Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A couple of things I really hate about reward zone

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand now

Last edited by JohnnyDaBull; 04-14-10 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-05-10, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A couple of things I really hate about reward zone

3. Having to shop at Best Buy to earn points.
Old 04-05-10, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnnyDaBull
1. They don't count the tax on an item towards points. ex: something cost 29.99 after tax its 32 bucks, but you only get 29 points.
2. They don't count the change on an item towards points. You pay 35.99 for something you only get 35 points instead they SHOULD just give you 36 points.

I know these might be silly gripes to some people, but if you think about it this kind of stuff matters.

If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to shop.
Old 04-05-10, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate that their prices suck so bad lately that I haven't bought anything there in three months.

Oh, and I also hate that I'm stuck at 495 points, just 5 points shy of a $10 Reward Zone certificate.

Rob
Old 04-05-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cpgator
3. Having to shop at Best Buy to earn points.

and to add to that

4. Having to be paid by a GC to best buy that makes you shop there further.
Old 04-06-10, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ESUguy
If you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to shop.
I'm well aware of that sir, and for your information I shop at a wide variety of places. However, I do prefer to shop at Best Buy for most of my electronic needs. You would also have to admit that their system is flawed and needs to be reworked.
Old 04-06-10, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm well aware of that sir, and for your information I shop at a wide variety of places. However, I do prefer to shop at Best Buy for most of my electronic needs. You would also have to admit that their system is flawed and needs to be reworked.
It's free. Costs you nothing, how is that flawed? If you were paying x amount per year, then sure you're entitled to complain about changes or rate hikes or whatever. But it's a pure value-added service that they can control as they wish.

I'm a silver member, only because I tend to buy one large ticket item per year and last year it was a TV setup for my Dad. The only thing I love is the free online shipping on all orders, saves me from going into the stores to try to grab the premium deals.
Old 04-06-10, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by BravesMG
It's free. Costs you nothing, how is that flawed?
Just because somethings free doesn't mean it can't be flawed. The program is not very clear on their rules not even on their website. They stopped mailing out certificates. They have FORCED you to register on that joke of a website. It takes 35 days sometimes 45 days for a purchase to show up. I would consider those things flaws. I find it ridiculous that people would take up for Best Buy after all these stunts they are pulling. All of which hurt the consumers, which the last time I checked that would be us. Ever since Circuit City folded Best Buy has took it upon themselves to charge outrageous amounts for certain things, and I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong Best Buy used to be my favorite store and I've spent thousands of dollars there, but they need to improve. Also, they have alot of employees that have no knowledge whatsoever of the products.

Last edited by JohnnyDaBull; 04-06-10 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-06-10, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Best Buy doesn't get your tax dollars, that goes to your state, so why should they give you points for that?
Old 04-06-10, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ever since Circuit City folded Best Buy has took it upon themselves to charge outrageous amounts for certain things, and I just don't get it.
Like the other poster said - then don't shop there. I understand what you are saying, and yeah, it sucks. Just order your stuff online, save money, and don't deal with them.

Perhaps I am just feeling extra anti-best buy today since they ass raped me last weekend. Due to poor planning on my part, i had to purchase a HD tape for my camcorder. They only had 1 type in stock and the pack of 2 tapes cost me about $30.00. But i had to bend over and take it.

I also needed a 10 ft HDMI cable yesterday (again poor planning on my part). How much do you think that would have cost at best buy? I just ordered online with overnight shipping, and it was still just a fraction of what bb would have cost me.
Old 04-06-10, 08:11 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

A large chunk of my DVDs and blu-rays are bought at Best Buy, and I always buy where they are cheapest. If you think Best Buy is overpriced, you aren't a good shopper.

Sure, much of their stuff is overpriced, by necessity. Retail chains have to stay in business. No one place is going to have the best prices on everything.
Old 04-06-10, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
A large chunk of my DVDs and blu-rays are bought at Best Buy, and I always buy where they are cheapest. If you think Best Buy is overpriced, you aren't a good shopper.
We are just different types of shoppers. You for some reason find pride in the average cost of your DVDs and always try to find a reason to post about it. While you are waiting for movies to hit the bargin bin or clipping coupons, I am at home watching the movies I want, when i want. If there is something I need or want, I'm not going to sit around for months waiting for a sale somewhere. If i want something, I will go online and buy it, and the vast majority of the time, it is cheaper than best buy.

I don't know what my average cost per DVD is, nor do i care. If that makes me a "bad shopper", oh well. Besides, this isn't just about DVDs as you can see from the examples I used in my previous post.
Old 04-06-10, 09:07 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by cpgator
We are just different types of shoppers. You for some reason find pride in the average cost of your DVDs and always try to find a reason to post about it. While you are waiting for movies to hit the bargin bin or clipping coupons, I am at home watching the movies I want, when i want. If there is something I need or want, I'm not going to sit around for months waiting for a sale somewhere. If i want something, I will go online and buy it, and the vast majority of the time, it is cheaper than best buy.

I don't know what my average cost per DVD is, nor do i care. If that makes me a "bad shopper", oh well. Besides, this isn't just about DVDs as you can see from the examples I used in my previous post.
No, you're quite incorrect with much of that.

One, there is no pride involved. I post about bargain opportunities to help others.

Two, while I admit that the opportunity to mention per film averages comes up quite often, I don't mention it all the time. And when I do mention it, it's mainly to show others that things can be cheap with patience.

