Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What Bonus Features would you like to see in a DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 03-19-10, 01:23 PM

Location: The Nova Catacumba Exhibition Center on Estrella De Tiago, an Asteroid orbiting the Moon.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the Deal. You work for a Studio and are putting something out on DVD. You are in charge of putting in bonus features with the Movie or Program. I'm asking you what Bonus Features would you place in a DVD?

I'll start this show with the 1968 Version of the Movie Heidi which got some infamy because of a decision by NBC to cut off the last minute of a Football game in order to get the Movie Shown on time. While the Movie Played, one of the teams (The New York Jets) Rallied with THREE Touchdowns to win the game! Those who lived in the Central and Eastern Time Zones missed out on the Rally! When the word got out about this, Irate viewers SWAMPED NBC with thousands of Angry Phone Calls, and this became known as "The Heidi Game".

I would put out a special "NFL Version" of this Movie. It would begin with the Raiders-Jets Game right after the Two-Minute Warning. Then with 58 Seconds to go, the Movie Begins. At the appropiate moment, the Final Score is scrolled across the screen. (If my Calculations are correct, this is when all H-E-(Double Hockey Sticks) Began)! The Movie would play to its conclusion, then the Bonuses would resume. First, there would be interviews with those who were involved with the decision to start the Movie over the Game, along with Players from both Teams, ect. Newscasts about the Incident would also be included. Last but not least, the final 58 seconds of the game would be shown!

What do you think, and do any of you have any Ideas of your own for other Shows and Movies.
Old 03-19-10, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What Bonus Features would you like to see in a DVD?

I'd love a Steven Spielberg commentary....for any of his movies, but mainly E.T., Jurassic Park (1 and 2), Hook, Indiana Jones (Last Crusade and Raiders), and Close Encounters. On the TV side of things, I'd like to see a complete series set of Still Standing. I really don't understand why this isn't available. One of the show's leads, Renee Olstead, has been, for the last few years, on the (as far as I understand. I don't watch it.) popular show Secret Life Of An American Teenager. You'd think it would sell well. Commentaries for it would be great. You have Mark Addy, who was in A Knight's Tale and Full Monty, as the dad. Jami Gertz, who was in Lost Boys and Square Pegs, as the mom. Renee Olstead, as the oldest daughter. Sally Struthers, who was Gloria on All In The Family, is one of the grandmothers. And, later on in the show, Swoosi Kurtz is the other grandmother. I can't count all the great shows and movies she's been in. These would be some great commentaries. I almost forgot. Justine Bateman was in more than a few episode as the lesbian neighbor. She's pretty funny.
Old 03-19-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVD-Rom / BD-Rom feature of access to Google Earth.
Showing the film's shooting locations and photos of then/now
Old 03-19-10, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

That Heidi movie seems to be in the public domain right now. I'd love to see it as it originally aired! I'd buy ANYTHING shown on TV from the pre-VCR era if they had it EXACTLY as it first aired, including commercials and news updates!
Old 03-20-10, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I assume from the plurality of the thread title I am not restricted to a singular feature. Here goes:

You'd have to use a time machine, but I'd love to have a commentary track on From Russia with Love by John F. Kennedy. (It's reported to have been the last movie the president ever saw, in a private screening at the White House.)

Otherwise, you know that thing they did with this year's Oscars, where they played a clip and showed text from the nominated screenplay over it? I'd be interested in something like that. Maybe for something like Sideways or Lost in Translation.

It wouldn't do me any good since my Crohn's won't let me drink anymore, but I'd love to have a drinking game track. The movie and the game are irrelevant, but let's say it's for...oh, I dunno...The Wizard of Oz. Let's say you're following The Cowardly Lion and you have to drink every time he laughs nervously. Each time he does this, a little graphic would call it to your attention, so that even if you were too busy laughing or being drunk to notice, the TV screen would ensure that you took your shot. (Incidentally, if you ever try to take a shot every time a Transformer transforms or dies in The Transformers: The Movie, you'll be lucky to make it Optimus Prime's arrival on Earth.)
Old 03-20-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would love an audience reaction track on the original Star Wars.... It would be the same as an optional sitcom laugh track, only with the screams & cheers of a fan filled audience... What was really funny, in '77, the biggest cheer (carefully worded as to not use a spoiler) was the moment right after Vader said "I have you now!" but I saw it several times in the 97 rerelease with vocal crowds, there was no cheer there, because everyone knew what was coming....
Old 03-20-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

-Terrence Malick commentary track.
-Terrence Malick interview.
Old 03-20-10, 09:22 PM
Cool New Member

I like it when they include a 2nd film as the bonus, ie :

Liliom (1934) with Carousel (1956)
The Todd - AO and Cinemascope versions of Oklahoma! (1955)
The German and English versions (shot back to back) of Nosferatu (1979)
The 1925 version of Ben - Hur with the 1959 version
etc.
Old 03-21-10, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chadm
-Terrence Malick commentary track.
-Terrence Malick interview.
How about just a picture of the man. I have never seen what he looks like.
Old 03-21-10, 05:35 AM
Def

heaps of bloopers!!
Old 03-21-10, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Hi, it's Terrence Malick. Why do you want to see me so badly?"
Old 03-21-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

A feature that would hook up with your social networks and friends could leave little comments audio commentary style about a movie.

You could rank your friends so that if they comment on the same scene it would default to your list. On more popular movies you might get a full audio commentary out of the right group of friends.

You would need easy block features so that ex-bosses and people you haven't seen since the 8th grade wouldn't be popping up all the time, although that could be part of the fun.

A feature that would allow you to pick which deleted scenes were put back into the movie and save that selection for future viewing.