Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Toy Story' (Blu-ray)

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 06:55 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I read Michael Zupan's DVD review of Toy Story at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=41168 and...

nice review Michael, although I laughed out loud when you refer to the ~1990 era as Disney's peak period.

One thing I consider a big problem though, is the lack of research in the extras department. These BD releases are missing special features from both the 2000 and 2005 releases of both titles. This has been clearly spelled out on this very forum, and in several other places. A quick search could have verified this.

I believe that any review that is not a first-time release on DVD/BD should be very thorough in mentioning the 'lost' special features. This is very important to a person contemplating a double-dip, and can always be easily verified even if you don't own the original releases.
Old 03-22-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Toy Story' (Blu-ray)

I'll spell it out a little clearly in my review Trevor (thank you for taking the time to read it btw), but I've never been one to report information that I couldn't verify myself, at least, not information that I couldn't find cut and dry information on. I browse the forums here daily, I look at AVS daily, and what I've seen has varied:

"You're only missing out on stuff from the Ultimate Toybox release."

"You're missing out on very very little from the 2005 release, but you're missing out on quite a bit from the Ultimate Toybox release."

"You're missing extras on both sets of releases."

In many cases in my reviews where I comment about information I've seen elsewhere on the web, it's pretty consistent across the board. Unfortunately, I've seen a ton of stuff regarding this release that doesn't mesh with a lot of other comments. A lot of people are genuinely confused, while other reviewers don't mention it at all, or others have 'verified' what they've seen. It was a jumble, so I didn't really bother to get too involved with it. I did however, list everything with an explanation of what's new on this release, as well as a list of the 'classic DVD bonus features' that are included as well, as well as links to previous DVDTalk reviews which already explain what those features are.

I'm always willing to correct or add additional info to my reviews, so please, if you purchase this and can give me a definitive list of what's not included in these releases, shoot me an e-mail and I'll make sure to update that, because I too, want to have the most information in my reviews as possible. I assure you it wasn't due to laziness or to a lack of caring.

Oh, and what can I say about what I felt Disney's peak period had been, heh. I guess I could make an argument for the 1950's, but I really, really didn't care for Alice in Wonderland, and I also really enjoyed Lady and the Tramp but, I don't know... I thought the films that I mentioned as what I considered to be Disney's peak period were a stronger overall bunch. It's tough to compete with Cinderella, Peter Pan, and Sleeping Beauty though!
Old 03-23-10, 09:44 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Understood that it's still not clear cut. I have all three now, and will try to sit down next weekend and figure out what is what. But i imagine someone here or at another major site will beat me to it and we'll have a full list of differences soon.

I was maybe taking out some frustation on you for the even worse attention to extras differences in many other reviews here. I apologize for that.

Repeating myself, but I just really believe that differences in extras should be a priority in any review of a title with multiple releases. Actually, I think it is THE priority on a re-release review, but realize that I may be in the minority on that.

Love how you edited it. I think that's good enough, but will try to make sure we get a full list of differences soon.

I'm finding that very few BD releases really carry over every special feature from all the previous DVD releases.

Thanks for the reply, and the great reviews!
Old 03-24-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Here's what I believe is missing from the Ultimate Toy Box (that I can verify so far just doing a look over on the back of the UTB):
- Tin Toy Short
- Luxo Jr. Short
- The History of Toy Story & Toy Story 2
- 5.1 Sound-Effects Only Track
- Production Notes
- Cast Notes

I'm not exactly sure what's missing from the 2005 release, however. I have that one combined into the Ultimate Toy (I guess making it the ULTIMATE Ultimate Toy Box, lol), but I believe everything from that has been ported over (from looking at the features map that came with that release) except for perhaps the introductions. But again, this is just from a look at the inserts and back cover.