Three, I never buy anything just because it's cheap. There are thousands of DVDs that I pass on even when I can get them for $1 or less.

Four, I also only buy items that I want to watch, and I watch them quite often. I'm just patient, and don't have to have things on release week.

So yes, I do understand your points and you're perfectly reasonable to have your opinions. Sorry if this sounds defensive, but I do take offense at some of your implications.

Personally, I think even many of your DVD purchases would be cheaper at Best Buy if you clipped coupons and just waited a week or four.

I apologize for the 'bad shopper' line. I guess my issue is not with people like you with legitimate (for them) reasons for the way they shop, and the knowledge that they in some ways are 'over-paying'. I just hate to see the constant stream of haters posting all over the board here saying that 'this store sucks' or 'everything is overpriced here'. The facts are that every chain has some items that are cheapest there, and blind loyalty or disloyalty to certain chains makes no sense imo.
Old 04-06-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes 35 days sometimes 45 days for a purchase to show up. I would consider those things flaws.
That's one where you're wrong. They do it, and even state it on the website, that it's so you can do returns. What they really mean is people were buying a bunch of stuff, back when you quickly got points, to get a certificate and then they'd return what they bought. They were getting free credit.

I also don't see why they should give you money for what you pay in taxes. The money isn't for the store, it's for the state. You should be complaining the state isn't giving you points.
Old 04-06-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That's one where you're wrong. They do it, and even state it on the website, that it's so you can do returns. What they really mean is people were buying a bunch of stuff, back when you quickly got points, to get a certificate and then they'd return what they bought. They were getting free credit.

I also don't see why they should give you money for what you pay in taxes. The money isn't for the store, it's for the state. You should be complaining the state isn't giving you points.

Old 04-06-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
My feelings exactly, about Best Buy. I am truly a "Best Buy Devil", seeking out the biggest discounts on the best items. I never got all the hate for BB 'round here; they usually have an excellent selection, often having things "on-the-shelf" that you might not find most places. And if you "play the deals/sales" as I do, you can really clean up. On top of that...I love my Reward Zone card!
My experience is just the opposite. The selection is limited (though it is at most B&M stores). Like i wrote in my previous post - i need a miniDV HD tape last weekend, and they only carried 1. Just one brand and 1 package size. I also needed an HDMI cable. Normally, BB only carries a couple cables - Monster and something else, and all are expensive compared to elsewhere. Need a thumbdrive? Small selection, and all overpriced.

Yes, i suppose i could "play the deals/sales", but why should I? I can instead just get it when i want elsewhere, and at a price that would probably at least match the BB future sale price.
Old 04-06-10, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Best Buy doesn't get your tax dollars, that goes to your state, so why should they give you points for that?
I didn't realize that. It makes more sense now.
Old 04-06-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

My biggest complaint is the calendar year purge of points.
At least they dont charge you to print your certs, like Ticketmaster.
Old 04-06-10, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I hate about Reward Zone is I forgot my card once so when putting my phone number and email address the Best Buy Tard gave me a new card instead of just looking up my old one without telling me. After using the new one for over a year I get emails saying I have certificates available but when I log in there are no points. Called customer service and they explained what had happen and say I have to make up a new log in for the new card. I do this and try to log in and the website says "there has been an error. Support is working on the problem. Try to log in later" That was 3 months ago and it still says this when I try to log in and I have about $30 in certificates I can't cash. So fuck Best Buy.
Old 04-06-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
What I hate about Reward Zone is I forgot my card once so when putting my phone number and email address the Best Buy Tard gave me a new card instead of just looking up my old one without telling me.
That's sucks.

For me, my reward card has never scanned and it won't come up under an email or phone number search. I've logged in and verified both but I always have to enter the receipts online.
Old 04-06-10, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopower
What I hate about Reward Zone is I forgot my card once so when putting my phone number and email address the Best Buy Tard gave me a new card instead of just looking up my old one without telling me. After using the new one for over a year I get emails saying I have certificates available but when I log in there are no points. Called customer service and they explained what had happen and say I have to make up a new log in for the new card. I do this and try to log in and the website says "there has been an error. Support is working on the problem. Try to log in later" That was 3 months ago and it still says this when I try to log in and I have about $30 in certificates I can't cash. So fuck Best Buy.
Actually, since they erased everyone's points at the end of last year, you probably don't have them anymore, so don't worry about it, lol.
Old 04-07-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

lets play nice people..
Old 04-18-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I see no problem with the RZ program. I get points for every dollar I spend at the store, and they accumulate, and I get free money to spend in their store. And the program is FREE! I just spent $35 in RZ bucks the other week on the LOTR set, which means I really only spent a little over $20 for that set.

Wow. TERRIBLE program... yeesh.
Old 04-20-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I see no problem with the RZ program. I get points for every dollar I spend at the store, and they accumulate, and I get free money to spend in their store. And the program is FREE! I just spent $35 in RZ bucks the other week on the LOTR set, which means I really only spent a little over $20 for that set.

Wow. TERRIBLE program... yeesh.
Actually, you spent about $1770 for it. Yeah, great program.
Old 04-21-10, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Actually, you spent about $1770 for it. Yeah, great program.
And for all you know that $1770 was spent on the best deal. If you can get the best bang for your buck AND get this program, there are far worse things in the world.

I don't shop at Best Buy for the RZ program, but I'm more than happy to take their points when I'm already getting the best deal I can. It's not the best program by a long shot, but it makes for a nice perk.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.