Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Life Unexpected -- "Storm Weathered" -- 03/29/10

Life Unexpected

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Lux opens up to Ryan about her childhood in foster care when severe weather strands them together at the radio station. Meanwhile, the storm causes Cate and her sister to be trapped with Baze at his bar, along with Math and Jamie.

2 more episodes left after tonight. I hope this gets renewed so that it will get a chance to find a bigger audience in the Fall.
Old 03-30-10, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Life Unexpected -- "Storm Weathered" -- 03/29/10

Okay this was just silly. Ryan goes out in the storm to pick up Lux, but the roads are so bad that they end up at the radio station which is completely abandoned? Excuse me? Radio stations need to be on the air when the weather is bad like that so they'd have back-up generators going. The station would not be pitch dark and deserted!

And why did Baz's place look totally different last night?

On a good note, the writing continues to be wonderfully strong. Ryan's talk with Lux was very realistic and made a great deal of logical sense in the context of the story so far.

I too hope it gets picked up. It is so blowing Gossip Girl out of the water right now!

So two weeks. Should we be surprised that Cate and Ryan are "getting married in two weeks"? Didn't at ALL see THAT coming.
Old 03-30-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be the Kate/Ryan studio was deserted since it might be a dedicated studio for their show. Since their show isn't on (& appears to be on reruns that week), noone else would be there. Other studios probably are being used. Maybe the station can dictate which portions of the building get the generator's power (the studio not being used was left dark)

This is the first time we've heard Lux's last name (Cassidy). I would have thought she woud have had a different one since Kate didn't even name her. If she did always have Cassidy, I wonder why she never thought that Kate Cassidy might be her mother.
Old 04-01-10, 02:13 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't know if it's intentional or not but they've managed to make all these characters, excluding Ryan, unlikeable.
Old 04-01-10, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I don't know if it's intentional or not but they've managed to make all these characters, excluding Ryan, unlikeable.
Everyone is unlikeable to someone.

I think they have managed to make the characters multi-dimensional and not those drama archetypes found in most shows. Every single character is both good and bad, they screw up and they genuinely seem to be sorry for their bad actions. Parenthood does this as well but to a lesser degree.

The problem I have with the show is that it ventures into that "every problem can be solved with a good speech" territory. Makes me want to puke. For once I want to hear a parent say "That's life", "It sucks to be you." or "You think it's bad now, it gets worse."

But the show really does a good job of showing the character flaws, without trying to make excuses. "Hey, I screwed up, sorry".
Old 04-01-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More Abby, please.