Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Lucasfilm plans animated 'Star Wars' series
Teams with 'Robot Chicken's' Seth Green, Matthew Senreich
By Nellie Andreeva

April 5, 2010, 03:12 PM ET
After two hit "Robot Chicken" parodies of "Star Wars," "Chicken" masterminds Seth Green and Matthew Senreich get to do the real thing.

Lucasfilm Animation on Monday announced it is developing a new animated "Star Wars" series that will take a comedic and irreverent look at the characters from the sci-fi franchise and will featuring creative involvement from Green and Senreich as well as writing from Brendan Hay ("The Daily Show").

Jennifer Hill ("The Backyardigans") will produce, with Todd Grimes ("Back at the Barnyard") on board to direct.

"The 'Star Wars' universe is so dense and rich; it's crazy to think that there aren't normal, mundane everyday problems in a world so well-defined," Green said. "What do these characters do when they're not overthrowing empires?"

Added Senreich, "We're going to pull back the curtain of some of those behind-the-scenes shenanigans."

There is no network announced for the new series, but given Lucas Animation and Green and Senreich's close ties with Cartoon Network, a deal with Cartoon or its Adult Swim programming block appears likely.

The new comedic "Star Wars" series follows Lucasfilm Animation's series "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," which airs on Cartoon Network.

Meanwhile, "Chicken," buoyed by its popular "Star Wars: Episode 1 and 2" specials, is the flagship series on Adult Swim.
Old 04-05-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

Yeah, this is what fans want. Lucas has his thumb on the pulse of this nation.
Old 04-05-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
re: Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

Finally, a place where we can put a 'Jar-Jar steps in shit' gag.

What? That was already in a film?

This show is unnecessary now.
Old 04-05-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pee-youu-sah!
Old 04-05-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Yeah, this is what fans want. Lucas has his thumb on the pulse of this nation.
Haha
Old 04-05-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but weren't the prequels already a sitcom?
Old 04-06-10, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sessa17
but weren't the prequels already a sitcom?
They just needed a laugh track.
Old 04-06-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Use the farce, Luke
Lucasfilm gears up a new 'Star Wars' toon
By DAVID S. COHEN

"Let us assure you this isn't going to suck as much as you think it is."

That was Seth Green's message to "Star Wars" fans following Lucasfilm's Monday announcement it is developing an animated "Star Wars" sitcom.

The show is in early development and Green, creative consultant on the project along with fellow Robot Chicken creator/exec producer Matt Senreich, admitted the announcement was made only to quash rampant rumors: "We're trying to get ahead of it and say what it's not."Jennifer Hill, a Daytime Emmy winner for "The Backyardigans" who is producing for Lucasfilm, told Daily Variety the pair "will be shaping the type of comedy we're looking for and the look of the show."

Green promised: "We can't guarantee its excellence, but we're swinging by the fences."

Skein will not be a sketch comedy show like "Robot Chicken," and it's not a spoof. Senreich said it will be a story comedy and "character driven." It may include crossover appearances from the movie characters. But Hill said no crossovers with the hit "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" series are planned.

Hill told Daily Variety the length of the episodes have not been decided, but they will be no longer than half-hours. No network or start date has been set for the laffer. Todd Grimes ("Back at the Barnyard") will direct. Brendan Hay ("The Daily Show") will be the head writer and Lucasfilm expects to hire a staff of up to 10 more writers.

The animation will be done outside the U.S., at a studio to be determined -- but not necessarily at Lucasfilm Animation Singapore.

"Robot Chicken" has aired officially sanctioned spoofs of "Star Wars," as has "Family Guy." But while the first "Star Wars" movie won legions of fans with its mix of humor and adventure, Lucasfilm has had spotty results seeking laughs with the rest of the franchise -- most notoriously with the character of Jar-Jar Binks in "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace."

But Senreich promised, "We're on the same page as the fans, because we are fans." Green concurred: "We're not talking about Jar-Jar electrocuting his tongue. It's not that kind of humor. If George (Lucas) would have wanted to make that version of 'Star Wars,' he would have hired other people to do it."

One early reaction suggests even skeptical fans may be willing to give the project the benefit of the doubt.

Among the most vocal critics of the later "Star Wars" efforts have been the makers of docu "The People vs. George Lucas." But writer-director Alexandre Philippe told Daily Variety, the new series "is a great example of how 'Star Wars' is still able to connect with fans old and new, and we're looking forward to seeing it."

"Clone Wars" has been a success on Cartoon Network and Lucasfilm has long been in development with a live-action "Star Wars" series. But that too has yet to set a start date or begin casting.

Nonetheless, "Star Wars" remains a formidable franchise. During its 30-plus years it has spawned merchandise, videogames and spin-off series and has earned more than $22 billion, according to a 2007 report by Forbes.
Old 04-06-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For some reason, I see that as an Imperial version of Seinfeld.
Old 04-06-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Why not just do Tag and Bink the animated series?

Old 04-06-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

i'd check this out. Robot chicken is funny and I think Seth is a big enough SW fan to try to make a quality show.
Old 04-06-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

I trust Seth Green to do this right. I just feel that since this is indeed sanctioned by Lucasfilm, then anything they put in this should count as canon. I count the Robot Chicken bits that take place around the story as canon, because I want to, dang it!
Old 04-06-10, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I'm down for this. I've never understood why Lucas didn't get into the TV game sooner. I look at all the Star Trek DVDs I have on my shelves and honestly, I get a little annoyed that Lucas hasn't tried to explore more facets of his story before.
Old 04-06-10, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

What ever happened to the live action star wars tv show?
Old 04-07-10, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am just glad Seth MacFarlane didn't get this show. The last thing that man needs is more air time in this world.
Old 04-07-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Green promised: "We can't guarantee its excellence, but we're swinging by the fences."
Is that a landscaping metaphor?
Old 04-07-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

April Fool's guys! Gets later and later every year...
Old 04-13-21, 08:39 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

I see some websites posting a rumor that this will finally be available and drop as a surprise on May the Fourth on Disney+. Anyone know where this rumor started?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Detours - Animated TV Comedy Series from the creators of Robot Chicken

The Force.net credits it to "The Vulcan Reporter". Anyone know who that is?

https://www.theforce.net/story/front...ney_188533.asp
Old 04-13-21, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I am just glad Seth MacFarlane didn't get this show. The last thing that man needs is more air time in this world.
I know this post is over 10 years old, but since it may be about to come out, I thought I should point out that while not involved creatively, Seth McFarlane actually voices Palpatine in this.
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Seth gave us the best Star Trek series in years with The Orville, I'd be willing to give him a chance with a Star Wars project.
John Pannozzi (04-14-21)
Old 04-13-21, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The Force.net credits it to "The Vulcan Reporter". Anyone know who that is?

https://www.theforce.net/story/front...ney_188533.asp
Hes big into CW/DC stuff. He’s been right sometimes, but other times incredibly wrong. He said In the Dark S3 would be a CW Seed exclusive, it’s not. He said Swamp Thing was coming back for S2 on CW, it’s not.

Old 04-18-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Odd that there's no trailers or clips on this thread. Here's a playlist of the original trailer and 6 clips:
Also, this "episode" leaked about a month back:

Old 04-18-21, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

That looks absolutely dreadful.
Old 04-18-21, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That looks absolutely dreadful.
Why do you think it was shelved, despite having completed episodes? Disney's been sitting on this for 8 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.