Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anything like a Wega - but cheaper?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anything like a Wega - but cheaper?

Old 08-05-00, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking for a 20-27 inch TV for DVD playback. Is there anything out there that's almost as good (or better) than a Wega but cheaper?

-Thanks
Old 08-05-00, 05:54 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 75 Posts
It depends on what you are looking for. I like the Wega flat screen because it has great contrast and brightness, and it reduces ambient light glare (important for me because my TV is placed very near a window).

Given those criteria, I would look at the Panasonic Superflat series--they are not as flat as the Wega but they come close and they are a lot cheaper.

Sony also recently came out with a new line of Wega TVs. I don't know the model number but I have seen both a 27" and a 32". There may be other differences, but the most visible is that the speakers are at the bottom instead of on the sides. These new TVs are about $100 cheaper than the previous model for the 27" unit (roughly $600 vs $700). If you really want a Wega, that may be the way to go, especially if you plan to hook up to external speakers anyway. But be sure you check to see if there are other differences that I don't know about.
Old 08-05-00, 06:44 PM

Thanks - but I just checked out the Panasonic Superflat 27 inch, and it seems to be about the same price as the cheaper 27 inch Wega. I have found both for around $600, but I'm trying to find something cheaper.

[This message has been edited by peskoe150 (edited August 05, 2000).]
Old 08-05-00, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish
Old 08-07-00, 02:26 AM

peskoe150,

I have a 36" WEGA and it is GREAT! One thing you might try is going to a SONY outlet, where they have refurbs (same warranty as new), or do what I did. I went to The Wiz and bargained with them. I bought my WEGA when it first came out and got them down to $1600. This was about 2 years ago, and they were offered at $2100. My point is, I'm sure you can do the same with a 20"-27". There is a Sony outlet in Woodbury Common, Rockland County New York.

Good luck!

Peace,

Morley

Old 08-07-00, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One BIG advantage to the new WEGAs that has not been mentioned is the "squeeze trick" or Anamorphic Mode. Previously available only on the XBR line and now standard on almost all 32 and 36 models, the squeeze trick consists of a compression of the vertical display area by 1/3. When the TV detects a 16X9 signal the TV will automatically self adjust and display the full 480 lines of anamorphic image. On standard NTSC TVs 1/3 of the resolution is automatically lost due to scan line down conversion.

This alone makes the WEGAs worth the few hundred extra.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...