Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Removing Rental Stickers From Covers

DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Old 03-28-10, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know how to do this without wrecking the artwork? I just picked up a few titles on the cheap from Hollywood Video and would love being able to get the stickers off. Thanks!
Old 03-29-10, 06:24 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: Removing Rental Stickers From Covers

goo gone
Old 03-29-10, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will that take it off the paper artwork without wrecking the artwork? or is the goo better for getting the sticky off the case itself?
Old 03-29-10, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I got some from Hollywood Video and some have the same thing stickers inside the plastic on the actual cover insert... wtf. Man I thought blockbuster was bad with stickers all over the cases, I didn't realize until I got home and got some replacement cases ready and started to remove the cover art.

Hard to complain and I still would have bought them anyway cause they were so cheap but I got really turned off by the whole experience. Not just some of the covers but many of the cases and discs were disgusting too and the same with the store and not just because it was un-organized because of closing the place just looked very run down and dirty. I'm not a clean freak but I have a much better appreciation for my local blockbuster's used discs now.
Old 03-29-10, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
will that take it off the paper artwork without wrecking the artwork? or is the goo better for getting the sticky off the case itself?
Goo Gone, the citrus-smelling solvent, won't wreck your artwork. It will take about 30 minutes to completely evaporate after using it, but your artwork will never look better after removing those stickers with it!

TLK
Old 03-29-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
goo gone

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I always thought it would wreck the artwork too.

Originally Posted by komsik
Yea I got some from Hollywood Video and some have the same thing stickers inside the plastic on the actual cover insert... wtf. Man I thought blockbuster was bad with stickers all over the cases, I didn't realize until I got home and got some replacement cases ready and started to remove the cover art.

Hard to complain and I still would have bought them anyway cause they were so cheap but I got really turned off by the whole experience. Not just some of the covers but many of the cases and discs were disgusting too and the same with the store and not just because it was un-organized because of closing the place just looked very run down and dirty. I'm not a clean freak but I have a much better appreciation for my local blockbuster's used discs now.
Yea the prices were great and I'd buy either way but they really overdid the sticker thing and the cases need replaced too.

Originally Posted by The Lizard King
Goo Gone, the citrus-smelling solvent, won't wreck your artwork. It will take about 30 minutes to completely evaporate after using it, but your artwork will never look better after removing those stickers with it!

TLK
Thanks, I got the stickers off using a hair dryer I'll have to use some goo gone to try and get the residue off.
Old 03-30-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by The Lizard King

TLK
Thanks and thanks too Trevor.. I will be picking up some tomorrow morning. Supposed to be amazing outside, so it might be a nice job for the patio.
Old 04-04-10, 12:14 AM

Okay...I bought The Messengers and Lost Boys 2, which both had those red stickers on spine.
Spread the cover out.
Then slightly peal the red sticker slowly.
It should come off and if the white part of the stick gets stuck on the cover
then start pealing the opposite side.
Old 04-04-10, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really depends on what kind of "sticky stuff" the sticker is made of. Some stickers are really a pain to get off, and others come off right away.
Old 04-05-10, 12:16 PM

I got a tip: before applying the goo gone, make sure to remove the paper artwork first. The oil from the goo will sometimes ruin the paper artwork leaving behind ugly smudges.