Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Playstation2 DVD Playback Quality?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Playstation2 DVD Playback Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-00, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has there been any review or first hand viewing of the Ps 2 DVD playback? Is it a viable alternative to a dedicated player? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-00, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, kinda interested in this myself

Read somewhere it is not that great though... if you find out something post it here!
Old 08-04-00, 07:06 PM

I read a review somewhere (I think express.com) that said it had good video quality and EXCELLENT audio quality (when hooked up to a good receiver). I talked to a guy that was selling the Japanese version with the region 1 DVD and he said the video played well. He said it is not worth the $$$ to buy an imported PS2 though. The only thing I don't like that I heard was that the player will lack features of any kind. All it will do is play the disc, you can't adjust much with audio and video, but for $299 for a PS1, PS2 and DVD player, I can live with it! (especially since it will be used in my car!)
Old 08-04-00, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The DVD playback quality is good/acceptable but it is not as good as a stand alone dedicated DVD player. If you are really into watching movies then my advice is to buy a seperate DVD player and buy the PS2 for it's main purpose- game playing capability. On a side note for those who are wondering about the remote control issue their is an infra red adapter and remote coming out for it.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-05-00, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
There is already an infra-red remote out. It is made by, I think, Interact. It is very basic. But, it's still a wireless remote! And, it's only $20 (same price you'd pay for a half-way decent remote from Radio Shack)
Old 08-05-00, 07:58 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaun3000:
There is already an infra-red remote out. It is made by, I think, Interact. It is very basic. But, it's still a wireless remote! And, it's only $20 (same price you'd pay for a half-way decent remote from Radio Shack)<HR>

Have you actually seen it. I have not seen it anywhere yet. It kind of seems ridiculous to release an accessory for a system that has not been released yet. You must be mistaken. As far as I know it is still in development.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 08-05-00, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reviews I have seen in different mags and website articles have stated the DVD quality was nothing less than what they have on the market as stand alones.......
Old 08-05-00, 10:33 AM
Topgun94

The playback quality may be better on the US PS2 systems. The US systems will have a hardware decoding board instead of the software decoding the Japanese models use.
Old 08-05-00, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Topgun94:
The playback quality may be better on the US PS2 systems. The US systems will have a hardware decoding board instead of the software decoding the Japanese models use.<HR>

You are absolutely correct....the US PS2 is going to be better than the Japanese counterpart.....seems like we always obtain a better version of items here in the states which is why I do not mind waiting six months or so for games or systems....gives the company time to fix all of the problems!!!
Old 08-05-00, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is very very cool!
Eagerly waiting for final product reviews...
Old 08-05-00, 02:54 PM

too bad no dts , but I'm still getting mine!
Old 08-06-00, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:

Have you actually seen it. I have not seen it anywhere yet. It kind of seems ridiculous to release an accessory for a system that has not been released yet. You must be mistaken. As far as I know it is still in development.

<HR>

Sorry, it's not out NOW. The system is not out. I meant that it will be available on the release day for PS2. The EBWorld site says it comes out sometime in September, even though PS2 comes out in Oct...
Old 08-06-00, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tavarua88:
too bad no dts , but I'm still getting mine!<HR>

i thought the ps2 would have a digital out to connect to a receiver that passes dts signals as well... ?
Old 08-06-00, 03:08 AM
Topgun94

quote:<HR>Originally posted by tavarua88:
too bad no dts , but I'm still getting mine!<HR>

I think it passes both DD and DTS, so as long as you have a decoder in your receiver it should work.

Old 08-06-00, 03:12 AM

My friend went to visit Japan and brought one back. We tested it with a few movies. I think the video quality is great. We used the game controller to select from menus. And the video was just as good as most stand alones. But ease of use I don't think it is as easy. I will get one for games (because they are AWESOME) but will stick with my 5109 while playing movies.
Old 08-06-00, 05:17 AM

Duct tape an oritron player to a Sega dreamcast and you've got an infinitely better system.
Old 08-06-00, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh well, i'm just buying it for the games.
Old 08-06-00, 05:13 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local Software Etc. now has the PS2 on display that you can play. The game it was running (Tekken Tag) was not impressive at all. I do have a Dreamcast, but I also have a PSX, N64, 3DO, Jaguar, and others--so I'm not inherently biased to Sega or anything. The game was very grainy just like the orignal PSX games. Soul Calibur and Mvc2 are far better in terms of visuals alone (and I suspect gameplay but I didn't wait in line to play the game). Even the unbiased reports of japan say that the PS2 isn't anywhere close to what it was hyped up to be.

Nevertheless, the employees of Software Etc. continue to tell their customers it is the best thing since sliced bread. One of them even said that the PS2 was worth it just because you would never have to buy another DVD player again because if anything new comes out you can just download it to the system (ostensibly with the modem that isn't included).

Anyway, I will most likely get a PS2 eventually, but I doubt i will get it on reease date as I usually do with new systems. In the meantime, those wanting a next gen system really should check out the Dreamcast.
Old 08-06-00, 05:19 PM

AMEN JM