Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rate the latest movies you've seen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget it.

Last edited by caiman; 03-20-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-19-10, 09:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Rate the latest movies you've seen

New movies this week:

- Ninja Assasin (2009) (bluray): I didn't think I would have enjoyed that much initially, but the violence, OTT gore and visuals made the movie, despite some scenes being set too dark (or the fault of the editor). This was entertaining for entertainment's sake. (*** out of five)

- No Distance Left to Run (2009 / UK) (DVD) Fascinating documentary on Britain's premier 'britpop' band: Blur, the bands progression, falling out and subsequent reforming. (****)

- Mcdull, Prince de la Bun (2004 / Hong Kong) (bluray) The sequel to the equally bizarre but very entertaining "My Life as McDull - to aptly detail or even explain the plot would be pointless, as it's almost just a series of absurd mini-moments - not to say it's haphazzard in it's approach to be comprehensive, it's actually part of the films charm. (****)

- Waking Sleeping Beauty (2009 / USA) (DLP) - Exceptional documentary on Disney's Animation department's renaissance of filmmaking between 'The Black Cauldron' - to the studio's behemoth success story: 'The Lion King' It's also about the studio heads: Roy E. Diseny, Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg battling it out amongst themselves. (*****)
Old 03-20-10, 06:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

FYI, many already do this in the monthly watched threads and the weekly 'what are you watching' threads.

Not knocking this idea, just pointing out the current threads where some do or one could do this.
Old 03-20-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a sticky at the top of this forum conveniently titles "Rank em' as you see em'", along with the weekly "Wht are you watching" threads.

This thread is highly unecessary.
Old 03-20-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by caiman
Thread justification: we have this thread, which is all well and good, but it really only serves movies in theaters since the beginning of the year.
Nonsense. If you peruse that thread, you'll see nearly everyone who keeps up with it segregates or at least denotes whether the viewing was a theatrical exhibition, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. Most posters include dates with their viewings, as well as their own rating scale, to boot.

There really doesn't seem to be a general spot here at DVDTalk for ratings and reviews of movies from any era that you happen to see on any medium.
The whole damn forum is for this! If you want to share your thoughts on a movie, go to the movies forum. If there's a thread about the movie, contribute there. If there's not a thread, start one. If you're unsure, start one anyway, and someone is sure to let you know you should have searched harder and bumped an old one, into which your new thread will be merged.

I'm sorry to come off so snotty, I really am. But this thread concept ignores entirely too much of the rest of the forum for me to support.
Old 03-20-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by caiman; 03-20-10 at 12:34 PM.