming/exploration and puzzle segments mixed in (more seamlessly in the second game) to keep things interesting. Tomb Raider is a platforming/exploration and puzzle solving game with some shooter segments mixed in to keep things interesting.

However, long before Uncharted came along, the Tomb Raider franchise (as early as the second game in the series) had begun to shift its focus from platforming/exploration and puzzle solving to shooter-style gameplay. Yes, Underworld was a wonderful return to form (despite still lousy combat mechanics) but that's only one game in a series of 9 games (10 if you count this new spin-off).

The Uncharted franchise simply succeeded in doing what the Tomb Raider franchise failed to accomplish. And I hope that sequences like
Spoiler:
the giant Phurba room
in Among Thieves return and are even more ambitious in the third game.
Old 01-26-14, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been playing this with Live giving this away for free. I dismissed it early on when the demo was released. Just didn't jive it. Holy crap do I love this game. It's very old school in a way. I was actually surprised at the detail in the environments as a whole. Weird tidbit but I really like the save points the game has for you. I thought it was one of those games where you have to finish the whole level but no. It really keeps up with you with the saves.

Question: what's up with the missing 2nd challenge tombs DLC? 1st and 3rd are there but the 2nd one isn't. Weird.
Old 03-21-15, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Man this game was so much fun; from the graphics, controls and so much (that I went back and replayed levels to get all of them)... I loved every minute of it.

First day played I got to around level 4, then when I resumed later on, my progress was gone. I was pissed, but it never happened again after restarting it... good thing, I would have skipped this if it had happened again.

on to TOMB RAIDER