Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ip Man 2- Kicking ass in Hong Kong!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-29-10, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awww shit! I just saw the 1st one on Friday here on campus, they had a showing by the HK Student Association. It was pretty good, loved Yen and liked the action...it was good but a bit too formulatic. Anyway..this looks badass. Discuss, you crazy HK action lovers!

This needed it's own thread anyway...

<object width="450" height="319"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20186"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20186" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="319" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="450" height="318"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20182"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20182" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="318" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
<object width="450" height="318"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20183"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20183" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="318" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-29-10 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Ip Man 2- Kicking ass in Hong Kong!

Just got the Blu-Ray of 1 in the mail today. Definitely looking forward to more.
Old 03-29-10, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I liked the first one alot. The bootleg I bought off Amazon sucks, I should buy an official copy.

Anyway that trailer looked pretty good, nice to see Sammo still kicking ass well into his 50's.

When's the last time Jackie and Sammo made a movie together? They need to get the old crew (Yuen Biao as well) back together for another film, and throw in Donnie Yen and Jet Li for good measure.
Old 03-29-10, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still haven't seen the 1st one. You know most martial arts movies are formulatic, it's their choreography that makes them great.

Btw I never knew Donnie Yen was one of the villains in Shanghai Knights. A short but good fight, but they made it seem as if Donnie won that.
Old 03-29-10, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Idioteque...
I still haven't seen the 1st one. You know most martial arts movies are formulatic, it's their choreography that makes them great.

Btw I never knew Donnie Yen was one of the villains in Shanghai Knights. A short but good fight, but they made it seem as if Donnie won that.
Yes and no. The choreography is always good or at least interesting even in the shitty HK flicks. It's just the way the story is told that was bit.....by the numbers more than usual. That plot is greatly heightened by the cinematography used in it which was pretty good in a bunch of scenes. BUT the plot is very much Chinese vs. Japanese, Chinese win and make the Japanese bad people etc....I've seen that a few times...that plot line is VERY VERY specific towards the movies used in it. And to me...it gets boring quicker than the other basic plots of HK movies. The moment the movie ended I just kept thinking Fists of Fury, Fist of Legend, and Jet Li's Fearless...which isn't bad but...it's kind of too formulatic. Does that make sense?
Old 03-29-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wow this trailer looks awesome! Reminds me of video games like Street Fighter II etc

Love it!
Old 03-29-10, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Just got the Blu-Ray of 1 in the mail today. Definitely looking forward to more.
which one? And how do you rate the Blu? Features etc etc..please do tell.

Was it this one?http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...an_blu-ray.htm
Old 03-29-10, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
which one? And how do you rate the Blu? Features etc etc..please do tell.

Was it this one?http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...an_blu-ray.htm
No, I got the UK edition. . .
Old 03-29-10, 08:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I have this one which includes the 7.1 track. Totally worth it.

Old 03-29-10, 09:02 PM
Banned

No, I got the UK edition. . .
You like some of that DC stuff eh? I really need to get some of those.

Which is the better edition? I'm actually kinda leaning to the one I linked about aka the one trespoochies has
Old 03-30-10, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Interestingly enough, Sammo Hung isn't happy with how his fight scenes with Donnie Yen turned out. He had just undergone heart surgery and couldn't go all out. So he wants to collaborate with Donnie Yen in another feature so they can do something better.
Old 03-30-10, 07:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Interestingly enough, Sammo Hung isn't happy with how his fight scenes with Donnie Yen turned out. He had just undergone heart surgery and couldn't go all out. So he wants to collaborate with Donnie Yen in another feature so they can do something better.
That wasn't all out? Man, I love Sammo. Fuck yeah...put them in another movie. I don't mind as long as there's great kicking of ass HK style.
Old 03-30-10, 07:51 AM
Banned by request

I guess an SPL sequel is out though. I really wish they would make something stateside.
Old 03-30-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Idioteque...

To Solid Snake and Idioteque:

formulaic, formulaic, formulaic!

No "t"
Old 03-30-10, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
To Solid Snake and Idioteque:

formulaic, formulaic, formulaic!

No "t"
*looking at what he typed* well I be damned. This auto word thing brought it up and I thought it was weird.
Old 03-30-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the first one and the second one looks just as cool.

Count me in.

I also bought the UK Blu-Ray.
Old 03-30-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You like some of that DC stuff eh? I really need to get some of those.
I've always been a DC guy, Marvel is so lame except for Thor, Cap & Daredevil.

Which is the better edition? I'm actually kinda leaning to the one I linked about aka the one trespoochies has
The HK has the better audio but I believe it is Region locked & more expensive. The PQ is equal on both & phenomenal & the UK release I have is super cheap, it was under $15 when I bought it and its Region Free.
Old 03-30-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Interesting. I loved the fight scene between he and Donnie in SPL.

Can't wait to see this if it gets released stateside. Either way, I can always hope for a HK DVD/BD release sometime this year

The HK has the better audio but I believe it is Region locked & more expensive. The PQ is equal on both & phenomenal & the UK release I have is super cheap, it was under $15 when I bought it and its Region Free.
I thought I had read that the HK disc fared a little better in the PQ department. If it is equal, I might have to order the UK BD sometime soon.
Old 03-30-10, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

too lazy to research this, but has Ip Man 2 already been released in Asia? Theatrically and/or home video?
Old 03-30-10, 09:08 PM
Banned

Wikipedia says:
Release date(s) 29 April 2010 (2010-04-29) (HK, AUS)
asianxcore: I like that fight a lot but...the Donnie Yen vs. Wu Jing was much much better. I'd give the edge to the Hung vs. Yen but that horrid ending to their little bout just took me out of the film. It was too far fetched for the tone of fighting they were going for. And for those of you not in the know of wtf I'm talking about:

ALSO...HK is an amazing institution for editing of action. Probably the best.
SPL: Sha Po Lang aka Killzone (US title, Dragon Dynasty did a pretty damn good DVD off of this check it out)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZs48lJXhxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vZs48lJXhxM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Let me just remind...that really is a big guy moving that fast. He's Jackie Chan fast if you need a reference.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-zE2YFp7lU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3-zE2YFp7lU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-30-10 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 09:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

I agree.
Old 03-30-10, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never was a fan of Donnie Yen until IP man. Cant wait to see the sequel.
Old 03-30-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

I guess an SPL sequel is out though. I really wish they would make something stateside.
At one point Wilson Yip was either going to direct or produce an SPL prequel starring Sammo Hung and Jing Wu. They made Flash Point instead. Given how great that turned out, I'm not complaining.

Still, I'd love to see Donnie Yen, Jing Wu, and Sammo Hung collaborate again.

Check out Drunken Monkey for excellent action from Jing Wu. Lau Kar Leung directs and stars. It also features Gordon Liu.
Old 03-31-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not up to snuff on the BD region stuff yet. Will this version play on a PS3?
Old 03-31-10, 01:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by squidget
I'm not up to snuff on the BD region stuff yet. Will this version play on a PS3?
Yes, it's Region A, so it'll play in the PS3. Got mine for $28 from dddhouse.

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_d...ProductID=9337

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.