Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question for Final Fantasy fans...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 10:18 PM

Received 51 Likes on 17 Posts
Question for Final Fantasy fans...

So I am making my way through FF13 (it's the first FF game I've ever played) and I am really enjoying it. So much so that I would like to go back and play some others once I'm finished with this.

The thing is I only own a 360, and would obviously need to purchase another console to play them on. From what I've seen, both the PS1 and PS2 had a bunch of different versions, as well as the Nintendo DS.

Are the versions on the DS the same as the ones released for the PS1?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-10, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Question for Final Fantasy fans...

I-III were originally released on the NES, but only part I ever came out in the US in its original version. I & II have since been re-released for PS1 ("Final Fantasy Origins", Features both games), PSP (Both Games released seperately), and Game Boy Advance ("Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls"). They're all basically the same, slightly upgraded from the originals graphics wise, and I think the PSP and GBA versions might have some extra dungeons or something. The only release part III ever got in the US is the DS version, which was a 3D remake.

Parts IV-VI were originally released for SNES. Part V never came out in the US. IV was titled II in the US, and VI was titled III. Confused yet? Part VI has been re-released (under it's original japanese numbering) for PS1 ("Final Fantasy Chronicles", which is a combo pack with "Chrono Trigger" as the second game, a really great Square RPG, but doesn't actually have anything to do with Final Fantasy), GBA, and has been remade in 3D (ala FFIII) for the DS. Parts V and VI were re-released for PS1 ("Final Fantasy Anthology", a combo pack of both), and GBA (released sperately). I don't think there have been any other US releases of those games.

Parts VII-IX (at this point, we went back to the Japanese numbering for US releases) were originally released on PS1, and that's pretty much the only release of any of them, (though parts VII and VIII have been released on PSN, and can be downloaded and played on a PSP now).

Parts X, XI, and XII were originally released on PS2, and XI was also given a release on Xbox. XI is a MMORPG though, and personally I wouldn't reccomend getting into it at all.

So the console which will allow you to play the most games in the main series is the PS2 (or a backward compatible PS3, but the PS2 is much cheaper, and much easier to score, since sony doesn't make backward compatible PS3's anymore), which will allow you to play I,II, and IV-XII. On a DS Lite with a GBA slot, you could concievably play the first 6 games in the series. If it has the same number, it's basically the same game (unless it's part II or III for SNES), though certain versions may contain enhanced graphics or added features. There are also several spin off games which aren't part of the main series which I didn't include.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 03-23-10 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-22-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

The ones on the ds are remakes of 3 and 4. If you have a lire they released some FFs on GBA 5 and 6 i believe.

If you get a ps2 you can get pretty much every FF title except for 3. 1,2, 4-6, and 7-9 are available on ps1 as well as Chrono Trigger in one of the collections as ps2 can play ps1 games. 10 and 12 are also available on ps2. Hope that helps.
Old 03-23-10, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Based on your enjoyment of XIII I would suggest that you play VIII, X, X-2 and XII since those are the most similar in theme.

Personally I stopped playing the franchise some time back. I made it part of the way through VIII and stopped. For me, they really got away from what made the franchise interesting and good - a mix of magic and fantasy. VII was great, but I think that's because despite the technology "modernity" element, they still retained that sense of mystery while exploring the world.

VIII lost that mix and drifted too far into the realm of technology and sci-fi. Also, they've tweaked the control/battle system so many times, as well as added so many side games that it's really overwhelming. And if that wasn't enough (and this may have changed) the summon system became rediculious. The graphics were cool, but after you summon something for the 3rd time I no longer want to see the entire sequence and yet it takes 20+ seconds...
Old 03-23-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I & II have since been re-released for PS1 ("Final Fantasy Origins", Features both games), PSP (Both Games released seperately), and Game Boy Advance ("Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls").
And iPhone / iPod touch.
Old 03-23-10, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I know I'm in a minority, but I really liked FFX-2. After playing VII,VIII, IX, and X, I really enjoyed the lighter tone of X2, and I thought the sphere grid system opened up the customizability of the skills/classes - some of the other games, even though the skills were stored on a huge map, they still seemed somewhat limited and not very free-ranging.
I think the PS2 would allow you to get the most FF action in one console.
Old 03-23-10, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get Final Fantasy I, II, IV, V and VI for the GBA, III and IV for the DS.

So a DS Lite will get you through the classic series.

But since you started with XIII I'd probably suggest skipping the good ones and starting with VII (skipping IX).